• Anthony Gordon
    • Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Tom Davies
    • Theo Walcott
    • Bernard
    • Moise Kean
    • Lucas Digne

47 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Its a lot easier playing left back when you barely have to defend than playing up front against a team set up to defend. 

There is no doubt he has to show more over 90 minutes and against better sides but he will. 

Most players of that age could have taken the safe option and just stayed back and done a defenders job.... Niels was right at them.   Attitude was spot on.

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Important to remember he’s a kid still getting used to a new country, language etc.. and he’s had limited game time. His mentality at 20 isn’t necessarily his mentality at 22 or 25. He had a poor game but at the end of last season there was a general feeling of positivity about him. One game after a limited preseason shouldn’t erase that. Perhaps he’s not cut out for the premier league but it’s early to make that call in my opinion.

I would agree with any other player, but I have never watched him and thought he would be any different. 
I have watched him, wanting him to do well... but each time he plays I worry this is too high a level for him. 

But attitude is t something you should be worrying about at his age. Application should be paramount for me. There are kids out there that work their arses off for an opportunity.... I would rather they had it.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I would agree with any other player, but I have never watched him and thought he would be any different. 
I have watched him, wanting him to do well... but each time he plays I worry this is too high a level for him. 

But attitude is t something you should be worrying about at his age. Application should be paramount for me. There are kids out there that work their arses off for an opportunity.... I would rather they had it.

I disagree with your assessment a bit. I think he has the tools and scoring well in his opportunity at Juventus proves (for me) it’s in there somewhere. I understand what you mean about players that work but you have to have the talent as well or you get a Tom Davies. Thousands of kids would work their asses off that we’d want nowhere near our first team. He’ll be an interesting one to follow this season. I’m someone who isn’t sold on DCL as a starter for a European team so that combined with Kean uncertainty  does make me think that’s an area we may be looking to add before too long.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

I disagree with your assessment a bit. I think he has the tools and scoring well in his opportunity at Juventus proves (for me) it’s in there somewhere. I understand what you mean about players that work but you have to have the talent as well or you get a Tom Davies. Thousands of kids would work their asses off that we’d want nowhere near our first team. He’ll be an interesting one to follow this season. I’m someone who isn’t sold on DCL as a starter for a European team so that combined with Kean uncertainty  does make me think that’s an area we may be looking to add before too long.

Dom doesn't look good enough for CL football, but he improves all the time. Im hoping he really kicks on this year and builds on last season. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

exactly, kenny was doing just this, being cautious.  yet another reason i'm not sold on kenny

Kenny is a different player though. Nknounkou is an absolute physical beast and he uses those tools - Kenny needs to be more like Baines/Digne, use the ball well and pass his way around his opposing fullback on the over lap. Kenny is more reliable than sidibe and slightly under rated attacking wise.

On another note - Theo Walcott is starting to really wind me up. he's lost that yard of pace and just seems to halt our attacks, poor end product as which has always been his issue but is definitely more prominent now. I'd seriously rather Bolasie get a run in the next cup game over him. Both probably are not electric like they use to be but Bolasie genuinely wants to fight for the shirt - i really respect him for that.

Apparently Iwobi had been injured so i guess we will see if he makes the bench against WBA. 

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Dom doesn't look good enough for CL football, but he improves all the time. Im hoping he really kicks on this year and builds on last season. 

He’s a premier league striker and you can’t fault his work rate. I just worry that what he lacks (finishing and decision making in the box) is something that might be hard to teach at this point. Not everyone can be Zlatan. If he can just get a little bit better there I’d take it for everything else he does but I just don’t know if it’s in there. He needs to be scoring 15+ in the league for us this season with the increased quality we should have in attack. 

He’s a premier league striker and you can’t fault his work rate. I just worry that what he lacks (finishing and decision making in the box) is something that might be hard to teach at this point. Not everyone can be Zlatan. If he can just get a little bit better there I’d take it for everything else he does but I just don’t know if it’s in there. He needs to be scoring 15+ in the league for us this season with the increased quality we should have in attack. 

I'm sure he will grab 15 or there abouts. It's his conversion rate he needs to improve on. 

Unfortunately you are right at the moment, everything is there though the power the strength and the passion just not the goals with regularity. 
This could be the make or break season for him as far as Ancelotti is concerned, not that I’m saying he will sell him or anything like that, just that Ancelotti is looking for the finished articles in his starting 11 he wants to take us to the top, if DCL doesn’t deliver the goals and soon there is no doubt in my mind that Ancelotti will bring in a striker who he believes will, and DCL could find himself playing cameo roles from off the bench. 
He needs to find that killer instinct and soon, there’s no place to hide in a Ancelotti team when his reputation is on the line, and we should be pleased it’s that way, so come on Dom before your time runs out. 

He got 15 goals last season with a midfield that was utter shite behind him and he didn't have penalties to fluff that figure up a bit. He's got to be feeling confident of hitting 20+ this season with what's behind him and alongside him, and that confidence could carry him that extra mile.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He got 15 goals last season with a midfield that was utter shite behind him and he didn't have penalties to fluff that figure up a bit. He's got to be feeling confident of hitting 20+ this season with what's behind him and alongside him, and that confidence could carry him that extra mile.

I hope so mate he’s got all the attributes to be world class. 

13 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

There is definitely a player in there. He was brilliant against Bournemouth and really took the opportunity. He did nothing of the sort against Salford but he definitely got better in the second half. He stopped needlessly giving the ball away and started playing more for the team instead of himself. I think he was too keen to impress and thought he could do what he liked against League 2 defenders and it would work. Almost a Billy big bollocks who was then brought down to earth at half time and if Carlo didn't get to him first, I would be very confident Ferguson did!

8 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I agree, there is almost something missing between the connection in his brain to his feet when he gets promising positions. I imagine part of it is as a result of not playing as a striker as a young lad. He doesn't have that composure on the pitch in decisive moments. If he does score 15-20 goals a season then I would expect a lot of them to be from set pieces or crosses. It is no surprise he has scored more goals by header in the premier league (11) compared to his right foot (10) and his left (4). 

That being said if you watch him in training his finishing is as good as anyones (from the clips you see). Maybe he is slightly slower at getting the shot off but plenty find the corners. 

The other option is Richarlison but I think he is better being the second striker rather than the lead man.