IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

No it won't. Someone will still need to lead the scouts, negotiate the contracts and manage the club across all age groups. I imagine that only scratches the surface of what he does too. Brands is probably the most important person at the club at the moment.

Seriously he’s the most important person at the club 😳

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you must be joking, no way in hell he's most important person.  do you think before we had a DOF none of that stuff got done?  of course it did, and it will if he leaves.  

It did get done yeah, in a really shit way. If he left, it could well go back to that too. Which would mean we bring in average/poor players on stupid contracts again who won’t perform as expected and ultimately get the manager sacked. 

Or we could keep the man responsible for the restructure of the behind the scenes and on the field of the last few years around and continue to improve.

im really surprised at how people still don’t value, or even undervalue, what he has done and does.  

51 minutes ago, Matt said:

It did get done yeah, in a really shit way. If he left, it could well go back to that too. Which would mean we bring in average/poor players on stupid contracts again who won’t perform as expected and ultimately get the manager sacked. 

Or we could keep the man responsible for the restructure of the behind the scenes and on the field of the last few years around and continue to improve.

im really surprised at how people still don’t value, or even undervalue, what he has done and does.  

We won’t if the first team recruitments were left to Ancelotti, what are Brands real successes in the first team Digne, unless of course you want to include Bernard Mina Delph Iwobi and Gomes as successful, Richarlison Allan and James came here because of the managers not his picks, I’m a supporter not an owner I’m more interested in what happens on the pitch not what he can save on A4 paper and Staples. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

We won’t if the first team recruitments were left to Ancelotti, what are Brands real successes in the first team Digne, unless of course you want to include Bernard Mina Delph Iwobi and Gomes as successful, Richarlison Allan and James came here because of the managers not his picks, I’m a supporter not an owner I’m more interested in what happens on the pitch not what he can save on A4 paper and Staples. 

Ancelotti offers us a chance at a completely different level of players than we ever had before though.

Id be really disappointed if we didn’t give the 2 of them 2/3 years to build something. It could be pretty special. 

Right now, I feel our fist 11 can mix it with any team - our start showed that. Our depth though is why we are in this position. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

If what happens on the pitch is the concern then don’t worry about the DOF, as a lot of it will be down to Carlo. But Carlo will need the DOF as part of his support network and to make his life easier. The structure of the footballing side of the club will all be down to Marcel, we don’t need a manager wasting time on that stuff anyway. 
For me, if Carlo is happy with Marcel that’s enough for me. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

If what happens on the pitch is the concern then don’t worry about the DOF, as a lot of it will be down to Carlo. But Carlo will need the DOF as part of his support network and to make his life easier. The structure of the footballing side of the club will all be down to Marcel, we don’t need a manager wasting time on that stuff anyway. 
For me, if Carlo is happy with Marcel that’s enough for me. 

I agree Carlo would find it easier to have someone  cross the T’s and dot the I’s on his acquisitions, whether that has to be someone on close to 6 million a year is debatable, but like I said I’m a supporter not an owner, so I’m just interested that every Saturday we win so I want the best manager in position to get his own players in and move us forward, and with Carlo we are getting there, if Brands went tomorrow I wouldn’t in the least be concerned if Carlo went tomorrow I would be very concerned. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree Carlo would find it easier to have someone  cross the T’s and dot the I’s on his acquisitions, whether that has to be someone on close to 6 million a year is debatable, but like I said I’m a supporter not an owner, so I’m just interested that every Saturday we win so I want the best manager in position to get his own players in and move us forward, and with Carlo we are getting there, if Brands went tomorrow I wouldn’t in the least be concerned if Carlo went tomorrow I would be very concerned. 

But the job is more than just complete the signings. It’s overseeing all of the footballing side of the club. That’s the scouting network all over the world, the many coaches that run all of the kids teams up to the first team, it’s overseeing what Unsworth does with the academy, it’s the players out on loan, it’s how we use the facilities, it’s making sure equipment and other costs are paid for. It’s plenty of stuff that we don’t want Carlo worrying about. Moyes used to love being involved in all of this, Carlo doesn’t, so having someone else do it is great. And if the going rate for someone at a high level doing this is £6m then it’s got to be paid. 

Add to that future planning. A manager can’t really look too far to the future, most don’t last two years, so having someone who can look at how the team might be in five years without the burden of pressure is another positive. Also someone strong enough to keep Moshiri and Kenwright out of footballing decisions is a massive bonus too. 

This is how the big clubs all around the world run. We need to do the same. 

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

If it was it would have been offered.  You don’t let people run down contracts unless you want them gone. Simple as that.

No, it’s not simple as that. It could be that he is looking to move on himself and not interested in signing a new one. 

However, what’s most likely is that he’s concentrating on January dealings, there is a deal in principle on the table and he’s just getting on with his job. If January goes well, he might be in a position to say “actually, can we add/change this bit”. 

22 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you must be joking, no way in hell he's most important person.  do you think before we had a DOF none of that stuff got done?  of course it did, and it will if he leaves.  

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

Seriously he’s the most important person at the club 😳

I am very serious, albeit maybe I should have said his role is the most important one at the club and therefore by extension he is.

He manages everything to do with the playing side of the club. I also expect he has a hand in the commercial side of things as well, albeit a minor role when dealing with the commercial aspects of player contracts. 

It amazes me that people think he is basically a glorified scout and equally as much that they think Carlo will just go and take it all over and it will be fine. I'm not sure Carlo at his age would fancy doing all that extra work and he would definitely want more money! 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

If it was it would have been offered.  You don’t let people run down contracts unless you want them gone. Simple as that.

For all we know it has been offered or is further along than has been reported. The Echo reported we weren’t signing James or making any permanent signings the summer just gone and remind me what happened there...

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

How do you know his contract hasn’t been offered?

Not one of us have the slightest clue as to what he may or may not have agreed with Moshiri. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

How do you know his contract hasn’t been offered?

Not one of us have the slightest clue as to what he may or may not have agreed with Moshiri. 

because it has been asked time and again and the response is the same "we will evaluate in the summer".  which i take as the business version of the "vote of confidence".

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

because it has been asked time and again and the response is the same "we will evaluate in the summer".  which i take as the business version of the "vote of confidence".

It’s been asked time and time again? It makes the local news every blue moon. 
Exactly, it’s how you take it. It’s not fact. 

We are also not being linked with loads of other directors of football, so doesn’t that tell you something?

Maybe Marcel and Moshiri are both just very comfortable and have everything in place and aren’t in any sort of rush. 

I think you’re looking for a story where there isn’t one. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He has said there will be no January incomings at tonight’s AGM.

Personally, I think this is a massive mistake and missed opportunity with the league being as close this season. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/12187988/everton-transfer-news-marcel-brands-focusing-on-offloading-players-with-no-arrivals-expected

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He has said there will be no January incomings at tonight’s AGM.

Personally, I think this is a massive mistake and missed opportunity with the league being as close this season. 

I agree mostly... But it could also be seen as being sensible and continuing to make the necessary changes gradually, rather than too quickly as we’ve seen in the past. Frustrating for sure but I see the logic. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I agree mostly... But it could also be seen as being sensible and continuing to make the necessary changes gradually, rather than too quickly as we’ve seen in the past. Frustrating for sure but I see the logic. 

I'm not talking about bringing in 3 or 4 here, Matt. I'm talking about doing something that means we don't have to play Sigurdsson as a CF.

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not talking about bringing in 3 or 4 here, Matt. I'm talking about doing something that means we don't have to play Sigurdsson as a CF.

And I agree with you, just pointing out the potential logic behind the decision. Also knowing that it could just be games too 

He's hardly going to come out and say we are going to make X amount of signings, for players X, Y & Z for X amount of money. I get that he probably didn't need to say anything at all but I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt to be honest - if someone is available at the right price I'm sure a deal will be done. In my opinion it's just Brands stating in public that we don't need to sign which therefore strengthens our arm in any negotiations. 

Just now, pete0 said:

Before we sign anyone we'd need to get rid of a first team player otherwise we'll have another £100k a week on a someone who can't play outside of Finch farm.

I agree with this too, as uninspiring as it is there are still a lot of players on big contracts that need to be cleared out before we can go again; Delph and Bolasie the two that spring to mind. 

11 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’ve lost track of all the deadwood we have in the squad now. 
Are Besic and Pennington still there?

Pennington is on loan at Shrewsbury and will be out of contract this summer. Unbelievable that he's still on the books at 26 years of age!