IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Well, Digne was a bargain. He negotiated Rodriguez on a free transfer. He negotiated Doucoure for £16 million less than what we had been willing to pay for him. Branthwaite. Nkounkou.

Yeah negotiations seem to be very very good, but is there anything to suggest he actually handles them? And if so, how much of a say does he have in them? 

In terms of actually bringing specific players in, which i thought was his primary job role, from who you have mentioned Digne and Doucoure are the only two first team players I would imagine are his targets. Branthwaite and Nkounkou look good so far but all in all are unproven. 

I'm playing devil's advocate a little, but could he be a bit over rated? He talks the talk well, but has he done enough so far? 

Zouma (L), Gomes (L), Mina, Bernard, Digne, Richarlison   

Delph, Gomes, Gbamin, Kean, Iwobi, Jarrad

Neils, Allan, Doucoure, James, Godfrey 

Since hes arrived these are most of our signings. Im not sure which ones are specifically his targets but we can rule out Richarlison, Allan and James. 

Just to add to his negotiation skills, we paid £25m for Kean, £27m for Iwobi, £27m for Mina, and £22.5m for Gbamin (yet to be proven). 

30 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Yeah negotiations seem to be very very good, but is there anything to suggest he actually handles them? And if so, how much of a say does he have in them? 

In terms of actually bringing specific players in, which i thought was his primary job role, from who you have mentioned Digne and Doucoure are the only two first team players I would imagine are his targets. Branthwaite and Nkounkou look good so far but all in all are unproven. 

I'm playing devil's advocate a little, but could he be a bit over rated? He talks the talk well, but has he done enough so far? 

He’s our Director of Football so based on that I’ll go with him doing most, if not all, of that because I can’t go and ask Moshiri and I’m not going to guess.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’s our Director of Football so based on that I’ll go with him doing most, if not all, of that because I can’t go and ask Moshiri and I’m not going to guess.

I thought negotiations would be carried out by an actual negotiator. I don't understand it at all really. 

• 4 weeks later...

why would he go to roma?  they are a mess.  they signed Monchi as DOF and it was 2 bad years and he resigned to get out of there and then said the owner was at odds with him.  the next DOF Petrachi was fired less than a year later, he also hit out at the owner whom he said he spoke to 2 times in his whole time there.  he said if they got a different owner he would come back, they did not.

Marcel is a bright guy, he's not going to a shit show of a club like Roma.  he did due diligence for the Everton gig for years.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

why would he go to roma?  they are a mess.  they signed Monchi as DOF and it was 2 bad years and he resigned to get out of there and then said the owner was at odds with him.  the next DOF Petrachi was fired less than a year later, he also hit out at the owner whom he said he spoke to 2 times in his whole time there.  he said if they got a different owner he would come back, they did not.

Marcel is a bright guy, he's not going to a shit show of a club like Roma.  he did due diligence for the Everton gig for years.

Heartbreaking too, even Francesco Totti left the boardroom which tells you everything you need to know. Roma are a phenomenal club, in an outstanding city and should be so much more. It'd be strange and disappointing to see Brands go there and I'd like to think that any money they offer him we would match. 

On the subject of Italian football, if you want to see how things should be done look at Juventus, relegated as part of the match fixing scandal but rebuilt and are now virtually untouchable. They don't get enough credit for me.

ok i just said all that but i didn't realize they just got a new owner.  the shitty american owner is gone, another american billionaire has now bought them (just this summer).  i still don't think it's a great situation but this new owner could be trying to woo Marcel with wads of cash and his run of the team to try and build a winner.  

only way i see Marcel going is if Carlo/Farhad have another DOF lined up (Marcel's contract ends this summer i believe) and he just needs another job after this.

• 3 weeks later...

Its interesting because if that article was penned 4 games into the season, I suspect it would have struck a different tone.

Regardless of how well some of the players that have come in have actually performed, you can largely see the logic behind them all. Unfortunately in football, nothing is guaranteed and things don't always work out at that moment. Who knows what type of player Gbamin could have been had he stayed fit and we ultimately have a striker on the books playing for a leading Champions League side.

Brands was ultimately brought in for the long term success of this club and he will a lot longer if he is to help turn us around from where we were 3 years ago.

Letting his contract run down, nothing said about it, we ll talk at the end of the year.  

I  believe brands will be gone.  If he were to stay that contract would be been renewed in the summer and not let to run down.

brands has some good signings but also the managers to help get them (richarlison, james, Allan).  The only diamond in the rough is branthwaite and the jury is still out on him.  For all Walsh’s failings he did net us DCL for 1.5m which I would argue is up there with Coleman for 60k.  I am not saying I like Walsh, not in the least, just stating that for devils advocate on brands.

When he leaves it will be a carlo friend/associate who takes over or no one at all.

50 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Letting his contract run down, nothing said about it, we ll talk at the end of the year.  

I  believe brands will be gone.  If he were to stay that contract would be been renewed in the summer and not let to run down.

brands has some good signings but also the managers to help get them (richarlison, james, Allan).  The only diamond in the rough is branthwaite and the jury is still out on him.  For all Walsh’s failings he did net us DCL for 1.5m which I would argue is up there with Coleman for 60k.  I am not saying I like Walsh, not in the least, just stating that for devils advocate on brands.

When he leaves it will be a carlo friend/associate who takes over or no one at all.

The job is more than just recruitment. It’s the structure of the club from top to bottom. As Matt said, fixing a shit show takes time. 

I think Unsworth was more of why DCL ended up at Everton, I’m sure Dom has said so himself. 

When it comes to to first team recruiting it doesn’t concern me whether Brands is here or not, now we have Ancelotti that side of the job will be completely down to him, he has to be the biggest person in the club, when managers of his calibre put their reputation on the line they require complete control of that side of the team. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

The youth players are bought by Unsworth and the academy scouts. They have their own budget.

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

When it comes to to first team recruiting it doesn’t concern me whether Brands is here or not, now we have Ancelotti that side of the job will be completely down to him, he has to be the biggest person in the club, when managers of his calibre put their reputation on the line they require complete control of that side of the team. 

No it won't. Someone will still need to lead the scouts, negotiate the contracts and manage the club across all age groups. I imagine that only scratches the surface of what he does too. Brands is probably the most important person at the club at the moment.

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

No it won't. Someone will still need to lead the scouts, negotiate the contracts and manage the club across all age groups. I imagine that only scratches the surface of what he does too. Brands is probably the most important person at the club at the moment.

you must be joking, no way in hell he's most important person.  do you think before we had a DOF none of that stuff got done?  of course it did, and it will if he leaves.