IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2020/08/13/a-brief-analysis-of-marcel-brands-signings-for-everton/

I thought this was quite a fair article.

The two things that caught my eye were the effectiveness of Mina when he played and despite them both being frustrating, Iwobi and Bernard were two of our most creative outlets.

I also read an article the other day which trumped the virtues of Mina. The interesting point that was made was in respect of how Ancelotti will want us to play in the future. At the end of this season we sat quite deep and soaked up quite a lot of pressure and that is something that suits Keane but not Holgate. Holgate's strengths lie with his ability on the ball and using his pace to and reading of the play to get back in and cover. Keane's strengths lie in sitting in a deep block and making clearance after clearance. Mina has the more all round game to either play deep or nearer the half way line as he is deceptively quick. Whilst Keane may have played really well after restart, there must be a question mark over whether that form will continue should we try and squeeze up the field a lot more next season.

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2020/08/13/a-brief-analysis-of-marcel-brands-signings-for-everton/

I thought this was quite a fair article.

The two things that caught my eye were the effectiveness of Mina when he played and despite them both being frustrating, Iwobi and Bernard were two of our most creative outlets.

I also read an article the other day which trumped the virtues of Mina. The interesting point that was made was in respect of how Ancelotti will want us to play in the future. At the end of this season we sat quite deep and soaked up quite a lot of pressure and that is something that suits Keane but not Holgate. Holgate's strengths lie with his ability on the ball and using his pace to and reading of the play to get back in and cover. Keane's strengths lie in sitting in a deep block and making clearance after clearance. Mina has the more all round game to either play deep or nearer the half way line as he is deceptively quick. Whilst Keane may have played really well after restart, there must be a question mark over whether that form will continue should we try and squeeze up the field a lot more next season.

reading it now, i've always rated Mina, i don't get the slack he gets on here, but to each their own.  he's awkward because he's so big like fellaini was, maybe that's why people are slagging him.

ok finished reading. he didn't do Lossl, Branthwaite, Virginia, and Zouma (loan).  could have been a better balanced article if he talked about outgoings as well.  

1 hour ago, BedfordBlue said:

Stopped reading when he gave Kean and Gomes the same mark.

Both players have shown glimpses of what they can do but reverted to not doing it anywhere it 

Gomes may just be a B- and Keane a C+.... not much in it.

Fans need to get out of this mindset where they judge a player by how good he is on his day.... it needs to consider how many days they have and how many times they go missing.  Gomes is horrendous for consistency - gylfi/schneiderlein levels of consistency which is unacceptable for a player of his experience and talent. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Both players have shown glimpses of what they can do but reverted to not doing it anywhere it 

Gomes may just be a B- and Keane a C+.... not much in it.

Fans need to get out of this mindset where they judge a player by how good he is on his day.... it needs to consider how many days they have and how many times they go missing.  Gomes is horrendous for consistency - gylfi/schneiderlein levels of consistency which is unacceptable for a player of his experience and talent. 

Gomes played regular Kean has barely featured how can they be the same rating. Before his injury Gomes was one off the better players

Gomes played regular Kean has barely featured how can they be the same rating. Before his injury Gomes was one off the better players

It's analysis of the "signings".

Before his injury Gomes was inconsistent and having absolute stinkers.  Why is it people are forgetting that? For me, if Gomes carries on with those levels of inconsistency then we will have to sell him.  It's not fitness related, in his first game back he was pinging balls all over the place setting up attacks. 

He has issues which can only be described as psychological  - he literally can be 4/10 or 9/10. 

Moise Kean has shown what he can do and he's a bloody kid.  He turned 20 this year and is plying his trade in a new country amongst a bunch of mercenaries.   He will be a top striker. He has shown his upside which is he has pace, power, is direct, skilful and can finish. 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It's analysis of the "signings".

Before his injury Gomes was inconsistent and having absolute stinkers.  Why is it people are forgetting that? For me, if Gomes carries on with those levels of inconsistency then we will have to sell him.  It's not fitness related, in his first game back he was pinging balls all over the place setting up attacks. 

He has issues which can only be described as psychological  - he literally can be 4/10 or 9/10. 

Moise Kean has shown what he can do and he's a bloody kid.  He turned 20 this year and is plying his trade in a new country amongst a bunch of mercenaries.   He will be a top striker. He has shown his upside which is he has pace, power, is direct, skilful and can finish. 

I know kean is young and I haven't given up on him but he showed nothing last season to suggest he will ever be any good. I really hope he can show more in his second season 

I know kean is young and I haven't given up on him but he showed nothing last season to suggest he will ever be any good. I really hope he can show more in his second season 

I've not seen anything from Gomes to suggest that he is going to be a highly frustrating, inconsistent player in a key position.

Gomes has been here alot longer than kean, has more experience and should not resemble a kid going through second season syndrome. 

Which makes both ratings probably about right.  Honestly.... count the number.ber of us.es where Gomes has played to the leg that made him a sign at all costs player? It's less than 10. 

6 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I've not seen anything from Gomes to suggest that he is going to be a highly frustrating, inconsistent player in a key position.

Gomes has been here alot longer than kean, has more experience and should not resemble a kid going through second season syndrome. 

Which makes both ratings probably about right.  Honestly.... count the number.ber of us.es where Gomes has played to the leg that made him a sign at all costs player? It's less than 10. 

I thought Gomes was pretty consistent before the injury every player has bad games 

25 minutes ago, BedfordBlue said:

I thought Gomes was pretty consistent before the injury every player has bad games 

No. He wasn't tbh.  This is the problem with players like him and Gylfi. .. their occasional brilliance seems to cover alot of crap.  Read through the match threads and his thread.  

46 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

No. He wasn't tbh.  This is the problem with players like him and Gylfi. .. their occasional brilliance seems to cover alot of crap.  Read through the match threads and his thread.  

Having watched him write alot, mostly on tv prior to his injury he was constantly very good. After the injury not so much  which is understandable. Especially if you factor in the constant changing of midfield partners, and managers. 

Like most of the squad I want to see them once Carlo has had a full preseason with them, and a settled team.

17 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Like most of the squad I want to see them once Carlo has had a full preseason with them, and a settled team.

That's not going to be this season though realistically is it? It starts in less than four weeks so a "full" pre-season is impossible to get in.

59 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's not going to be this season though realistically is it? It starts in less than four weeks so a "full" pre-season is impossible to get in.

True, but it will be 3 or 4 weeks with everyone together, no abstractions andvthe same for all other teams. Addedvto the time he has already had with them will show who has / can develop and who cant. This could be affected by late signings, but thats also true of everyone else in the league. 

I'm with Haf on this. Whilst I think he was better pre-injury he was still very inconsistent, sometimes looking like a player to build your team around and then other weeks not finding a another blue shirt with a pass and completely unable to get near an opposition player. 

The hope for me is that he would improve in his second season with us, fully settled in with his future sorted. It didn't look likely pre-injury.

Honestly chaps.... December to spring it was a huge debate as to what's up with him etc. His upside is there for all to see but honestly.....  this whole "he's not been right after injury" is bollocks.... he's massively inconsistent and it's a concern.

On 05/01/2019 at 17:00, Hafnia said:

It seems many on here including myself have been quick to get excited over gomes

On 05/01/2019 at 17:11, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i'm not his biggest fan but for 20m it's a no brainer.  like i said even 30m is fine, anything over that and he would need to show his early season form a lot more often for me.  

On 05/01/2019 at 19:52, Matt said:

That he’s a quality, quality player who’s having a rough patch along with the rest of the team in a crowded schedule.

He’s a step above any player we’ve had in decades. 

On 05/01/2019 at 20:39, Hafnia said:

I thought the same and still think ability wise he's another level..  I'm concerned the drop is not tiredness though. 

Been bitten before like this with schneiderlein and Barkley. 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:04, Shukes said:

Starting to think we’ve seen him at his very best, and hay his average game.... just isn’t very good. Is this why he isn’t getting a chance at Barca? 

His passing is atrocious. It’s not the hard balls either, it’s the simple ten yard passes that he can’t seem to hit a player with. 

Mots easy to play a 40 yard ball into a player with space, they have a few seconds to get into position to receive a ball, but to play a short ball you have to be an accurate passer, and he just isn’t. 

Im afraid he just isn’t the answer to or dilemma. Dacoure, would be a much better option. Tough and dynamic.

On 19/01/2019 at 17:06, Matt said:

Think he needs time out of the squad, get his head together. Also don’t think he’s a DCM either and considering the attacking quartet aren’t holding the all up, he’s not able to play his natural game 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:16, Hafnia said:

Not worth what's been quoted. Mentally flawed. Sad but true.  Hes like Barkley as I said weeks ago....  fuck all to do with tiredness.  That lot played 120 minutes midweek. 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:17, Bailey said:

There is definitely a missing part of the puzzle with him and I think it might be between the ears. 

On 20/01/2019 at 13:49, Finn balor said:

He’s come in for a bit of stick the last few games .i think mainly because of how well he started. The lad is a quality footballer, he’s had a dip that’s all. He will come good again lads 

On 20/01/2019 at 20:25, MikeO said:

He wasn't average yesterday though I wish he had been, it would've been a huge step up from what I saw.

On 27/01/2019 at 11:49, Bailey said:

I am now beginning to wonder whether he made such an impression coming into the side because he was the most rounded midfielder we have had since Barry and McCarthy were at their best.

He does always look forward and he wants play the right way. He is very good on the half turn, which is an admirable trait in midfielders, but whilst he is technically good his passing decisions aren't great and his shooting is crap. He is a petulant and rash tackler, he doesn't really compete that much in the air and he is useless at tracking runners for set pieces.

I do think there is a very good player there, especially once he is fully settled but I think the price would definitely have to be right as I think our priority should be for a more dominant midfielder ahead of him.

On 27/01/2019 at 14:01, StevO said:

I’m at the point where it might be worth trying him with Schneiderlin in midfield, not because Gana is doing anything wrong just to try a player alongside who might bring something else out in his game. At this point anything is worth a try isn’t it?

Yes he had a dip in January, along with the rest of the team as Silva lost the dressing room.

Any player would struggle with the revolving door of managers we have had over the last 3 years, not to mention the ever changing team in general and midfield in particular. 

Is he perfect no, but he is a very talented player who needs to be loved, that much is clear from his Barca days. So lets give him some love (because he is worth it) and give the team a chance to improve under Carlo. Bit of positivity eh lads. 

I think Gomes might be a bit of a confidence player. If we can get players around him that will make up for his mistakes he might make them a little less often. I think towards the latter end of the season he has been expected to contribute defensively more than he is comfortable with. He lacks any real ability defensively and needs players around him doing that work for him. Then we will get the best out of him. Hopefully Allan is key to getting the best out of him (not to jynx it!). 

I just think Gomes needs someone alongside him to do the donkey work , when he played with Gueye in there I thought he was quality week in week out 

Too many times this season our midfield has been overpowered and bullied and he just doesn’t have the attributes to deal with that

Get him fully fit and throw Allan alongside him and I think he will soon return to form

5 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I just think Gomes needs someone alongside him to do the donkey work , when he played with Gueye in there I thought he was quality week in week out 

Too many times this season our midfield has been overpowered and bullied and he just doesn’t have the attributes to deal with that

Get him fully fit and throw Allan alongside him and I think he will soon return to form

This is exactly how I feel about him but his stats (& I’m first to agree that it’s not all about them) aren’t much different on the whole between him this season and last. 

21 hours ago, London Blue said:

Yes he had a dip in January, along with the rest of the team as Silva lost the dressing room.

Any player would struggle with the revolving door of managers we have had over the last 3 years, not to mention the ever changing team in general and midfield in particular. 

Is he perfect no, but he is a very talented player who needs to be loved, that much is clear from his Barca days. So lets give him some love (because he is worth it) and give the team a chance to improve under Carlo. Bit of positivity eh lads. 

He gets lots of love mate... its time for him to work out what it is that makes him tick rather than fans find excuses for poor mentality. 

3 minutes ago, barryj said:

This is exactly how I feel about him but his stats (& I’m first to agree that it’s not all about them) aren’t much different on the whole between him this season and last. 

I never really  look at stats to be honest but I think there is a world of difference in the way he was playing, for example last season he was full of confidence and pinging superb long range passes all over the place and not all came off,  this season he has looked incapable of passing a ball 5 yards at times and so his pass completion stats may well be similar but the story behind them is very different 

17 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He can be hot and cold, the mentality argument is justified. but he’s definitely better with a worker and he’s had some shitty injuries before and since he joined which will affect anyone. He’s not had one (or at least good enough) on top of recovering from a potentially career ending injury. He needs a season before I can judge him with a partner. 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

He can be hot and cold, the mentality argument is justified. but he’s definitely better with a worker and he’s had some shitty injuries before and since he joined which will affect anyone. He’s not had one (or at least good enough) on top of recovering from a potentially career ending injury. He needs a season before I can judge him with a partner. 

Yeah I agree, in fact I find I’m agreeing with everyone on this (PeteO get your post in now!) 

There is no doubt he is a confidence player and his mentality is fragile, but after his Barca experience I would expect it to be

The fact he played again at all this season is miraculous 

I just think he needs time to get fully fit and an arm around him to build his confidence back up , and who better than Ancelotti to do that, and a minder on the pitch to   do all the dirty work 

We have all witnessed the talent he has , we just need Ancelotti to coax it out of him on a consistent basis 

Im aware that all sound like making excuses and that the club has been blighted by sentimentality but if we get this right we have one hell of a player on our hands, if not we move him on

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He gets lots of love mate... its time for him to work out what it is that makes him tick rather than fans find excuses for poor mentality. 

A settled team, with a regular midfield partner(s) one of whom can do the water carrying with dynamism. Added to a good manager who knows how to get the best out of him and I think that will do the trick I think. All of which he should have after this transfer window, then he just needs the fans to be behind him and the whole team.