IGNORED

QPR (Away) 21st September

Btay

Embarrassing that Godfrey was allowed to re-take his penalty, the goalkeeper was about an inch from his line at best. 

Not overly bothered about the defeat, we were proper shit because our depth is wank. Feels like I say that every other day when discussing Everton, proper Groundhog Day shite. 

The positives is that we don't play midweek for a while, negatives is that it's another cup competition we're out of when we've won fuck all since about 1837. If it somehow means that we can sneak a European place come May then fine, but if we just limp to another mid-table finish then it's just a bit depressing. The alarm bells for me is that you take away a few players from our squad due to injury and all of a sudden we look second best at QPR.

I did think we were better in the second half, especially when Doucoure came on but their midfield was technically and physically far superior to ours. You would think we were the Championship team.

Townsend was so far clear of everyone else on the pitch it was unbelievable. Digne got better and better to be a second. I though Iwobi was poor after the break but still made it into third.

The rest of the side just aren't worth writing about. 

1 minute ago, RPG said:

We got what we deserved. You can argue about injuries, strength in depth etc but we still had enough quality players to have won this match.

It is now vital that we win well against Norwich.

I disagree . I think this is yet more proof that we lack any quality in depth and it’s killing us. Our fringe players have proven yet again that they just aren’t good enough

Where was the quality ? I thought Digne did all right and got a good goal, Townsend was probably MotM and Gordon was decent second half but that’s it 

If money was no object and we could realistically start from scratch you could get rid of around 75% of our squad without spending too much time thinking about it.

Hurts to say, but apart from sprinkles of genuine quality we're a bit shit. The worrying thing for me is how long until the sprinkles (DCL, Digne, Richarlison) decide that enough is enough and move to greener grass.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Gomes & Davies in the centre of the park 🥺😩

A guaranteed recipe for defeat. We simply must somehow keep Allan and Doucoure fit as we’re stuffed without them. We probably need a centre midfielder just as much as we need a right and left back (back-up to Digne) - we may need to be very creative in January providing the books are balanced!!!

I think a technically good central midfielder with a bit of pace and a good engine is our biggest priority. 

Allan will not play every league game and Doucoure is probably at risk of picking up knocks because of his all action style. If they stay fit all season it will be a miracle.

Gomes is next best but there is a big drop off. 

What a fucking shit show.

Begovic - Utter shite for their first goal, and looked like a hologram for the shootout.

Kenny - Was he playing?

Godfrey - Not fit, looked shite, and got bullied by Austin for their second goal.

Holgate - Loves a good hoof up the pitch to ABSOLUTELY NO ONE.

Digne - Scored a lovely goal, tried to get forward, got injured.

Townsend - He at least had a go and got a goal.

Davies - Genuinely don't know how anyone wouldn't be fine with him being sold.

Gomes - Got forward a bit but can't shoot well, and was only marginally less shite than his midfield partner.

Gordon - Crap in the first half apart from the shot he had, but much improved in the second half.

Iwobi - It's too funny that he thinks his best position is more advanced like tonight. He had a shite first half with his best bits being playing the ball directly out of play nowhere near where he wanted to put it, and showing what a brainless oaf he is by wasting his chance by going to what was clearly the wrong side of the keeper.

Condom - It must have split because he was useless.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Gomes is next best but there is a big drop off. 

Probably the most unpopular opinion on here but Delph is a better fit (or unfit as he always is) in the absence of Allan/Doucoure. Gomes can only play in a 3 with the security of Allan and Doucoure on the pitch in my opinion.

Patched up squad, with an unfit striker, centre back and left back.

We lacked cohesion, we did play well in patches and had enough chances to win the game.

Agree with everyone else that we dont have enough depth. This is a holding year until we can get the right players in when FFP rules allow.

Kenny, Holgate, not good enough to be squad players unfortunatly.

We desparatly need a striker to convert those chances we created with balls into the box.

8 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Probably the most unpopular opinion on here but Delph is a better fit (or unfit as he always is) in the absence of Allan/Doucoure. Gomes can only play in a 3 with the security of Allan and Doucoure on the pitch in my opinion.

Ooof that is brave! 

Sometimes I think its a case of whoever doesn't play suddenly looks a bit better after a game like tonights. 

I don't really fancy any of them and as Dunc said before a ball was even kicked the two we did play were a mistake waiting to happen. 

Feel sorry for Benitez. Spent fuck all and the two players he brought in have embarrassed the rest. The goals we have conceded this season have all been avoidable. We haven’t been outdone with great skill or a worldy effort it’s all been our own mistakes or terrible defending. Rondon I hope is just not fit instead of me fearing he is actually that slow and cumbersome. Gordon had a decent second half which was the only positive I drag out. I’m not even talking about the penno’s. 

This was always a potential banana skin, QPR away has always been tough.

thread bear squad and fringe players having their first run out of the season. It has to be done to get players game time to get match fit. The only way to get up to speed is to get playing time on the pitch, we suffered a bit having to play so many players who are not get up to speed playing wise. 

However, we still came back from a goal down twice last night and in the end we lost on the coin flip of penalties. So not actually the worst result for a make shift team - we have seen much worst cup performances (and results) in the not so distant past, with a lot stronger set of player available.

Was it a great or even a good performance? - by no means. Given the condition of the squad was a disjointed performance full of individual mistakes totally unexpected? - no, not really.

I just can't be overly critical when a already thin squad is missing so so many crucial players.

If fans start making rash Benitez judgements after only half a dozen games and when he is down to a bare bones of a squad it would be a sad state of affairs indeed. 

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Feel sorry for Benitez. Spent fuck all and the two players he brought in have embarrassed the rest. The goals we have conceded this season have all been avoidable. We haven’t been outdone with great skill or a worldy effort it’s all been our own mistakes or terrible defending. Rondon I hope is just not fit instead of me fearing he is actually that slow and cumbersome. Gordon had a decent second half which was the only positive I drag out. I’m not even talking about the penno’s. 

To be fair, most goals are avoidable through mistakes or terrible defending. We benefited against Southampton and Leeds as examples.