IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Very hard to trust anything they say isn’t it? What little credibility he had has gone. I sort of feel sorry for the scientists who are doing the work and then have him standing there with them like the idiot he is. 
Lots of reports from South Africa saying Omicron isn’t actually a very strong strain, and quite a few from UK doctors and researchers too. Leading me to think is Boris and his mates hyping it up to distract us from all of the shit he’s got going on. 

Also, the missus had flu like symptoms for two days, cold like symptoms for three days prior to that and one day after. Yesterday she was fine but the odd runny nose and today no symptoms at all. She still tested positive on a lateral flow yesterday. She’s had three vaccines, the last of which she had just before she got the flu like symptoms. Thankfully she hasn’t been bad with this and not transmitted to me or our daughter, despite sleeping in the same bed as me and still breastfeeding, so close contact to us both. Not saying it isn’t highly transmittable, more that we’ve been lucky. 

Clad to here your wife never fell very ill, I know a few households where 1 or 2 contracted it and 3 or 4 didn’t, for me there seems no rhyme or reason for how  and why that happens. But maybe if scientists and doctors delved more into why those who are highly exposed to it and don’t catch it they may find a common factor that could be used to treat people who don’t possess what they may have, because it can’t just be luck when you are exposed to the extent you were yet didn’t contract it, you must be carrying some from of immunity that works. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Clad to here your wife never fell very ill, I know a few households where 1 or 2 contracted it and 3 or 4 didn’t, for me there seems no rhyme or reason for how  and why that happens. But maybe if scientists and doctors delved more into why those who are highly exposed to it and don’t catch it they may find a common factor that could be used to treat people who don’t possess what they may have, because it can’t just be luck when you are exposed to the extent you were yet didn’t contract it, you must be carrying some from of immunity that works. 

When I booked my PCR test I opted to do an antibody test too, that should turn up in a few days. Would be nice to know if I’ve got the antibodies and that’s why I didn’t catch it (crossing fingers I still don’t). 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

When I booked my PCR test I opted to do an antibody test too, that should turn up in a few days. Would be nice to know if I’ve got the antibodies and that’s why I didn’t catch it (crossing fingers I still don’t). 

Wouldn't you have antibodies if you've been vaccinated?

Some people in this area are beginning to wear masks again in stores, although fewer than half of people in the state are vaccinated. Today I walked into the local supermarket expecting to get the booster, but they're actually taking appointments because of a sudden rush of the already vaccinated for the booster. Usually they have so many doses unused that they're actively inviting anyone in the store to get one for free, but that's now changed - temporarily, at least. I booked an appointment online for tomorrow morning.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Fuck. Daughters picked it up. So much for Christmas with the family...

Sorry to hear that mate hopefully 🙏 she has no issues. This is becoming crazy how it’s spreading. I’m not going to my company do on Tuesday because I can’t deal with crowds in bars and don’t want to take a chance of contracting Covid, I have to go to Spain early January to make a payment and meeting with the builder, I need to be Covid free for any chance of that happening. I feel for you mate it may not be the Christmas you planned but I wish you and the family a safe and heathy one Matt. 

22 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Some people in this area are beginning to wear masks again in stores, although fewer than half of people in the state are vaccinated. Today I walked into the local supermarket expecting to get the booster, but they're actually taking appointments because of a sudden rush of the already vaccinated for the booster. Usually they have so many doses unused that they're actively inviting anyone in the store to get one for free, but that's now changed - temporarily, at least. I booked an appointment online for tomorrow morning.

I went out without a mask for about 2 weeks back in May, and that's been it. Delta came and I've been wearing mine ever since.

I'd say it's probably 60/40 here in Minneapolis in terms of masked vs unmasked out in public spaces. I'll be wearing mine until we're very much in the clear

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Sorry to hear that mate hopefully 🙏 she has no issues. This is becoming crazy how it’s spreading. I’m not going to my company do on Tuesday because I can’t deal with crowds in bars and don’t want to take a chance of contracting Covid, I have to go to Spain early January to make a payment and meeting with the builder, I need to be Covid free for any chance of that happening. I feel for you mate it may not be the Christmas you planned but I wish you and the family a safe and heathy one Matt. 

Thanks mate. Were trying to understand the actual rules. Of course we are stuck for 10 days indoors but unsure if any visitors are allowed or if they just have to test daily. Obviously it's a risk that if they come and visit they catch it and can't leave. Or we lockdown entirely (I'm expecting that the Tuesday after Christmas to be honest).

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Thanks mate. Were trying to understand the actual rules. Of course we are stuck for 10 days indoors but unsure if any visitors are allowed or if they just have to test daily. Obviously it's a risk that if they come and visit they catch it and can't leave. Or we lockdown entirely (I'm expecting that the Tuesday after Christmas to be honest).

It’s tough mate I know even trying to work out what’s right or wrong has become a minefield, we’ve had so many rules and regulations the boundaries are becoming blurred. But at least you can take pride that you are trying to do the right thing, unlike our government and their officials who new they were breaking the rules. What ever happens next as individuals is out of our control, but I can’t help thinking as a collective we could have done more but maybe that’s just wishful thinking. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It’s tough mate I know even trying to work out what’s right or wrong has become a minefield, we’ve had so many rules and regulations the boundaries are becoming blurred. But at least you can take pride that you are trying to do the right thing, unlike our government and their officials who new they were breaking the rules. What ever happens next as individuals is out of our control, but I can’t help thinking as a collective we could have done more but maybe that’s just wishful thinking. 

As hard as it will be for everyone, I really hope they don't come now. I don't think it's the right thing to do but I'm more worried it'll just play a part in the spreading faster and cross-border. 

We wanted a first Christmas in our new house to be memorable, but not like this :lol:

8 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I went out without a mask for about 2 weeks back in May, and that's been it. Delta came and I've been wearing mine ever since.

I'd say it's probably 60/40 here in Minneapolis in terms of masked vs unmasked out in public spaces. I'll be wearing mine until we're very much in the clear

It's been striking throughout, in this area, that it's white men who belligerently refuse to wear a mask and make a point of leaning over you to get items in the store. I've also noticed a strange correlation between those not wearing masks and white men with beards. This may sound absurd, but I've noticed that younger men who are Trump supporters seem to grow a beard. It's like some kind of uniform. :)

7 hours ago, Matt said:

As hard as it will be for everyone, I really hope they don't come now. I don't think it's the right thing to do but I'm more worried it'll just play a part in the spreading faster and cross-border. 

We wanted a first Christmas in our new house to be memorable, but not like this :lol:

For many years, I traveled to other countries and continents on a weekly basis. A colleague of mine, who did the same, used to have his wife place an iPad at his place at the table at home. He'd try very hard to be available at dinner times in his home time zone so that, to his family, he could virtually appear to join them for the meal. Technology hasn't yet progressed to holographic images, but is there some way you could link up camera and smart TV screens so it appears as if you're together for Christmas Day?

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's been striking throughout, in this area, that it's white men who belligerently refuse to wear a mask and make a point of leaning over you to get items in the store. I've also noticed a strange correlation between those not wearing masks and white men with beards. This may sound absurd, but I've noticed that younger men who are Trump supporters seem to grow a beard. It's like some kind of uniform. :)

Oh that doesn't surprise me at all. It's predominantly white people who complain about it the most. Apparently mask mandates are "violating their rights" 😑

I saw a meme last year when masks were starting to become politicized. It said something along the lines of "If we had said from the off that masks weren't actually there to protect others, but were there to protect yourself, every single person in this country would be wearing a mask." 

People who refuse to wear masks essentially lack empathy. That's the thing I've taken from it.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

For many years, I traveled to other countries and continents on a weekly basis. A colleague of mine, who did the same, used to have his wife place an iPad at his place at the table at home. He'd try very hard to be available at dinner times in his home time zone so that, to his family, he could virtually appear to join them for the meal. Technology hasn't yet progressed to holographic images, but is there some way you could link up camera and smart TV screens so it appears as if you're together for Christmas Day?

As have I mate. The issue is getting my in-laws to understand they're not allowed to come, let alone the risks involved. It'll have to be screens I guess. We've done it before, we'd just hoped we'd get it after the new year (we know we were going to, with wife and daughter in the same school together).

PCR is positive, so any hope of a false positive done. Except the guy who registered rhe PCR scanned my name for Eleanor's test so now I'm the positive one and she's fine... trying to contact the NHS to update because this screws all sorts of stats now. 

Just now, Matt said:

Ugh, good luck mate

So far just a runny nose and a bit of a cough, but I have shit sinuses anyway so feels no different than any other day. Had three jabs so hopefully they do the trick. That anti body test never arrived, but I think I’ve got my answer. 😂

Just now, StevO said:

So far just a runny nose and a bit of a cough, but I have shit sinuses anyway so feels no different than any other day. Had three jabs so hopefully they do the trick. That anti body test never arrived, but I think I’ve got my answer. 😂

Hopefully it's more an inconvenience like my daughters. Going a bit mental stuck at home but at least she got this version and not the previous, more dangerous strains (going on what I've read at least)