IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Hopefully it's more an inconvenience like my daughters. Going a bit mental stuck at home but at least she got this version and not the previous, more dangerous strains (going on what I've read at least)

I’ve got a few things to do around the house, need to finish a play house in the garden, planned on boarding out the loft, need to work on the front garden. So as long as im mobile then I’ll be fine. Need to give the baby a test now though, it’s not a very nice thing to do. 
I’ve had a couple of days with family so can’t complain about being stuck at home. Only annoying thing really is im on annual leave this week, I’d much rather be on sick leave. 😂

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’ve got a few things to do around the house, need to finish a play house in the garden, planned on boarding out the loft, need to work on the front garden. So as long as im mobile then I’ll be fine. Need to give the baby a test now though, it’s not a very nice thing to do. 
I’ve had a couple of days with family so can’t complain about being stuck at home. Only annoying thing really is im on annual leave this week, I’d much rather be on sick leave. 😂

Ask your employer. My past employers used to give my vacation days back if I had a doctors note. Its not a mental break if you're sick and that's the point of a vacation!

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ask your employer. My past employers used to give my vacation days back if I had a doctors note. Its not a mental break if you're sick and that's the point of a vacation!

I’ll ask the question, but it’s one of them where the whole company shuts down for a few days and we all take it as leave so I think they won’t do anything. I’ll find out soon enough. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’ll ask the question, but it’s one of them where the whole company shuts down for a few days and we all take it as leave so I think they won’t do anything. I’ll find out soon enough. 

Ah ok. No chance then, but always worth asking.  

10 hours ago, StevO said:

That's a tough ask, poor soul.

31 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

That's a tough ask, poor soul.

Well we tested her and it came back negative, but to be honest I’m not sure we had the swab in her nose long enough. 
Tonight we got an email from her nursery to say five kids who were in her group on Christmas Eve have tested positive. Spreads around pretty quickly!

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Well we tested her and it came back negative, but to be honest I’m not sure we had the swab in her nose long enough. 
Tonight we got an email from her nursery to say five kids who were in her group on Christmas Eve have tested positive. Spreads around pretty quickly!

If you didn't the test would void, at least that's my understanding. 

E has tested negative the last few days but now starting to hear a cough. Hopefully it's just because we've needed the heating on more and she's not been able to get out. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

183,037 cases today, scary.

We had one local case of a backpacker who came over the border with it from Queensland and the Premier cancelled all major NYE music events, reintroduced compulsory masks indoors in public places and banned dancing except at weddings, we are now up to about 5 local cases.

We're scheduled to open up intrastate and international borders on Feb 5 when we reach 90% double jabbed, we've had so little practice I suspect it's going to be a shit show.

The same day I tested positive my mother in law did too. We had been together all Christmas Day. She’s in her late 60s, has had a history of chest issues, nearly died of pneumonia about 8 or 9 years ago, smoked all of her life up until the pneumonia and has COPD. She’s had the three jabs so far, as have I, and so far the pair of us (I’m 37 and generally healthy) have had a runny nose and felt a bit tired, the occasional cough. 
Id hate to have this without the vaccine. My mate also tested positive the day before me. He’s had the first two and he’s been similar but a lot more tired and weak, he’s 35 and healthy. 
i do believe this current strain is a lot milder than the previous but only from what I’ve read. The symptoms I’ve had normally wouldn’t be enough to keep me off work, I’d probably just drink a load of lemsip and crack on. 

14 hours ago, StevO said:

The same day I tested positive my mother in law did too. We had been together all Christmas Day. She’s in her late 60s, has had a history of chest issues, nearly died of pneumonia about 8 or 9 years ago, smoked all of her life up until the pneumonia and has COPD. She’s had the three jabs so far, as have I, and so far the pair of us (I’m 37 and generally healthy) have had a runny nose and felt a bit tired, the occasional cough. 
Id hate to have this without the vaccine. My mate also tested positive the day before me. He’s had the first two and he’s been similar but a lot more tired and weak, he’s 35 and healthy. 
i do believe this current strain is a lot milder than the previous but only from what I’ve read. The symptoms I’ve had normally wouldn’t be enough to keep me off work, I’d probably just drink a load of lemsip and crack on. 

Yes, Omicron is much milder than previous strains. We had 488,000 confirmed new cases yesterday here in the states. And of course that number is likely more, as there are plenty that go undiagnosed.

One thing I've been noticing is a fair amount of false positives. I've had a few people in my life test positive and then after two or three PCR's, they all come back negative.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Yes, Omicron is much milder than previous strains. We had 488,000 confirmed new cases yesterday here in the states. And of course that number is likely more, as there are plenty that go undiagnosed.

One thing I've been noticing is a fair amount of false positives. I've had a few people in my life test positive and then after two or three PCR's, they all come back negative.

I'm not sure if they know if it is milder yet or at least if it is, how much milder it is, but our previous exposure to the virus either by vaccine or by infection is making a huge difference. 

The suspicion is that if you are unvaccinated and have never had the virus, your chances of becoming seriously ill are broadly similar to what they were to the previous variants.

This isn't a pop at you but I think it is a little dangerous to say it is milder or weaker and I wish the media and politicians would be a lot more specific about what they mean when they say it. If this strain of the virus had hit us first, deaths would be considerably higher than they are now.

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure if they know if it is milder yet or at least if it is, how much milder it is, but our previous exposure to the virus either by vaccine or by infection is making a huge difference. 

The suspicion is that if you are unvaccinated and have never had the virus, your chances of becoming seriously ill are broadly similar to what they were to the previous variants.

This isn't a pop at you but I think it is a little dangerous to say it is milder or weaker and I wish the media and politicians would be a lot more specific about what they mean when they say it. If this strain of the virus had hit us first, deaths would be considerably higher than they are now.

Totally fair point in regards to the severity surrounding the unvaccinated. Everything I've read so far says that it is still causing shortness of breath, lung tightness, etc for the unvaccinated. 

I guess I was referencing the symptoms for the already vaccinated. All I've seen, from doctors, medical facilities, government agencies, is that it is much milder for the vaccinated. Sore throat, runny nose, basically a cold. 

I fully agree that it doesn't mean we're in the clear and should be celebrating. Like I said, I haven't stopped wearing my mask in public spaces (with the exception of a couple weeks in May), and the number of infections is proof that we're still very much in the thick of things. People should absolutely still be taking precautions.

I just wanted to point out that for the vaccinated, thankfully, symptoms appear to be milder at this point. But as we all know with viruses, they're going to continue to mutate, and it's my fear that we could still see a much more lethal strain combine with the transmissible nature of Omicron.

Daughter has been negative for 5 days now but she's now developed a nasty dry cough. Not stopping her going about her business, although it is disrupting her sleep a bit. Asked for an appointment with our GP but that's next week to have a telephone consultation then will be another week before she gets a face to face...

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

Daughter has been negative for 5 days now but she's now developed a nasty dry cough. Not stopping her going about her business, although it is disrupting her sleep a bit. Asked for an appointment with our GP but that's next week to have a telephone consultation then will be another week before she gets a face to face...

They aren’t making it easy to see a GP right now. I hope she’s ok mate, if they want you to take her in to see them will she have to have a PCR test first?

The last time my daughter was sick we spend about ten hours in A&E before being told there was still another seven hours to go. I ended up taking her to a private GP and paying them to check her out, she still ended up back in hospital but this GP called ahead and the hospital (a different one) looked at her as soon as we arrived. Cost me about £150 all together, which is annoying given we have the NHS, but can’t put a price on what any of us would pay to have our kids looked after. 

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Im heading to the states in about seven weeks on a stag do, keeping a keen eye on what’s happening over there. I hope it’s a little more under control and they don’t close the boarders to the UK. 

I’ve not bothered with the PCR, I’ve been positive on three lateral flow tests, I don’t feel great but not too bad, but I know I’m not 100%. Going for a PCR isn’t going to change anything for me. I’ll still be isolating until I’m better and won’t be using up an appointment that someone else might use. Getting bored in the house though. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

They aren’t making it easy to see a GP right now. I hope she’s ok mate, if they want you to take her in to see them will she have to have a PCR test first?

The last time my daughter was sick we spend about ten hours in A&E before being told there was still another seven hours to go. I ended up taking her to a private GP and paying them to check her out, she still ended up back in hospital but this GP called ahead and the hospital (a different one) looked at her as soon as we arrived. Cost me about £150 all together, which is annoying given we have the NHS, but can’t put a price on what any of us would pay to have our kids looked after. 

NHS is a bit of a mess at the mo (though cancer services seem to be holding up pretty well as far as I can tell). My niece (who's at uni) was having hearing problems so she saw her GP who said it was wax and they needed syringing; all simple enough until he said they weren't funded to do it anymore, brother paid for her to go private. Madness.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

NHS is a bit of a mess at the mo (though cancer services seem to be holding up pretty well as far as I can tell). My niece (who's at uni) was having hearing problems so she saw her GP who said it was wax and they needed syringing; all simple enough until he said they weren't funded to do it anymore, brother paid for her to go private. Madness.

The NHS has been on of the reasons me and my wife resisted moving to the states, her being an NHS employee too. But over the next ten years or so I don’t see the NHS surviving as we once knew it. 

31 minutes ago, StevO said:

I pay for private, monthly discount through work but I call the GP out of habit. Need to get used to going through AXA and relieve some of the pressure on the NHS. 

Well my NYE plans have gone out the window. Was going to spend the day with my two best friends and their 8-month old son, but she just tested positive. He's currently in a show here in Minneapolis, so he's out of the show tonight, and could have exposed other cast members as well. 

Time will tell if it was able to spread or not. Fingers crossed it hasn't, otherwise it could shut down a fair number of shows here.

Hospitalisation’s have exceeded 11,000 the highest since March, with so many NHS staff off with Covid and others physically and emotionally done, has Boris again thrown our nurses and doctors under the bus to save his own skin and appease his back benchers? For me it’s a yes. 

35 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Hospitalisation’s have exceeded 11,000 the highest since March, with so many NHS staff off with Covid and others physically and emotionally done, has Boris again thrown our nurses and doctors under the bus to save his own skin and appease his back benchers? For me it’s a yes. 

Without question.

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

My mate who I visited last night has just tested positive.  Likely to pick up my second variant.....

Yeesh, that's not a fun superlative to have.

Was just saying to a friend that I'm truly shocked I've never had it. Was living in NYC for the first 2 1/2 months of lockdown, have had friends contract it, but I've been lucky enough to have avoided it so far.

Hope you feel alright Haf and it's nothing more than a cold