IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

New York Times reporting that early signs of tests done on mice and hamsters, as well as human tissues, show that Omicron does much less harm to the lungs than previous variants. 

Let's hope so, because my younger daughter is still recovering from lung damage from her first infection (18 months ago) and I've probably just passed along to her the latest variant.

18 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The Atlanta area. Fewer than 50% of people in this area are vaccinated, and many refuse to wear a mask. I tried hard to avoid another infection, but it's not easy.

Love Atlanta, me and the wife had a great night there on the way to Alabama. We stayed in the hotel overlooking the Olympic Park. Tried Ruth Chris Steakhouse for the first time, blew my mind!

Hope you get better soon Steve.
I’m feeling 100% again now, but still testing positive. 

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Let's hope so, because my younger daughter is still recovering from lung damage from her first infection (18 months ago) and I've probably just passed along to her the latest variant.

Not the best way to start the new year Steve, everything crossed for your daughter mate must be very tough for you all as a family. 

On 30/12/2021 at 19:53, Palfy said:

Hospitalisation’s have exceeded 11,000 the highest since March, with so many NHS staff off with Covid and others physically and emotionally done, has Boris again thrown our nurses and doctors under the bus to save his own skin and appease his back benchers? For me it’s a yes. 

Its a bit of a difficult one. 

This variant is going to go nuts. Most people aren't that ill (unvaccinated aside). I have it at the moment and I am lucky enough to be well but I dont know many people that have had it recently that have been more ill than say a bad cold. 

Despite that, loads of people arent able to work because of it. My missus works for an NHS trust and they have their own practice for returning to work which is stricter than the Gov guidance. Understandably for some, however it is applied across the board. 

I am not sure there is a great deal more that can be done. We can't keep locking down for this type of illness that comes around every 3 or 4 months. However, the anecdotal evidence I have seen is that the less vaccinated have suffered from the worst effects of the illness, so can we also realistically keep boosting every few months as well? 

At some point a decision will need to be made as to how we move forward again.

1 million cases reported in the US yesterday, far and away the highest single day total of the pandemic. Some of that is likely skewed because of the backlog of cases reported over the holiday weekend, but still...

On December 29th we broke our previous record of 250,000 cases in a day. 

All I can say is, thank fuck for science.

18 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

1 million cases reported in the US yesterday, far and away the highest single day total of the pandemic. Some of that is likely skewed because of the backlog of cases reported over the holiday weekend, but still...

On December 29th we broke our previous record of 250,000 cases in a day. 

All I can say is, thank fuck for science.

The million cases is a bit inaccurate, was always going to have a few days numbers in after the long weekend. 
That said, those mad cunts in Florida saying they are just not bothering to test anymore and their numbers will go down (from the surgeon general, I think that was his title). Sounds like a great plan. Also put your covid deaths down as natural causes that will help, just be careful not to suffocate with your head buried in all that sand. 

52 minutes ago, StevO said:

The million cases is a bit inaccurate, was always going to have a few days numbers in after the long weekend. 
That said, those mad cunts in Florida saying they are just not bothering to test anymore and their numbers will go down (from the surgeon general, I think that was his title). Sounds like a great plan. Also put your covid deaths down as natural causes that will help, just be careful not to suffocate with your head buried in all that sand. 

Yesterday we had our highest daily tested positive figure of 218,000 and instead of increasing restrictions, our governments response to was to ease restrictions instead. Ever get the feeling that the government don’t really give a fuck anymore. 

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Yesterday we had our highest daily tested positive figure of 218,000 and instead of increasing restrictions, our governments response to was to ease restrictions instead. Ever get the feeling that the government don’t really give a fuck anymore. 

Again, first working day after a bank holiday so it’s going to have a few days numbers in there. Not defending the government though, bunch of useless pricks, but throughout the last two years we have low numbers on Saturday and Sunday then high on Monday, Mondays figures are including the extra from the previous two days. After a bank holiday it could be three or four days figures. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

isn't that basically what Boris has said?

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

No more testing for travellers, let's ride it out was the latest message from what I saw

They do still test, just only PCR once they test positive in lateral flows.

Im not sure how that will help with detecting new variants quickly but the PCR testing system seems an expensive farce when it is already rife in the country.

Just now, Matt said:

Also stopping PCR in case of positive LFT :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59878823

Again, not defending them, but I didn’t bother with PCR. Tested positive, people I was with tested positive, I knew I had it so didn’t feel the need to get a PCR. My employer didn’t want one so I didn’t bother. 
But I don’t agree with stopping them, if there is a need for them. But can’t say I know enough of the difference. Is the LFT not good enough anyway?

Just now, Bailey said:

They do still test, just only PCR once they test positive in lateral flows.

Im not sure how that will help with detecting new variants quickly but the PCR testing system seems an expensive farce when it is already rife in the country.

Nope, only if they have symptoms.

"Covid testing rules are to be eased for people without symptoms, who will no longer need to confirm a positive lateral flow test with a PCR"

So that's trusting the public to self diagnose rather than a basic procedure to be consistent. So now everyone will just say "I feel fine" because a PCR confirmation requires self isolation. 

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

Again, not defending them, but I didn’t bother with PCR. Tested positive, people I was with tested positive, I knew I had it so didn’t feel the need to get a PCR. My employer didn’t want one so I didn’t bother. 
But I don’t agree with stopping them, if there is a need for them. But can’t say I know enough of the difference. Is the LFT not good enough anyway?

It's to be certain, to provide data and samples that can be analysed in labs. All that data goes to building data plans, potetially samples can be used to test vaccines against? Dunno about that last one to be honest but the idea of PCR is essential for accurate mapping. Leaving people to say "I've not got a temperature, I've just had the heating on" to then not isolate and pass it around further is stupid. Yes, LFT is mostly accurate but PCR is a centralised, clinical confirmation.  

Edit: also would allow traceability and evolution of variants too I would assume. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Nope, only if they have symptoms.

"Covid testing rules are to be eased for people without symptoms, who will no longer need to confirm a positive lateral flow test with a PCR"

So that's trusting the public to self diagnose rather than a basic procedure to be consistent. So now everyone will just say "I feel fine" because a PCR confirmation requires self isolation. 

Sorry my response was in respect of travellers into the country.

On the general topic of PCR / Lat flows. Lat flow results require self-isolation too. I did 3 lat flows and all came back positive. What is the point of me doing a PCR as well? 

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Sorry my response was in respect of travellers into the country.

On the general topic of PCR / Lat flows. Lat flow results require self-isolation too. I did 3 lat flows and all came back positive. What is the point of me doing a PCR as well? 

But isolation rules are different. At least 2 weeks ago. I don't know anymore about what random changes have been made to prevent the economy taking another downturn, and I've not had more than 5hrs sleep a night for 2 weeks now so I may be going crazy. All my points about the centralised testing, plotting data maps, deferentiating between variants, potentially using those samples for vaccines can only come from PCR. These tests are for the individual, but they're so important everyone too.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, StevO said:

I would love the Queen to actually make a comment on what a shambles they are. 

Got Denise welch ridiculing the queen on twitter for needlessly sitting alone by attending g7 summit.

that woman has absolutely no idea of class and leadership.