IGNORED

Everton Player of the Decade

MikeO

18 hours ago, pete0 said:

All the best ones weren't here long enough. Fellaini, Arteta, Lukaku, McCarthy (before the injuries, although even when not fully fit in the match were he broke his leg he stood out for his commitment), and on the days his feet weren't stuck in the mud Barry. 

Baines, Coleman, and Howard bleed blue but should have been replaced earlier. They may be contenders for most loved, but don't come close in influencing games or being the best. 

McCarthy and Barry are decent shouts. Barry probably the best midfielder I have seen at the club but I don't think either played enough games to warrant being player of the decade.

13 hours ago, StevO said:

Still more of who shouldn’t get it. 
Just give us a name Pete 😂

I said Fellaini, unless you include global influence and then it's Lukaku who put us back on the map globally. 

12 hours ago, Shukes said:

I swear your kids pick up your phone every now and again for a laugh.

Baines? What about all the other beauty’s he scored? What about being one of the top assists in Europe? What about his telepathic partnership that won games on their own with Pienaar?

But you’ve even beat that!

Lukaku had influence by getting into us noticed with his constant media talk of leaving? What planet are you actually from? Because there is no way it can be this one haha.

PeteO, please never change, the world would be a boring place without you 😉

I've supported even longer than Baines h has been here, and I'd rather have Unsworth who was better defensively. Baines and Pienaar were a double edged sword, initially we benefited but by the latter years we were exploited more down our left than it was worth and that was under Moyes. Baines was in the decline a decade ago nearly, never been as good since. 

Lukaku had us in the papers for 'cheating' as he's that good we were taking points off the other top 6 clubs for Chelseas benefit. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

McCarthy and Barry are decent shouts. Barry probably the best midfielder I have seen at the club but I don't think either played enough games to warrant being player of the decade.

That's why I had to cheat and change it to in the last decade. I was gutted when Fellaini and Arteta (plus Carsley) left but Barry and McCarthy were brilliant especially that first year. To go from that to the shambles we had under Koeman/Walsh and Silva was very hard to watch. 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

"Baines was in decline a decade ago nearly". "I'd rather have Unsworth over him". You're on fire this morning Pete!! 

He was much better defensively, you know a defenders main job. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Cahill. £1.75m. Enough said.

The decade before it'd be hard to argue, but this decade we had him pushed back to CM and it wasn't pretty. 

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Baines is an Everton legend and it has been an absolute privilege to have been able to watch him play at Goodsion Park for so long. In 20 year time we will be looking back and comparing him with our all time greatest ever players

Yeah Tim Howard brought me here but I always say baines is what kept me staying.  He was/is magical and that Pienaar connection was so fun to watch.  

For me it’s baines full stop.  After that it’s Lukaku, only had 3 years but I just didn’t rate jags.  Lukaku was scoring left right and header, we haven’t had anything close to that before or after (this decade)

23 hours ago, pete0 said:

I said Fellaini, unless you include global influence and then it's Lukaku who put us back on the map globally. 

I've supported even longer than Baines h has been here, and I'd rather have Unsworth who was better defensively. Baines and Pienaar were a double edged sword, initially we benefited but by the latter years we were exploited more down our left than it was worth and that was under Moyes. Baines was in the decline a decade ago nearly, never been as good since. 

Lukaku had us in the papers for 'cheating' as he's that good we were taking points off the other top 6 clubs for Chelseas benefit. 

That's why I had to cheat and change it to in the last decade. I was gutted when Fellaini and Arteta (plus Carsley) left but Barry and McCarthy were brilliant especially that first year. To go from that to the shambles we had under Koeman/Walsh and Silva was very hard to watch. 

Baines on the decline a decade ago, we signed him pretty much a decade ago 😂

58 minutes ago, Btay said:

Baines on the decline a decade ago, we signed him pretty much a decade ago 😂

Moyes left in 2013 and since then we've not played to his strengths. Plus his crossing took a nose dive. He's a dependable player and a great servant to the club but no where near the best to wear the shirt in the last decade. 

Stats wise he's been no better than Coleman if you factor in Baines taking most the pens and set-pieces. 2.7 (0.7 if you don't include pens) goals and 4.1 assists a season compared to Coleman's 1.6 goals and 2.1 assists per season. 

You can’t take out penalties and make that a detriment for him - he took our penalties because he almost never let us down because he is absolutely quality and composed. Coleman could have taken the same amount as penalties but I doubt he would have converted half as many as Baines because he isn’t near his level for penalties.

He also took set pieces because he was our best player for it.

I remember the season Cahill just ran out of legs and his quality dropped - Baines creates bulk chances for him that where squandered. I respect your effort in gaining and delivering stats however I’d be interested in seeing chances created that weren’t finish and compare the 2 of Baines and Coleman as I am certain Baines would run away with that.

Absolute quality, quality player and profession - we have been privileged to have him at our club for so long.

Why can't you knock off set-pieces? We all did it for Sigurdssen. Open play is far more effective when it comes to judging a player. Set piece delivery is a bonus but there's 10 other professionals on the pitch with at least one of them just as good as Baines at whipping a ball in. Off the to of my head in the last decade, Arteta, Saha, Mirallas, Barkley, Deulofeu, Sigurdssen, and Digne. Baines was left on corner duty far too long, just as Arteta was before him. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Why can't you knock off set-pieces? We all did it for Sigurdssen. Open play is far more effective when it comes to judging a player. Set piece delivery is a bonus but there's 10 other professionals on the pitch with at least one of them just as good as Baines at whipping a ball in. Off the to of my head in the last decade, Arteta, Saha, Mirallas, Barkley, Deulofeu, Sigurdssen, and Digne. Baines was left on corner duty far too long, just as Arteta was before him. 

Mirallas never beat the first man. You’re entitled to your own opinion but I’m taking into consideration everything he gave to the club. He was a great leader on and off the pitch.