IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Home) Sunday June 21st

markjazzbassist

Happy enough with that good team performance, kept Liverpool quiet in front of goal which isn’t easy to do, we had the better chances when they come, maybe the last couple of subs could have come 6 or 7 minutes earlier. 
But pleased overall to see us keep our shape and work for each other, Carlo’s not a mug he sent his team out not to lose, and a chance to win. 

45 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Not happy. You know Liverpool is really disappointed in this result. We should be too. Tired of being second best to them. 

Sorry to be a downer. Just sick of them. 

Remember our last game again chelsea... the difference in performance was huge. Understandably disjointed with the ball but I haven’t seen us that compact and organised for a long long time. 

Iwobi is a concern for me right now. I’m just not seeing it with him. 

There's no doubt the team is improving. The shape of the team was maintained throughout and the defence was solid. DC-L and Richarlison are going to become an awesome partnership, and the average team age is dropping, too. All positives.

I'm not so worried about Iwobi. He needs to be included consistently to prove his worth, but you can see he has the makings of a good player. I disagree with much of the criticism leveled at him. This was a derby behind closed doors, the first game in months, so it's going to take a few games to get into a rhythm. Still, what I saw today was encouraging all around. Clearly, Ancelotti is placing great emphasis on discipline in training. This guy knows his stuff.

This game won't take long to be wiped from my memory, thankfully.

Awful game of football to sit through. We really struggled to pass to a teammate, which is unforgivable even in the first game back after a break. I felt we lacked desire and competiveness as well (apsrt from the defence), which was disappointing and a little disheartening tbh - we just stood off them for the whole 90 minutes more or less. The midfield was a shit show and it was no fun whatsoever watching them go through the middle of us that easily as Gomes and Davies were non-existent. We desperately need a powerhouse CM or a grafter in the mould of Gana as that just isn't Gomes' game and Davies is still figuring out how to be a central midfielder with no pace, strength or brains. Iwobi and Gordon were a complete non-event tbh.

The defence was immense. I tip my hat to them because they had zero protection and dealt with everything that came their way. A couple of hairy moments but they earned reprieves for how they'd performed.

Richarlison and DCL looked rusty but they didn't stop, they just kept going and going.

I was quite disappointed with us, all in all, but we still managed to create the best chances of the game! That's a microcosm of being an Evertonian right there.

Takeaways:

First time i can remember we outplayed them. Very encouraging for the remainder of the season. 

Iwobi is incredibly frustrating but it seems pretty clear he had a job to do and did it well. Carlo would have hauled him off a lot sooner if he wasn't. 

Coleman was outstanding.

Van Dijk is an incredible player. Every time I see him play it's more impressive than the last. That said DCL was a warrior in there and deserves credit for the shift he put in on the best defender in the world.

21 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Takeaways:

First time i can remember we outplayed them. Very encouraging for the remainder of the season. 

Iwobi is incredibly frustrating but it seems pretty clear he had a job to do and did it well. Carlo would have hauled him off a lot sooner if he wasn't. 

Coleman was outstanding.

Van Dijk is an incredible player. Every time I see him play it's more impressive than the last. That said DCL was a warrior in there and deserves credit for the shift he put in on the best defender in the world.

We definitely didn't outplay them. They dominated us for 80 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We definitely didn't outplay them. They dominated us for 80 minutes.

They dominated possession sure. From my point of view there were 5 real scoring chances in the game and four of them were ours - Matip's header was the one for Liverpool. Alisson absolutely had more to do than Pickford. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Norwich are shite, not the shite. So I hope we don’t play the same way with same personnel. 

They beat us 0-2 at home, anything can happen but you’re right they are shite but we are in strange times, so can’t take anything for granted. 

9 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

There have to be changes with the short time between games but I think Sunday's team should start as we need 3 points at Norwich "where are you, let's be having you"

Would you really leave Gordon in over Bernard? Obviously a difficult full debut for the lad against Liverpool and Norwich a different challenge but he was so poor on Sunday, and he'll know that himself. How will he react (given the chance), we'll see.

7 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

They dominated possession sure. From my point of view there were 5 real scoring chances in the game and four of them were ours - Matip's header was the one for Liverpool. Alisson absolutely had more to do than Pickford. 

Bar one chance, they came when the Donkey Lovren came on. We weren't doing a bolt against VVD and Matip.  

Furthermore, in the long term, if you play that way you will lose more than you win. I get there was a time and a place for playing like that, we barely string two passes together for most of the game. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

From what i heard and have read, we stopped them playing how they wanted to. That is a way of outplaying them 

We didn't stop them playing at all, we stopped them shooting. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it wasn't like they barely had a kick. They just weren't at it in the final 3rd. They got into our box plenty of times. I'd imagine their back 4 got in our box more than our whole team did before Lovren came on.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Bar one chance, they came when the Donkey Lovren came on. We weren't doing a bolt against VVD and Matip.  

Furthermore, in the long term, if you play that way you will lose more than you win. I get there was a time and a place for playing like that, we barely string two passes together for most of the game. 

We didn't stop them playing at all, we stopped them shooting. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it wasn't like they barely had a kick. They just weren't at it in the final 3rd. They got into our box plenty of times. I'd imagine their back 4 got in our box more than our whole team did before Lovren came on.

We let them have a lot of the ball where they couldn’t hurt us, in our final third we had 2 banks of four that shut down the space to stop them playing in between our lines. 
Most of there attempts were from outside the area and free kicks, with less of the ball we created the better chances, for me we were the better team.

The manager gave them a job to do and they delivered, for me Liverpool didn’t deliver in the final third because they were outplayed and out thought, we nullified there threat of free scoring something most teams have been unable to do this season. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

Bar one chance, they came when the Donkey Lovren came on.

Didn’t realise the game was that exciting!

also, since shooting means opportunity to score and we prevented that, I’d say that’s out playing them. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Didn’t realise the game was that exciting!

also, since shooting means opportunity to score and we prevented that, I’d say that’s out playing them. 

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

We let them have a lot of the ball where they couldn’t hurt us, in our final third we had 2 banks of four that shut down the space to stop them playing in between our lines. 
Most of there attempts were from outside the area and free kicks, with less of the ball we created the better chances, for me we were the better team.

The manager gave them a job to do and they delivered, for me Liverpool didn’t deliver in the final third because they were outplayed and out thought, we nullified there threat of free scoring something most teams have been unable to do this season. 

I think you guys need to give your head a wobble. We dominated the game for about 2 minutes and we're maybe on an even keel for the last 10 and you are trying to suggest that we were controlled the game and were the better team?!

We had a total of 11 touches in their box of which 5 were in the minutes of 79 and 80. We therefore had 6 touches in 88 minutes of regular time in Liverpool's box. 

Liverpool in contrast over 90 minutes had 27. Firminho who played 65 minutes had 6 on his own.

If that pattern takes place over 100 games, I can guarentee you that one side will win a lot more than the other and it won't be the one with 11 touches. Not to mention 30% possession, 66% pass completion rate or 43% aerial duals won. 

Anyway I won't dash your hopes any further. My point is made and I'm more than happy for you both to keep kidding yourself that we were the best side based on 2 minutes of play! 😉