IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

They make for some very poor figures on the playing side, obviously not all his fault, the wage bill going out control because we can’t off load shite on big wages, but he had to buy or see us relegated. 
The agents fees have gone up by millions in the last two years, I feel he should have more control on that it’s a massive amount of dead money we won’t see again. 

I would hope they resign him. It's more important to have a long standing DoF than a long standing manager IMO.  

What's the view on Brands anyway, at least on the first team? Signings wise it's been a real mixed bag but he has been as important in bringing through the young lads as the manager has been. You can see what he is trying to do without it necessarily working as well as he would have hoped. 

31 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would hope they resign him. It's more important to have a long standing DoF than a long standing manager IMO.  

What's the view on Brands anyway, at least on the first team? Signings wise it's been a real mixed bag but he has been as important in bringing through the young lads as the manager has been. You can see what he is trying to do without it necessarily working as well as he would have hoped. 

Mixed bag for sure.  Where do you see his footprint with our youth?  I’m not arguing just looking for clarification, Gordon is the only player that’s been offered time.  Holgate and Davies were already seeing time well before he was here.

31 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If you go back to when he first came here, he was tasked with getting rid of all the players that were on big wages, and cutting the wage bill, that was is main task, we still have the biggest earners that don’t play on the books and the wage bill has spiralled, so based on that a failure. 

I honestly haven’t noticed any difference up till now as far as transfers are concerned. It’s not like we’ve found a hidden gem, just signed players that everyone knows about already. 

His work behind the scenes seems his best legacy so far. He seems to have a positive effect on those around him.

But transfer wise, more of a dud so far.

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I honestly haven’t noticed any difference up till now as far as transfers are concerned. It’s not like we’ve found a hidden gem, just signed players that everyone knows about already. 

His work behind the scenes seems his best legacy so far. He seems to have a positive effect on those around him.

But transfer wise, more of a dud so far.

I agree. 

We need consistency at the club. For that, he needs to stay. His next contract could do with being four years or more, so we know he is staying. 
He might not have set the world alight, but the club feels healthier now than it did a couple of years ago. 
With Marcel, Shasha and Denise in charge, along with Carlo running the team, I think we will progress. But more change would slow us down in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

We need consistency at the club. For that, he needs to stay. His next contract could do with being four years or more, so we know he is staying. 
He might not have set the world alight, but the club feels healthier now than it did a couple of years ago. 
With Marcel, Shasha and Denise in charge, along with Carlo running the team, I think we will progress. But more change would slow us down in my opinion. 

yeah i'm split on it to be honest.  when he first came i thought he was going to be unearthing players like Lozano for cheap and turning them into big time sales.  instead he's just like Walsh buying the biggest name players available to us.  to be fair to him, he established a nice connection with barcelona (never a bad thing) with Digne, Mina, and Gomes.  But if Carlo has someone who knows what he wants and prefers and he works better with him, i'm ready to go all in on Carlo.  

Brands so far...

Bought 2018: Richarlison 35m, Digne 18m, Bernard Free, Mina 27m, JVirginia Undisclosed

Sold 2018: FMori 8.1m, Klaassen 12m

Loaned 2018: In AGomes and Zouma - Out Everyone :) (Onyekuru, Garbutt, Tarashaj, AWilliams, Robinson, Mirallas, Connolly, Cuco, Besic, JWilliams, Bolasie, Sandro, Pennington)

Bought 2019: AGomes 22m, Lossl Free, Delph 8m, Gbamin 25m, Kean 27.5m,  Iwobi 28m, 

Sold 2019: Vlasic 14m, Robinson undisclosed, Lookman 22.5m, Gueye 29m, JWilliams undisclosed, McCarthy 3m, Onyekuru 12.5m, Mirallas Free, 

Loaned 2019: In Sidibe - Out Holgate, Dowell, Niasse, Beni, Bolasie, Connolly, Evans, Cuco, Kenny, Sandro, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler, Broadhead, Besic, Pennington, Hornby, Connolly again, Bolasie again

Bought 2020: Branthwaite Undisclosed

Sold 2020: AEvans

Loaned 2020: Out Dowell, Connolly, Tosun, Feeney, Gibson, Lossl, Phillips

He's been INCREDIBLY busy. 

There's alot there so i'll summarize with my biggest hit, miss and under the radar move: 

Hit - Richarlison

Miss - Delph

Under the radar -
Loaning Holgate to West Brom for the 2nd half of last season set him up for success this season or getting 22.5m for Lookman

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Don't quote me on this, but I think things were slow for him at PSV when he joined. You can't just go straight into clubs and get the perfect players for that club from day 1, especially when you are moving from the Dutch league (highly technical, slower and far less physical) to the Premier League (less technical (generally), much quicker and more physical). It would be a lot easier moving from Leicester to Everton as Walsh did. For example, I would have massive doubts as to whether a player like Lozano would cut it over here.

I have just found a link to the players signed in his first 2 years at PSV.

https://toffeetargets.com/scouting-report/marcel-brands-transfer-history-breakdown/

It mentions a 2nd article for the following two years however I can't find it.

As a side note, didn't Brands get added to the board? If so, I find it highly unlikely he is going anywhere as even if his contract ran out, he would still be a board member unless they bought him out?

he will have massive lists of players that fit all different types of styles, that's his job.  he's said before he knows every kid in south america who's worth something.  i agree on the board thing, i was surprised when i read his contract was ending because i thought the board thing would mean instant re-up for him.  Unless he wants to transition out of DOF and into a Corporate gig?  Stay on the board and do something else with the club maybe?  I dunno.

18 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Brands so far...

Bought 2018: Richarlison 35m, Digne 18m, Bernard Free, Mina 27m, JVirginia Undisclosed

Loaned 2018: In AGomes and Zouma - Out Everyone :) (Onyekuru, Garbutt, Tarashaj, AWilliams, Robinson, Mirallas, Connolly, Cuco, Besic, JWilliams, Bolasie, Sandro, Pennington)

Bought 2019: AGomes 22m, Lossl Free, Delph 8m, Gbamin 25m, Kean 27.5m,  Iwobi 28m, 

Sold 2019: Vlasic 14m, Robinson undisclosed, Lookman 22.5m, Gueye 29m, JWilliams undisclosed, McCarthy 3m, Onyekuru 12.5m, Mirallas Free, 

Loaned 2019: In Sidibe - Out Holgate, Dowell, Niasse, Beni, Bolasie, Connolly, Evans, Cuco, Kenny, Sandro, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler, Broadhead, Besic, Pennington, Hornby, Connolly again, Bolasie again

There's alot there so i'll summarize with my biggest hit, miss and under the radar move: 

Hit - Richarlison

Miss - Delph

Under the radar -
Loaning Holgate to West Brom for the 2nd half of last season set him up for success this season or getting 22.5m for Lookman

he has done above average i would say, this is not a Walsh cluster, nor a martinez dead even situation, he's done more good than bad, i'm just wondering what is the expectation?

also lookman for 22.5 is bad, they offered 30m in the summer before and we balked only to get less.  holgate loan was nice.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Not long ago he was the second coming, now he’s average? 

Personally think he’s an 8/10 up until now, especially considering all the other responsibilities he’s taken on in such a short period. Got a feeling he’ll be here for 10 years+ and will only help to improve the club 

his first window was excellent, that was second coming.  his second window was awful at best, which i would say together is above average.  this summer will be a very telling one i think.  

@AlbanyNYToffee 

When you look at the price of those players, I think you have to say he has been a success. Bar Iwobi, you would say that they would more or less all sell for more than they were bought for. It might not have translated onto the pitch but if the players prices have gone up then something has gone right. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he will have massive lists of players that fit all different types of styles, that's his job.  he's said before he knows every kid in south america who's worth something.  i agree on the board thing, i was surprised when i read his contract was ending because i thought the board thing would mean instant re-up for him.  Unless he wants to transition out of DOF and into a Corporate gig?  Stay on the board and do something else with the club maybe?  I dunno.

he has done above average i would say, this is not a Walsh cluster, nor a martinez dead even situation, he's done more good than bad, i'm just wondering what is the expectation?

also lookman for 22.5 is bad, they offered 30m in the summer before and we balked only to get less.  holgate loan was nice.

His job was to sign players suitable for PSV not for us. Why would he scout players that suit the Premier League when he was a DoF in the Eridevise? That's not me saying he hasn't looked at players but he has likely been focussing on very different players than he is being asked to look at now. I'd hope so at least. It's not just that but finding a talented player is the easiest bit, finding out whether they suit the league, the managers playing style, the country etc is a different story. 

Re Lookman, I think the problem with that fee lies with the player. He failed to deliver, which he seems he is still doing in Germany. Coming off the season he had, getting £20+ mil was a good result!

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Not long ago he was the second coming, now he’s average? 

Personally think he’s an 8/10 up until now, especially considering all the other responsibilities he’s taken on in such a short period. Got a feeling he’ll be here for 10 years+ and will only help to improve the club 

My sentiments exactly. 

7 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Brands so far...

Hit - Richarlison

Miss - Delph

Under the radar -

Richarlison not his find, Richarlison signed because of Silva. 

3 hours ago, BedfordBlue said:

He has signed some real stinkers

Iwobi got to be one of the worse signings ever Delph, Kean even Gomes is looking shit now 

I'm excusing Gbamin that's just unlucky 

I think there is a case of waiting and seeing on some of these. 

Iwobi hasn't really had a run yet, he has been out with injury and he was signed for a different manager and system in mind. He looks scared of his shadow at the moment whereas he started the season looking a much more confident player. He is being asked to play like a wing back at the moment and its no surprise that whoever we play in those wider midfield positions is playing crap.

Kean still has the world at his feet. If you think it has taken DCL 3 or 4 years to show enough to genuinely be considered a starting striker, its unrealistic to expect Kean to be much more than he is at the moment. He doesn't look like he will be the saviour up front that we hoped but it doesn't mean he can't still be a good player.

A lot of fans would have been up in arms if Gomes wasn't signed after last years loan. He hasn't been the same since his injury (bar the first game back) but if you remember Coleman's return he was as good as ever and then his form dropped off a cliff before he came back to the player he has been this season. 

Delph was and is a waste of money. I still don't get that one.

• 2 weeks later...