IGNORED

Arsenal (Home) Saturday December 21st

markjazzbassist

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I feel a bit sorry for Dunc. He set up the side to compete in that game but the Sunday league quality performances from most of the players out there made it a game to forget. 

I would say Mina and Sidibe were the standouts. 

Same problem when we had Silva really. Players just aren't providing the quality needed. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I feel a bit sorry for Dunc. He set up the side to compete in that game but the Sunday league quality performances from most of the players out there made it a game to forget. 

I would say Mina and Sidibe were the standouts. 

100% but don’t tell Barryj 😀

Football is mostly a running, passing, and finishing game.  We have little pace, “inconsistent” (to put it kindly) passing, and only occasional finishing.

I like many of our players, so much want them to do the shirt proud.

Can they?  If Ancelotti’s tactics can’t transform these lads, we need lots of new lads.

Just now, Elston Gunnn said:

Football is mostly a running, passing, and finishing game.  We have little pace, “inconsistent” (to put it kindly) passing, and only occasional finishing.

I like many of our players, so much want them to do the shirt proud.

Can they?  If Ancelotti’s tactics can’t transform these lads, we need lots of new lads.

My thoughts at the moment unfortunately as I like a lot our players too, but today showed that working hard isn't enough. Proud of Dunc, but even though he got the players fired up and working hard he still walks away with a 25% win percentage, and that blame can't really fall on him. The players just aren't doing what's needed to be done to win. At least a lot of the individual mistakes leading to goals are seeming to disappear (knock on wood). 

Well, firstly, big thanks to Ferguson for standing in and getting those results. A couple of weeks ago, no one would have give us a point against Chelsea, United and Arsenal. To get 5, and be disappointed not to get a win today is a positive turn of events.

Onto that, Ferguson has shown he's a bit raw for this job at the moment. The decision to bring on Tosun was wrong, many could see that - we know it doesn't work. It took Richarlison out of the game, and ruined our flow. And to then have to sub Tosun off again showed exactly what it was. You can't really do that sort of thing twice in 4 games and not then be questioned about it.

Arsenal were there for the taking today. They had a youth team out and we just didn't take advantage of it. We were too sloppy in possession, wasteful with set pieces and players weren't reading each others movements or anticipating well enough. Maybe because it's a patched up side riddled with injuries.

And that's this team. We have this thing running through us that we can play to a high level one week, then totally shit the next. We can play high intensity, quick, energetic football, then the next game can't even find each other with simple passes.

We need to get the basics right consistently. Then build from there. Over to you Carlo.

Some poor performances today but we do not really have a lot options for various reasons. Before Dunc if you had asked if we would have gotten 5 points from those 3 games I would have laughed. He did instill some much needed fight back into the squad.

Hoping that players returning from injury and the January window will give Carlo and us the momentum we need to charge back up the table.

25 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Ancelotti sitting next to Farhad wondering what he got himself into.

14 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

My thoughts at the moment unfortunately as I like a lot our players too, but today showed that working hard isn't enough. Proud of Dunc, but even though he got the players fired up and working hard he still walks away with a 25% win percentage, and that blame can't really fall on him. The players just aren't doing what's needed to be done to win. At least a lot of the individual mistakes leading to goals are seeming to disappear (knock on wood). 

Well aren't you a delight!!!

Mentioning Ferguson's win percentage is farcical when you consider that he has managed us against Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and a high flying Leicester midweek who are 2nd in the table. A much more fitting and true stat is that we are unbeaten in the league when it looked for all the money in the world that we would be sitting with zero points from three games and firmly in the relegation zone. Having even an ounce of criticism for Duncan considering what has been achieved is completely naive. 

As for the game, we just didn't have enough to break them down really. Iwobi going off messed up the formation as it forced Davies out wide where he doesn't belong. We didn't have the pace to get around them and didn't have the quality to play inbetween the lines. Instead we hoofed the ball and recycled possession without any killer instinct. We looked good at the back (Mina, Sidibe and Holgate impressing) but in the final third were lacking.

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Thank you Big Dunc got us right out the shit top man👏👏👏👏👏

Amen. 

31 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

He got a 25% win percentage is one way of looking at it..... or unbeaten against 4 sides that we would have lost against under Silva.

6 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Mentioning Ferguson's win percentage is farcical when you consider that he has managed us against Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and a high flying Leicester midweek who are 2nd in the table. A much more fitting and true stat is that we are unbeaten in the league when it looked for all the money in the world that we would be sitting with zero points from three games and firmly in the relegation zone. Having even an ounce of criticism for Duncan considering what has been achieved is completely naive. 

As for the game, we just didn't have enough to break them down really. Iwobi going off messed up the formation as it forced Davies out wide where he doesn't belong. We didn't have the pace to get around them and didn't have the quality to play inbetween the lines. Instead we hoofed the ball and recycled possession without any killer instinct. We looked good at the back (Mina, Sidibe and Holgate impressing) but in the final third were lacking.

Amen. 

FWIW Davies was playing on the right even when Iwobi was on the pitch.  Like Newty said before, it moved Richarlison right which then disrupted our flow, as for all Tosun had a go, he just didn't had enough in the locker to get involved in a game when the strikers had to feed off scraps rather than getting consistent service.

39 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Someone has to brighten this place up. 

I love how everyone is focusing on one stat and ignoring/not comprehending what the rest of the post is saying.

Mine was more in jest about both comments I quoted rather than one in isolation. But still.....

On 20/12/2019 at 12:11, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Just want to put on record that regardless of what happens tomorrow we, the entire club, owe Duncan Ferguson a huge debt of gratitude. Remember where we were 14 days ago. We've since beaten Chelsea, tied Utd and 'tied' Leicester. Not only the results he has represented the club so well on the touchline and through the press. Say what you want about his technical/tactical ability you cannot take away his love for the club. Thank you Duncan.

That being said the players better be up for it tomorrow and send off Duncan with a win. They owe it to him. We all do. I want to see him with his hands in the air and tears in his eyes as he salutes the fans after the final whistle. Everton that. 

Very true, but today’s game revealed clearly why he should not be permanent manager. Not being ungrateful, just pragmatic.