IGNORED

New DoF

RuffRob

We all seem focused on a new manager, I equally i think we need a DoF or similar. We can't leave all the decision to Moshiri and Kenwright - Benitez was Moshiri's choice and Martinez seems to Kenwright choice. Somebody is needed and be allowed to do the job.

Talk of interest in Brightons DoF. 

Just now, RuffRob said:

We all seem focused on a new manager, I equally i think we need a DoF or similar. We can't leave all the decision to Moshiri and Kenwright - Benitez was Moshiri's choice and Martinez seems to Kenwright choice. Somebody is needed and be allowed to do the job.

Talk of interest in Brightons DoF. 

This is critical IMO. I'd feel a lot more comfortable in an unproven manager if I felt we were getting a strong DoF with an some actual empowerment. 

Knowing what has happen this past 5 years at Everton, you would have to hope that anybody being employed now in the role of DoF would have to be laying the law down to Moshiri before he signs on the dotted line that he has the final say on footballing aspects at the club. Period. 

But i think this role is as important if not more so than the manager. 

The club is a dead lose with Moshiri and Kenwright trying to do it between themselves.

For me the absolute most important thing that needs to come out of this strategic review is a commitment to aligning the academy with the first team. Whether that means we have a DoF or not I don't care. We see it all the time here in the States, the best organizations bring through talent and supplement by buying. We're always left the holding the bag in the transfer market because our academy either hasn't produced talent or when it has they've left. It's long been a fallacy to suggest the big clubs just buy their teams. Sure they spend a shit ton more than we can but they also have incredible homegrown talent.

Utd: Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Lingard
Arsenal: Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli
Chelsea: James, Mount, Hudson-Odoi
Spurs: Kane, Dier and Skipp
the Shite: TAA and Jones
City: Foden and a few others knocking 

It's taken City a while but they've stayed committed and are reaping the benefits. It's not too late to get the academy right and move into the new stadium with a well-balanced successful squad and budget. 

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

For me the absolute most important thing that needs to come out of this strategic review is a commitment to aligning the academy with the first team. Whether that means we have a DoF or not I don't care. We see it all the time here in the States, the best organizations bring through talent and supplement by buying. We're always left the holding the bag in the transfer market because our academy either hasn't produced talent or when it has they've left. It's long been a fallacy to suggest the big clubs just buy their teams. Sure they spend a shit ton more than we can but they also have incredible homegrown talent.

Utd: Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Lingard
Arsenal: Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli
Chelsea: James, Mount, Hudson-Odoi
Spurs: Kane, Dier and Skipp
the Shite: TAA and Jones
City: Foden and a few others knocking 

It's taken City a while but they've stayed committed and are reaping the benefits. It's not too late to get the academy right and move into the new stadium with a well-balanced successful squad and budget. 

I really don’t like this argument, so I’ll just pick on one point. Spurs bought Dier, he didn’t come through there academy. And, most importantly, he’s shit. 😂

Also, that City one is a bit of a cop out. A few others knocking? They have Foden, he’s an unbelievable talent though. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I really don’t like this argument, so I’ll just pick on one point. Spurs bought Dier, he didn’t come through there academy. And, most importantly, he’s shit. 😂

Also, that City one is a bit of a cop out. A few others knocking? They have Foden, he’s an unbelievable talent though. 

Haha I don't disagree about Dier (although I'd absolutely take him over Keane) and thanks for pointing out he wasn't homegrown, my mistake. And I also agree City is a stretch as Foden is really there only one but he's going to be top 5 player in the world. 

Curious when you say you don't like the argument what is it you don't like? I'd guess you think the academy is of some importance but not critical?

Just now, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Haha I don't disagree about Dier (although I'd absolutely take him over Keane) and thanks for pointing out he wasn't homegrown, my mistake. And I also agree City is a stretch as Foden is really there only one but he's going to be top 5 player in the world. 

Curious when you say you don't like the argument what is it you don't like? I'd guess you think the academy is of some importance but not critical?

Dier came from Sporting Lisbon I think. Pretty sure that's where we got him on loan from. Oh the spite and bitterness on here when he chose Spurs :lol:

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Palmer coming through the ranks there now too. Early days but he would play a lot more if he was at any other club.

The one point I will add is that we do also bring through our own talent, its just that other teams have better ones! It is something that needs to happen though. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

I think the academy is massively important, but in terms of the number of players in the premier league who make it through the academy is under 5% (actually the last time I saw a current stat a few years back it was closer to 2%). Add to that we have Gordon, Kenny and Davies in our team. We’ve also had Simms and Dobbin play this season. We aren’t so bad. Our under 23 team won the league twice and still struggled to get many players into the first team. Winning leagues with the academy players is a good start. A lot of the players you listed are of a really high standard, and I give you that, and any improvements we could make would be great. But as Gordon broke into the team this season, statistically, we won’t have another one for a few years. 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Dan Ashworth is of to Newcastle as their DoF, which is a shame as think he would have been idea for us and makes Newcastle stromger in the long run. 

I think this appointment is going to now be critical. Somebody who can work with Lampard and embrace what he seem to have already brough to the club, high tempo front foot football, a strong back room staff and hopefully a youthful recreuitment stratergy. 

I can't help but wonder what Brands would have made of this appointment and how they could have worked together. 

10 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

It looks like Dan Ashworth is of to Newcastle as their DoF, which is a shame as think he would have been idea for us and makes Newcastle stromger in the long run. 

I think this appointment is going to now be critical. Somebody who can work with Lampard and embrace what he seem to have already brough to the club, high tempo front foot football, a strong back room staff and hopefully a youthful recreuitment stratergy. 

I can't help but wonder what Brands would have made of this appointment and how they could have worked together. 

Is the club willing to admit they made a mistake and that Benitez, not Brands, was the problem? If so, maybe Brands could make a return - if he were willing.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I dont think Rafa was the problem.  I think the problem was and is Moshiri.... Iwobi, El Ghazi......

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Is the club willing to admit they made a mistake and that Benitez, not Brands, was the problem? If so, maybe Brands could make a return - if he were willing.

Brands oversaw an awful lot of rubbish. Bentiez brought in Gray (or Grey for @MikeO 🙂), Townsend, Patterson and Mykolenko, so was definitely not the problem transfer-wise. Going back to Brands would be conmpletely insane.

6 minutes ago, Formby said:

Brands oversaw an awful lot of rubbish. Bentiez brought in Gray (or Grey for @MikeO 🙂), Townsend, Patterson and Mykolenko, so was definitely not the problem transfer-wise. Going back to Brands would be conmpletely insane.

Those two are still pretty big question marks for me. Townsend has been solid, but nothing more (IMO). I get the feeling that Brands was held back by Moshiri. Not saying I want Brands back or anything, but I don't think he was a/the problem.