IGNORED

Brighton (Away) Saturday October 26th

markjazzbassist

49 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I get were you are coming from you have to respect every team, but having said that we shouldn’t be going there changing a winning team, surely we shouldn’t be going there to defend against them as the better team, we must believe we are the better team and let them worry about how they are going to stop us. 
If he reverts back to the old guard then he will do Brighton’s job for them. 

I’m not no way saying he should change the team. I would like to see the same team myself.

But I also think it would be naive of a premier league manager to go with the old.... keep a winning side. This is the premier league and the teams that stay at the top are the teams that player players for situations. 

We need to grow as a club and become winners.

But I would still like to see the same team as I tho k Brighton are very similar to West Ham in the way that they play. I’m just worried that the same tactics might not work away from home. They have the home crowd behind them and that makes a massive difference.

Either way COYBs!!!!

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’m not no way saying he should change the team. I would like to see the same team myself.

But I also think it would be naive of a premier league manager to go with the old.... keep a winning side. This is the premier league and the teams that stay at the top are the teams that player players for situations. 

But I would still like to see the same team as I tho k Brighton are very similar to West Ham in the way that they play. I’m just worried that the same tactics might not work away from home. They have the home crowd behind them and that makes a massive difference.

Either way COYBs!!!!

The main reason we looked so good last game, and how the best teams win, is that they impose their tactics on whoever they face.

The reason Wham looked so bad is because we made them look bad by imposing ourselves and not giving them a chance to implement their tactics. We did this a lot at the end of last season too. Last game was the first time that we actually tried it this season, largely down to the players Silva chose (especially Gomes being fit again) actually being able to do the role that he wants them to do.

I wouldn’t change anyone for today, but I’d use the subs earlier to give the bench players a chance to gain/regain their place. That’s how you improve competition within the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Either way COYBs!!!!

I look at the shite they never change their system for anyone home or away, granted they occasionally change personnel but not the system, when you find the belief in a system that works you stick with it, everyone knows how they are going to play but they still hardly get stopped, I remember when we were like that in the eighties and I want it again, I’m done with the Silva’s of this world who constantly chop and change, for the benefit of their own egos, he’s not the master tactician he believes he is results have confirmed that. 
COYBs and last week’s team.  

Matt I totally agree. We made West a look bad, the same way as We England just made the all blacks look bad. It’s the system you play that makes the biggest difference and last week silva got that right. I hate chopping and changing.

But I also recognise that sometimes a change of personnel is sometimes needed to deal with a particular threat. Not saying at all that it is needed for this game, but play that same team each week and we will have differing results. All I’m saying is I personally, don’t think the names on the pitch are all that matters.

It may have been lost in translation in my posts haha.

Palfy, I also agree and think your actually talking the same point. Your Shite example ( the team, not saying your example is white 😉) now s exactly my point. They make subtle personnel changes but make them fit into the play style they employ.

The only part I don’t agree with, is that it’s nothing to do with Silva. I think he got it spot on last week. The players responded to him, and that’s no small feat. For me it’s gave him another night on dead mans row!

9 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Matt I totally agree. We made West a look bad, the same way as We England just made the all blacks look bad. It’s the system you play that makes the biggest difference and last week silva got that right. I hate chopping and changing.

But I also recognise that sometimes a change of personnel is sometimes needed to deal with a particular threat. Not saying at all that it is needed for this game, but play that same team each week and we will have differing results. All I’m saying is I personally, don’t think the names on the pitch are all that matters.

It may have been lost in translation in my posts haha.

Palfy, I also agree and think your actually talking the same point. Your Shite example ( the team, not saying your example is white 😉) now s exactly my point. They make subtle personnel changes but make them fit into the play style they employ.

The only part I don’t agree with, is that it’s nothing to do with Silva. I think he got it spot on last week. The players responded to him, and that’s no small feat. For me it’s gave him another night on dead mans row!

I thought you were talking specifically about this game, not generally. Small changes here and there are ok. I think the concern for today is that Coleman and Delph just walk back into the lineup, and it’s those kind of changes people are against. 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I thought you were talking specifically about this game, not generally. Small changes here and there are ok. I think the concern for today is that Coleman and Delph just walk back into the lineup, and it’s those kind of changes people are against. 

I would be fuming if that happened. Davies was very good last week and although a lot went unnoticed, I tho k he was that missing link between defence and attack.

Sidibe, I was a bit... ye he did ok. But Seamus does need a bit of time to take stock of a nightmare week. Which is a shame as he was starting to hit some form.

My biggest hope is that he stays with that exciting three pronged attack.

4 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I personally much prefer Richarlison as a ‘centre forward’ rather than a winger.

So do I, sometimes when he’s out on the right he’s not involved enough, and we are definitely missing out on his full potential. 
But I’m definitely on the fence when it comes to Iwobi out there, I understand why you would want him there because he needs to be on the pitch, he gives us a spark and some intent but on the right I can’t see him doing a better job than Walcott going both ways. 
So I feel to get the players out there that make a difference in the positions they seem to excel in I would have to go with a 4231.

Sorry mate but I need to be convinced. 

41 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So do I, sometimes when he’s out on the right he’s not involved enough, and we are definitely missing out on his full potential. 
But I’m definitely on the fence when it comes to Iwobi out there, I understand why you would want him there because he needs to be on the pitch, he gives us a spark and some intent but on the right I can’t see him doing a better job than Walcott going both ways. 
So I feel to get the players out there that make a difference in the positions they seem to excel in I would have to go with a 4231.

Sorry mate but I need to be convinced. 

Iwobi would have less defensive responsibility in a 4-3-3.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I actually have a big fear that all of them (apart from Schneiderlin) will come back in. If he does that he's an idiot. I don't care who we're playing, what tactics they employ, you do not slow the play down to the degree we would be with bringing them back in. 

I could just about cope with Sigurdsson coming in, because that's just one player that's slow. The team could probably cope with that too. But then what do you do with Iwobi? He might have frustrated in that role a but he got us moving forward with pace every time he got the ball and that's invaluable whoever you're playing. You could move him to the left but then what do you with Bernard? You could move him to the right but then you break up the Digne/Bernard bromance that looks brilliant and you lose something from Digne too. And if you do move him to the right what message does that send to Walcott? He's not the most highly rated player here but he was immense last weekend and has more than earned his starting spot. Also, what message does it send to Davies if he's plonked back on the bench for the slow, nothingness of Delph? I'm not Davies' biggest fan but he showed that forward motion is possible while keeping it simple rather than playing like billy big bollocks and fucking it up like the fraud that is Fabian Delph. No, Davies has has to wait and wait for his opportunity and he's taken it. Same goes for Sidibe in that respect. Coleman may be our captain but he was an idiot, couldn't play because of it, and his replacement had a great game. He got caught out of position a few times, like Coleman does regularly every game, but the difference was he had it in him to recover every single time. Oh and he can cross the ball. 

Yes, yes, probably, yes, maybe, yes, no.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I know you like lots of words, Elston, so there you go, but no really did cover it all.

I misinterpreted the slogan “For the Thinking Evertonian” as implying a default bias in favor of words, and even sentences.  But I concede that sometimes too many words may hint at overthinking.

19 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Yes, yes, probably, yes, maybe, yes, no.

I misinterpreted the slogan “For the Thinking Evertonian” as implying a default bias in favor of words, and even sentences.  But I concede that sometimes too many words may hint at overthinking.

😂👍

3 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Delph or Schneiderlin if injury to Holgate or Keane?  Or could Coleman or Sidibe move to CH?

What ever the option maybe it doesn’t inspire me with confidence. 
That’s the first position that needs addressing come January. 

4 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

You have to keep the same line up really. Football is a confidence game and if a player comes into the team due to previous poor form and then has a good game then it will destroy their confidence. Play well, win the game, get dropped next week. It's catastrophic for morale.

Dropping Sigurdsson is key here. I dont think he has been our worst player and, although he could have done better, I think the primary issue is the lack of options ahead of him. Having a spell on the bench should light the fire in his belly and get him back to his best, or else he will throw a strop and his career will likely be over. You have to respond to being dropped or go the way of Mirallas.

Likewise, players such as Davies and Iwobi need to really grasp this opportunity and keep themselves in the side. They will be full of confidence after last week so it is the opportunity to kick on.

Dropping Sigurdssen won't make a difference, he's one of the hardest workers we've got. No matter how hard he tries he'll never suit the job being asked from the manager. 

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We didn’t need both Delph and Schneiderlin on the bench and should’ve had Gibson there in place of one of them. 

Right starting XI, does he see Delph as our 4th CB? I hope not. With only 3 'senior' CBs in the squad he should be taking every chance to integrate one of the youngsters in the first team. We could easily end up needing them. 

16 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

We are away from home and so I expect a professional performance. We have no obligation to play open football and I'd be happy to take a 1-0 away win.

This is a game where I imagine, despite being at home, Brighton will be content with surrendering possession and repeating the result they had against Spurs. We mustn't fall into that trap and if that makes for a scrappy game then so be it.

Score first and shut up shop. That is all that is required today. 

Are we capable of effectively shutting up shop?  Serious question.  Would a professional performance today look entirely different from last week?

i’ve no idea how Brighton play generally, play at home, or will play today.

21 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Sigurdsson would benefit massively from having 2 strikers in front of him. You could reasonably play DCL and Richarlison as a front 2 and this would be perfect for him. I agree that the system currently doesn't benefit him, although with the return of Gomes the creative burden is no longer solely put upon his shoulders.

On the wing? If so I agree.