IGNORED

Ben Brereton Diaz

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Hopefully DCL, Maupay & Rondon can do the job until January and we get a real quality forward in to compete with DCL/Maupay and then push on for that 4th spot….

When Lampard mentioned Rondon in his pre-red shite press conference like he was some sort of after thought I had a little chuckle :lol: . 

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Hopefully DCL, Maupay & Rondon can do the job until January and we get a real quality forward in to compete with DCL/Maupay and then push on for that 4th spot….

Hopefully so, but I have my doubts about DCL staying fit and Maupay filling in. Not getting a bona fide CF in is a massive gamble. 

Having thought about it, Maupay is a good signing, he is a good player, technically he is very good, as you would expect playing in a Brighton Team, he is good at finding space and working defenders. Plus his hold up play is effective as he can take the ball to feet at pace really well. 

I am happy with him as a back up / alternative, he is a good player

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Having thought about it, Maupay is a good signing, he is a good player, technically he is very good, as you would expect playing in a Brighton Team, he is good at finding space and working defenders. Plus his hold up play is effective as he can take the ball to feet at pace really well. 

I am happy with him as a back up / alternative, he is a good player

That reads like you're trying to make yourself believe what you say:D

On 03/09/2022 at 04:19, Formby said:

Hopefully so, but I have my doubts about DCL staying fit and Maupay filling in. Not getting a bona fide CF in is a massive gamble. 

I’m not sure why you say that. He’s got very good CF experience in the league at 26 and has been solid. He’s just a different type of striker. We don’t have another target man if that’s what you mean but not so long to January if we decide that’s needed. 

48 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I’m not sure why you say that. He’s got very good CF experience in the league at 26 and has been solid. He’s just a different type of striker. We don’t have another target man if that’s what you mean but not so long to January if we decide that’s needed. 

We do have another target man. Unfortunately that man is Rondon. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We do have another target man. Unfortunately that man is Rondon. 

I keep seeing people saying (not here, thankfully) Rondon would've finished the chance Maupay didn't and it makes me laugh.

Taking out that Rondon has missed sitters, there's not a chance in hell that opportunity even arises if Rondon is playing. Not only would he not have been involved in the build up but he then wouldn't have been able to carry on and be there to have the shot because he'd have been gasping for breath somewhere nowhere the goal.

On 04/09/2022 at 17:32, SpartyBlue said:

Because he doesn't score enough goals. The last three seasons, he scored 8, 8 and 10. We need more. 

9 minutes ago, Formby said:

Because he doesn't score enough goals. The last three seasons, he scored 8, 8 and 10. We need more. 

Who could we get to come to us and be a backup that would score more? Per 90 he’s somewhere around 1 in 3 with decent assist numbers. The only realistic option we seemed to have is Diaz who has zero experience in the league. Looks a decent prospect after scoring 22 in the championship. Guess what, Maupay scored 25 down there. 
It’s been a long time since we’ve had a second option better than Maupay. I would say he’s comparable to Naismith. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Who could we get to come to us and be a backup that would score more? Per 90 he’s somewhere around 1 in 3 with decent assist numbers. The only realistic option we seemed to have is Diaz who has zero experience in the league. Looks a decent prospect after scoring 22 in the championship. Guess what, Maupay scored 25 down there. 
It’s been a long time since we’ve had a second option better than Maupay. I would say he’s comparable to Naismith. 

I think you have said it all here.

5 minutes ago, Formby said:

I hope so! But, as my OP made clear, I worry about DCL staying fit, which puts the load on our 'second option' forward. I think it's a gamble. 

Why is it a gamble? He’s been a solid striker in the league for years and is a good age. It’s less of a gamble than anyone since Naismith.

6 minutes ago, Formby said:

I hope so! But, as my OP made clear, I worry about DCL staying fit, which puts the load on our 'second option' forward. I think it's a gamble. 

It's only a gamble if our game-plan for goals revolves around DCL again, and we saw how well that went with the previous manager. We've got a Naismith type player so 8-10 goals is a good start plus he can play that false nine in a front 3 of Gordon Maupay Gray. Drop back a bit and collect, draws a CB out of position or constantly on their toes creating space. He's very resourceful tactically and that'll benefit the wide forwards or DCL, whichever situation we're in. He's there to indirectly create goals, if that makes sense, and convert some chances too. 

50 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Why is it a gamble? He’s been a solid striker in the league for years and is a good age. It’s less of a gamble than anyone since Naismith.

Not sure what you want me to add that I haven't already clearly stated! You yourself described him as a 'second option' forward. 

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's only a gamble if our game-plan for goals revolves around DCL again, and we saw how well that went with the previous manager. We've got a Naismith type player so 8-10 goals is a good start plus he can play that false nine in a front 3 of Gordon Maupay Gray. Drop back a bit and collect, draws a CB out of position or constantly on their toes creating space. He's very resourceful tactically and that'll benefit the wide forwards or DCL, whichever situation we're in. He's there to indirectly create goals, if that makes sense, and convert some chances too. 

Yes, I understand what you're saying but, as I say, I worry about DCL staying fit. I think it's a gamble relying on a second option forward. I hope I'm wrong. 

24 minutes ago, Formby said:

Yes, I understand what you're saying but, as I say, I worry about DCL staying fit. I think it's a gamble relying on a second option forward. I hope I'm wrong. 

I worry about it too, but I'm confident that we don't necessarily have a backup plan, we have an alternative plan.

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think you have to take some of those numbers with a pinch of salt putting him into this side, compared to Brighton. 

One side struggles to create and the other created plenty.

The other thing about the Naismith comparison, which is a good one, is that we had Lukaku banging 15+ and then others like Ross, Geri etc chipping in here and there. 

If Dom comes back, stays fit and in form and does score a good amount of goals then great, Maupay can chip in. If he doesn't Maupay is going to need to score 10-15 this season and he only score 10 in his best season down South at a more attacking club. 

I think this is a signing that if all goes to plan, can work out really well as a different option and again, I think you can see the logic.

If it doesn't go to plan, i.e. Dom doesn't stay fit, we could be left wondering where the next goal is coming from. 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think you have to take some of those numbers with a pinch of salt putting him into this side, compared to Brighton. 

One side struggles to create and the other created plenty.

The other thing about the Naismith comparison, which is a good one, is that we had Lukaku banging 15+ and then others like Ross, Geri etc chipping in here and there. 

If Dom comes back, stays fit and in form and does score a good amount of goals then great, Maupay can chip in. If he doesn't Maupay is going to need to score 10-15 this season and he only score 10 in his best season down South at a more attacking club. 

I think this is a signing that if all goes to plan, can work out really well as a different option and again, I think you can see the logic.

If it doesn't go to plan, i.e. Dom doesn't stay fit, we could be left wondering where the next goal is coming from. 

I agree with most of your points here. I guess what I’m asking is who could we get to come here and be #2 this window who would provide more? Diaz isn’t clearly better as someone with far less experience. As mentioned, Maupay scored 25 at that level before they came up. I just don’t see how we would sell Everton to someone above Maupay’s level. Would have to be a younger player we take a bit of a gamble on who develops into better.