IGNORED

Ben Brereton Diaz

• 2 months later...

Anything below £15m and you’d get your money back next summer if it didn’t work out. Could be an excellent squad addition (plus another striker) - low risk with potentially high reward if he succeeds. File this under Steven Naismith/Jermaine Beckford/ Marcus Bent - it just makes sense!

25 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Anything below £15m and you’d get your money back next summer if it didn’t work out. Could be an excellent squad addition (plus another striker) - low risk with potentially high reward if he succeeds. File this under Steven Naismith/Jermaine Beckford/ Marcus Bent - it just makes sense!

Beckford I forgot about him! What a goal against Chlesea, almost made the whole signing worth it!

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Jeez, the longer we are waiting sees our targets getting worse and worse, if they get much worse we would have been better keeping Simms and Broadhead. 

Toffeetv were talking about strikers the other day and the lack of 20+ goal scorers. How many are there?  Kane, Son, Salah.

the average golden boot tally for last 4 years is 22/23 goals. In the 5 years prior it was around 28/29

What’s the reason? I think it’s because of front 3 formations and goals being shared around. 

if we get someone who is strong in the air, mobile, & can finish then it should improve us.  To get someone of the ilk who is premier league proven isn’t gonna happen. We are likely going to have to look at the likes of brereton Diaz…. And hope that he can do a job and dcl finds his way back to fitness and form 

I can see palfys thinking on this…. Why we paying £15m for someone who may not be any better than simms?

id agree if it turns out our scouting reports the player being better than simms and the reality is different….. gotta trust the coaches and scouts. 

my understanding on simms is he has poor control and can lose possession easily and isn’t great in terms of movement. But he’s strong, direct and can finish… which may or may not get you far in the prem… let’s be honest Lukaku made a solid career from it. 

bbd seems to have the opposite, an awesome first touch and a sharp brain.   This is an interesting read…

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-ben-brereton-diaz/

16 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I can see palfys thinking on this…. Why we paying £15m for someone who may not be any better than simms?

id agree if it turns out our scouting reports the player being better than simms and the reality is different….. gotta trust the coaches and scouts. 

my understanding on simms is he has poor control and can lose possession easily and isn’t great in terms of movement. But he’s strong, direct and can finish… which may or may not get you far in the prem… let’s be honest Lukaku made a solid career from it. 

bbd seems to have the opposite, an awesome first touch and a sharp brain.   This is an interesting read…

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-ben-brereton-diaz/

Lukaku was a powerhouse who could get the ball 30 yards from goal and bully his way to a chance. He isn’t an amazing footballer but he had some attributes that few others do. Maybe that’s something Simms can aspire to but you have to be really effective there and in the air to make up for not being great at controlling a ball.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

Of all the strikers we are linked to, I really want us to sign him.

Just spent 30 minutes looking at clips of him.  Got to say…. Very very interesting.   Bit of a throwback number 9, like shearer in terms of roundedness.  Nothing that stands out as amazing but tick lots of boxes that should make him a very effective player.  Quicker than he looks, strong, good in the air, good control, can dribble a bit and is very assertive in his finishes 

Only 23, with seven years of first team Championship football experience under his belt. 
41 goals in 173, with 24 of those coming in his last 49 games. 

For a lad of 23 he’s very experienced and has really kicked on in the last couple of years. For a back up, he’s well on the way. 

The difference with him and Simms, this lad is a back up, when Simms has more experience he could be first choice. 

11 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Sounds to me more like another wide forward.  Potentially the Richarlison replacement.  

ToffeeTV was saying that as well but I think he has played up top more?  Think that line of thinking is coming from the fact he has lined up on the left of a front three for the first three games this season for Blackburn.  Last season he was up top 2/3rds of the time.  Something like 23 games up top vs 12 games at LW in the league.  Normally plays up top for Chile as well.  So seems versatile.  

2 hours ago, plaidharper said:

ToffeeTV was saying that as well but I think he has played up top more?  Think that line of thinking is coming from the fact he has lined up on the left of a front three for the first three games this season for Blackburn.  Last season he was up top 2/3rds of the time.  Something like 23 games up top vs 12 games at LW in the league.  Normally plays up top for Chile as well.  So seems versatile.  

According to whoscored - 12 goals + 3 assists in 14 games on the left, 10 goals + 0 assists in 19 games through the centre.

From a relatively small sample he appears to have much better returns when playing in a wide forward position.