IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We’ve done this dance before. That’s the job of the director of football if a club has one. It’s about making an identity for the club and bringing in people who work within it. 

Well he’s done a stellar job hasn’t he brought in more players than I think anyone has in the same time scales he’s been here, spent more money than anyone since he’s been here, and look at the position we are in far worse than when he arrived, thank god he’s not a heating engineer he’d probably blow your house up. 

3 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Completely agree and can't answer as to (if he is being sidelined) why he wouldn't have left.  I certainly would have and think he should have.

He was initially hamstrung by Walsh's profligacy and then the new managers and them selecting their own targets.  Clearly hasn't been a case of a singular direction for the club's vision and player selection. 

It also seems to be considered fact that the manager selections came down to other people's preferences.

If you're going to hire a DoF, then leave them to do the job.

Maybe he needs to go but his biggest failing seems to be allowing himself to get sidelined.  So I can't see any improvement coming from him leaving.  Club will still be in the same crappy financial position with the same shit decision makers still making decisions and the manager merry-go-round likely to continue. 

I'd rather see Moshiri and Kenwright f*off to the background and full responsibility left to a DoF.  Rangnick was the one I always wanted, maybe at the end of the season.

I understood that he would be staying at United in another role when a new manager comes in.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well he’s done a stellar job hasn’t he brought in more players than I think anyone has in the same time scales he’s been here, spent more money than anyone since he’s been here, and look at the position we are in far worse than when he arrived, thank god he’s not a heating engineer he’d probably blow your house up. 

Not what I said, but that’s fine anyway. 

I’ve seen lots of people saying Brands should walk if he isn’t being given the freedom to do his job. He’s currently earning more money than he ever has, and after the current state of the club he will probably never earn the same money again. I don’t blame him for sticking around and taking the money while he can. I wish someone would pay me millions to not have to do very much. Sounds like a job fit life! 😂

10 hours ago, StevO said:

I’ve seen lots of people saying Brands should walk if he isn’t being given the freedom to do his job. He’s currently earning more money than he ever has, and after the current state of the club he will probably never earn the same money again. I don’t blame him for sticking around and taking the money while he can. I wish someone would pay me millions to not have to do very much. Sounds like a job fit life! 😂

Sounds like hell and my time at Nestle. Told to be autonomous, ambitious etc only to have every idea rejected, more work that's not within my remit pushed on to me, split between 2 roles and direct reports, which obviously conflicted frequently, overlooked because I wasn't one of the yes men, all up to the point I ended up in hospital thinking I'd had a stroke. Good money though.

I think he's probably made enough to find a job were he's happy. I wish I could say the same (wealth wise)!

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Sounds like hell and my time at Nestle. Told to be autonomous, ambitious etc only to have every idea rejected, more work that's not within my remit pushed on to me, split between 2 roles and direct reports, which obviously conflicted frequently, overlooked because I wasn't one of the yes men, all up to the point I ended up in hospital thinking I'd had a stroke. Good money though.

I think he's probably made enough to find a job were he's happy. I wish I could say the same (wealth wise)!

For a million a year Farhad can bend me over his desk if he fancies it! But I think that says more about me than it does Marcel. 😂

18 months - 2 years to late the damage he’s caused will take years to repair, but better late than never at least we can begin the process now. I have no sympathy for him he’s been paid very very well for someone who failed, and if it proves not to be true that’s my Christmas ruined.

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

18 months - 2 years to late the damage he’s caused will take years to repair, but better late than never at least we can begin the process now.

I disagree - most of the Brands’ signings at least break even but most make profit. The mess that ‘Walsh’ (I actually feel sorry for him and think he wasn’t allowed to do his job) left takes years to repair - Brands, less so.

5 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Ever since we got DOF, we went downhill.

I don't think anybody can argue with that, given the money spend. I am not wholly positive that the DoF we have had have had the degree of control they would have liked - a lot was thrown at Walsh, but I have read since that some of the signing in the Koeman regime where against Walsh's recommendations and also Walsh had brought Erling Haaland for a trail only for the club not to support him in bringing him to the club. I think some may have had starry eyes for bigger name players.

My issue perhaps with Brands is that he hasn't really brought much to the party - there is not really a squad bulging with carefully and skilful bought young talent, which I thought was his remit.

Richarlison - played in Prem and we paid extremely good money for him. A Silva player, so no real DoF vision in this transfer.

Iwobi - paid massively over the odds, and all seemed to know this, my only hope was that Brands was somebody who had cleverly seen  something others hadn't. This has not proved the case. 

Kean - we seem to be lucky we are getting our money back. His persona did not ever seem to fit this club. 

We are paying very good wages to three Barcelona rejects. Nothing special done there - we paid decent money for they along with top dollar and taken our chances with them. 

Bernard was always going to be light weight for the cut and thrust of the Prem. As uninspiring as it maybe a Townsend type free transfer serves to be far more useful.

Delph - enough said 

Gbamin - injury aside, we still paid good money for him, not really a hidden gem. 

Deadwood - he shifted hardly anything, contracts simply ran down and player released - Hell, even I could have done that. 

Top and bottom is there was never enough evidence for me for him to get another contract in April. 

Maybe we will find out further down the line that had his hands ties or was vitoed in some of decision. but whatever the case on the evidence he has very little to justify his role this past 3 years. 

31 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I disagree - most of the Brands’ signings at least break even but most make profit. The mess that ‘Walsh’ (I actually feel sorry for him and think he wasn’t allowed to do his job) left takes years to repair - Brands, less so.

The bigger picture isn’t about break even or a bit of profit it’s buying players that work as a team, and buying the right players, and buying players for the weakest areas of the team. 

The strangest thing for me about Brands is that he seemed to completely lack the famous Dutch directness and outspokeness.  I've worked with the Dutch a lot and they are not afraid to speak their mind and call bullshit; they are brutally honest and see it as trying to help.  You see this especially in Dutch football - Cruyff, Van Gaal, Koeman, Seedorf, Davids, and how many others.  Always giving their opinions whether they are wanted or not, putting noses out of joint.  Brands, if it's true he wasn't allowed to do his job and disagreed, was most un-Dutch like in dealing with it.  If was involved he should have been sacked ages ago.  Perhaps he was happy to just hoover up the money, until this inevitable moment happened.  Now, let's just loved forward.

3 minutes ago, badaids said:

The strangest thing for me about Brands is that he seemed to completely lack the famous Dutch directness and outspokeness.  I've worked with the Dutch a lot and they are not afraid to speak their mind and call bullshit; they are brutally honest and see it as trying to help.  You see this especially in Dutch football - Cruyff, Van Gaal, Koeman, Seedorf, Davids, and how many others.  Always giving their opinions whether they are wanted or not, putting noses out of joint.  Brands, if it's true he wasn't allowed to do his job and disagreed, was most un-Dutch like in dealing with it.  If was involved he should have been sacked ages ago.  Perhaps he was happy to just hoover up the money, until this inevitable moment happened.  Now, let's just loved forward.

And Gullitt, don't forget Ruud!

14 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

And Gullitt, don't forget Ruud!

Love Ruud, but I don't think he was typically Dutch too.  As a manager anyway.  At least I don't remember him mouthing off.  Mind you didn't he freeze out a load of Newcastle senior pros that he didn't rate and fall out with everyone?

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Not enough of the board have been sacked yet for me. 
He’s taken the easiest option. Not saying the wrong option, but much easier than any of the others. 

My point was they don’t need to sack themselves ,they aren’t indispensable, if Moshiri wants ten gone then they are gone