IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

The bigger picture isn’t about break even or a bit of profit it’s buying players that work as a team, and buying the right players, and buying players for the weakest areas of the team. 

The bigger picture is, if a player isn’t going to work out, he needs to retain some value - calculated risks. Every signing is a risk - most of the signings pre-Brands were premium price with little sell-on, mainly because of their age. Since we’ve had Brands, generally, our more expensive signings have retained/added value.

Iwobi stands out - supposedly Brands didn’t approve but Moshiri cracked on regardless.

He hasn’t been perfect but I still feel had we gotten him when we go Walsh we would be in much better position now.

A lot of reports saying he didn’t sanction the Iwobi transfer as well which makes me more annoyed at Moshiri who seems to get involved in so much more than he equipped to handled.

Regardless, we need a clear plan and structure to follow. We all appreciate Moshiri’s investment but it’s been so misguided it’s embarrassing and totally unaligned with what this club stands for.

Article sound much like I feared - too many cooks spoil the broth. Not so much since Benitez has come in as been very little time and no money to spend. but over the whole time Brands has been here and with Walsh also.

Its a big problem managers and DoF not agreeing - I was surprised when we brought in Ancelotti and didn't see him aligning with what Brands remit was and we heard the same when Benitez was appointed. What is the point of DoF at Everton? If all it true in the articles why on earth didn't Brands just walk? Was getting an inflated pay cheque that's why, just like the players he's been trying to dump. Severance pay will now have to come out of moneys saved this summer. 

No point at all having a Brands type at the club, if owners are only half letting them do the job. Mixed messages, interfering and impatience from owners is the crux of our problem - I think we all know this.

I think all of us fear are that unless the owners change the way they run this club its going to continue be groundhog day for us.

My fear is the only way out out this nightmare any time soon is that if Benitez does the business. The ongoing circus of the last 5-6years is now driving me mad. 

He was a sacrificial lamb for our leader in idiocy to make it look like he's listening to the unhappy fans in the hope it'll stop some, or all, who were planning on leaving their seats tonight.

Meanwhile, a manager who is never going to be here long (and is massively out of touch with the modern game by the looks of things) has been handed more power to put his stamp on things.

Happy fucking days.

52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He was a sacrificial lamb for our leader in idiocy to make it look like he's listening to the unhappy fans in the hope it'll stop some, or all, who were planning on leaving their seats tonight.

Meanwhile, a manager who is never going to be here long (and is massively out of touch with the modern game by the looks of things) has been handed more power to put his stamp on things.

Happy fucking days.

Spot on. I’ve no idea how we’ll get out of this. It’s nights like these when I’ve no idea why I do the 7 hour round trip! 

What a desperate situation we are in after all this money spent. 

because he is now at the helm, I desperately want Benitez to do well, as whether we like it or not, he is going to have more of a say on how this squad develops over the next 12 months with no DoF in the wings.

You are probably right, he may not last that long as fans will simply not take to him, especially as you say the sacrificial lamb of Brands has now gone.

One part of me says get rid and lets just be done with it as Benitez is simply to fractious other part says as the bloke is now hear and getting used to the squad lets give the bloke a chance.

It's supposed to be enjoyable following your team. This is like purgatory - a wealthy investor finally comes in and seems to be a footballing fuckwit of epic proportion!.  

• MikeO unpinned this topic

I am also massively concerned that only after sacking Brands are the club considering what model they are going to use to go forward. That should be pre-determined with the wheels in motion before action is taken, not as an afterthought.

It feels like whatever happens next will be done on a whim rather than an executed plan!

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I am also massively concerned that only after sacking Brands are the club considering what model they are going to use to go forward. That should be pre-determined with the wheels in motion before action is taken, not as an afterthought.

It feels like whatever happens next will be done on a whim rather than an executed plan!

It's seems like all of the decisions made in the Moshiri era is on the back of a spur of the moment decision. I don't expect it to change anytime soon, which is deeply worrying considering how poor we are.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

In his interview after the game Rafa said there is a model and plan for going forward which has been agreed. 

On 05/12/2021 at 16:37, RuffRob said:

Unfortunately, the money spent on Iwobi alone was enough of an alarm bell for me. Pretty much everybody - Everton supporters, - Arsenal supporters and media alike knew from day one we paid massivly over the odds for him. That signing should have never happened. 

And now Brands has gone - snippets of true are coming out like, like Brands had no intention of signing Iwobi - Moshiri did it as a bit of a panic buy and spunked best part of £30M away.  What a joke of a club. Brands is better off out of it, his biggest error for me he just became a 'yes' man to Moshiri. He should have had the balls to stand up to his employer and threaten to walk, especially if neither Ancelotti or Bentitez where managers he was fully behind.

One good think about Benitez, he will not take that kind of shit from Moshiri and will stand up to him in a way Brands obviously didn't. If Moshiri decided to buy some players that Benitez didn't want - I am pretty sure Bentiez will let us fan know. This in itself is a step forward.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think this is a massively important step. It sound to me like the last five or six years has basically been three or even four people trying to have there say at anyone time - owner, Bill Kenwright, DoF and manager. 

Now it seems this could be just down to owner and a manager who is not afraid to say - 'I am not having that' to the owner. 

The fact that some are not happy with it being Rafa Benitez of all people does make this a little awkward in it own right. However, at least for the next 12-18months at least there should be some clarity in who is making the footballing decisions at the club. I am sure there will still be the over riding remit to bring in player that offer good value and the longer term development  - rather than just spend to make us great ASAP. Not sure you actually need a DoF to overseen this approach.

On 07/12/2021 at 12:13, RuffRob said:

I think this is a massively important step. It sound to me like the last five or six years has basically been three or even four people trying to have there say at anyone time - owner, Bill Kenwright, DoF and manager. 

Now it seems this could be just down to owner and a manager who is not afraid to say - 'I am not having that' to the owner. 

The fact that some are not happy with it being Rafa Benitez of all people does make this a little awkward in it own right. However, at least for the next 12-18months at least there should be some clarity in who is making the footballing decisions at the club. I am sure there will still be the over riding remit to bring in player that offer good value and the longer term development  - rather than just spend to make us great ASAP. Not sure you actually need a DoF to overseen this approach.

You say Benitez will not have that, but it hasnt stopped Mohsiri in the past. If Mohsiri wants someone he will get them and then Benitez wont have a choice (other than to walk). 

I dont think there is going to be that remit. Benitez will need to turn things around quickly so he will be buying to win (short term) and Mohsiri has show that he buys based on names. 

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

You say Benitez will not have that, but it hasnt stopped Mohsiri in the past. If Mohsiri wants someone he will get them and then Benitez wont have a choice (other than to walk). 

I dont think there is going to be that remit. Benitez will need to turn things around quickly so he will be buying to win (short term) and Mohsiri has show that he buys based on names. 

too be honest no point in trying to second guess what the plan is anymore or what will happen. Moshiri has nailed in flag to the mast with bringing in Benitez (against what sounds like the wish of most others at the club), this has been compounded now by sacking Brands. He simply needs to let the man he is now backing get on with his job and not interfere with swerve balls - which sounds like he constantly did to Brands.  

But like you said there has been a history with Moshiri interfering time and time again at footballing levels and simply fucking things up or putting flies in the ointment. You would hope he is learning from this mistakes, but it does not mean he will.

There are only two ways out of this :

1) Moshiri does learn his lesson and realises he needs to really keep at arms length and let footballing people look after the footballing areas of the club, or 

2) he sells and another owner chances his arm with us.

The massive saving grace is that in the years since Moshiri has been at the club, we have sorted a site, got planning permission and are now building what could end up being one of the best half a dozen sporting stadiums in the country.

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

too be honest no point in trying to second guess what the plan is anymore or what will happen. Moshiri has nailed in flag to the mast with bringing in Benitez (against what sounds like the wish of most others at the club), this has been compounded now by sacking Brands. He simply needs to let the man he is now backing get on with his job and not interfere with swerve balls - which sounds like he constantly did to Brands.  

But like you said there has been a history with Moshiri interfering time and time again at footballing levels and simply fucking things up or putting flies in the ointment. You would hope he is learning from this mistakes, but it does not mean he will.

There are only two ways out of this :

1) Moshiri does learn his lesson and realises he needs to really keep at arms length and let footballing people look after the footballing areas of the club, or 

2) he sells and another owner chances his arm with us.

The massive saving grace is that in the years since Moshiri has been at the club, we have sorted a site, got planning permission and are now building what could end up being one of the best half a dozen sporting stadiums in the country.

I think that last bit is essentially what has kept the fan base from really turning on him.