IGNORED

Ellis Simms

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

A massive improvement vs Liverpool for me. 

He won a fair few headers when the ball came from the back or from Pickford. There was just no one around him to collect most of the time.

His miss was bad. Got to hit the target. 

Improvement, yes, but nowhere near good enough to be playing as a lone striker. And particularly not against one of the better teams in the league.

I'm not sure the work ethic is there to be playing on his own either, but that can be worked on.

His big weakness shows I’m when he starts a match, and that’s what I’ve always said…. Work rate. 

But what i did see was his strength. And he does have a shot on him. He will miss a few, but I also think he may rip the net with a few.

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Improvement, yes, but nowhere near good enough to be playing as a lone striker. And particularly not against one of the better teams in the league.

I'm not sure the work ethic is there to be playing on his own either, but that can be worked on.

Got to feel a bit for the lad that he’s only started matches against Chelsea, liverpool and United.

Wouldn’t have an issue with him starting against Fulham & hopefully he ( and the team ) can show a bit more.

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Got to feel a bit for the lad that he’s only started matches against Chelsea, liverpool and United.

Wouldn’t have an issue with him starting against Fulham & hopefully he ( and the team ) can show a bit more.

I'd prefer him coming on when defenders are tired and his work rate won't be as much of an issue. We need the whole team to be doing the hard yards, that's why Gray wasn't starting games until recently.

Also, Fulham will try to play it out from the back so having a forward player that will put pressure on them is vital.

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd prefer him coming on when defenders are tired and his work rate won't be as much of an issue. We need the whole team to be doing the hard yards, that's why Gray wasn't starting games until recently.

Also, Fulham will try to play it out from the back so having a forward player that will put pressure on them is vital.

I completely agree with your points pal. Its just chalk and cheese between him & gray with what they offer. Gray's done a great job leading the line all things considering & I have no issue with him starting. I would just like to see Simms start a match where we are little bit more progressive with ball and bring him into the game.

11 hours ago, Btay said:

I completely agree with your points pal. Its just chalk and cheese between him & gray with what they offer. Gray's done a great job leading the line all things considering & I have no issue with him starting. I would just like to see Simms start a match where we are little bit more progressive with ball and bring him into the game.

So would I but it's pretty precarious for us at the moment, and I don't want to rely on an if, but or maybe (:P).

If we were safe then I'd be all for it but we're nowhere near that right now.

Get the job done and then bring him on towards the end and he can have a go at finishing them off.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

What do you think is a fair price for him...£5M + add ons if promoted. 

5M seems cheap but he's not achieved much and looking at last years market hardly any players were bought by championship clubs for more than 5M.

Like I said a little bit further up, anything over £3m and we're doing well.

18 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

Yes I did see your post...was just trying to solicit other perspectives during this hectic news cycle we seem to be experiencing 😆

You've got to factor in that he's now in the last year of his contract. Even if he wasn't I think £5m would be a bit optimistic anyway tbh.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

You've got to factor in that he's now in the last year of his contract. Even if he wasn't I think £5m would be a bit optimistic anyway tbh.

On the other hand, there's always supply and demand. Three teams are after him. Also, British players can command a bit of a premium.

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

On the other hand, there's always supply and demand. Three teams are after him. Also, British players can command a bit of a premium.

£5m would certainly be a premium for him. I'd be ecstatic if we could get that for him but I think it's very unlikely.

I think Romey got it perfectly. 
Around 3m and a bit on clause.

I would be happy with that. If not, give him another three year contract and get him loaned out. Bringing him back off loan was always going to be a mistake and the club feel for fans romance. 

In hindsight, it’s slowed down any progress he could have made.