IGNORED

Chelsea (Home) 6th August

Romey 1878

16 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I do hope VAR is a little kinder to us this season - think we definitely suffered a little bit last season. 

I would think we will start of this game set up much like we did against the big 6 last season - counter attacking. Will be nice to see us hopefully be a little better in possession than we where last season, but this is very early days and Chelsea is a tough start. 

It a passionate and hardworking effort for 90min from all the player is what I am hoping to see above anything on the first day, which hopefully we set the president of how we go out on the pitch for the rest of the season. Lets make Goodison the most horrible place for any teams to come to. 

52 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I do hope VAR is a little kinder to us this season - think we definitely suffered a little bit last season. 

I would think we will start of this game set up much like we did against the big 6 last season - counter attacking. Will be nice to see us hopefully be a little better in possession than we where last season, but this is very early days and Chelsea is a tough start. 

It a passionate and hardworking effort for 90min from all the player is what I am hoping to see above anything on the first day, which hopefully we set the president of how we go out on the pitch for the rest of the season. Lets make Goodison the most horrible place for any teams to come to. 

I'd like to see us better in possession, but I still don't see how we do that with the midfield we currently have.

Chelsea are going to be a bit soft at the back.

Silva, for all his class, is another year older. Koulibaly is settling in and I'm not sure who the other will be. Azpilicueta was slipping last season already, Chalobah and Sarr certainly aren't anything to fear and will struggle up against Dom.

They have a quality midfield with lots of options, but they are also weak up top. Whilst Havertz works better for them as a false 9 than either Werner or Lukaku (did), he doesn't look like a goalscorer, Mount, Ziyech, CHO and Pulisic don't score many, so that leaves the new addition in Sterling. Their width comes from the full backs as well so that means you end up with a lot of the attacking players within the width of the 18 box fighting for space. It's a defenders dream.

I don't think Chelsea are going to be a team to be too worried about this season (subject to signings) as they need key players at both ends of the pitch, but their midfield will still win them a lot of games!

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Chelsea are going to be a bit soft at the back.

Silva, for all his class, is another year older. Koulibaly is settling in and I'm not sure who the other will be. Azpilicueta was slipping last season already, Chalobah and Sarr certainly aren't anything to fear and will struggle up against Dom.

They have a quality midfield with lots of options, but they are also weak up top. Whilst Havertz works better for them as a false 9 than either Werner or Lukaku (did), he doesn't look like a goalscorer, Mount, Ziyech, CHO and Pulisic don't score many, so that leaves the new addition in Sterling. Their width comes from the full backs as well so that means you end up with a lot of the attacking players within the width of the 18 box fighting for space. It's a defenders dream.

I don't think Chelsea are going to be a team to be too worried about this season (subject to signings) as they need key players at both ends of the pitch, but their midfield will still win them a lot of games!

I would be expecting to go hard at Azpilicueta, also the space reece James will leave behind - it’s definitely going to be our best avenue to attack.

18 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

I think I'd take a draw at this point. I've no idea how we will set up or turn up. And with no real attacking threat, I fear we may struggle up front.

However, I'd also take a loss if it looks like we actually have an idea of how to play winning football.

🤔

I can’t see Chelsea being over concerned or over defensive when they see our attacking threat, this is going to be backs against the wall for our defence, I think we are going to get plenty of opportunities to see if Tark is up to the challenge. A hard fought 0-0 would be a great result. 

Definitely a back 5 coming up for this one. Think Frank would take a draw all day long and so would i at the moment.

My team i think he will go with.

Pickford

Keane    Tarks  Mina

Godfrey                                          Myko 

Gordon      Doucs         Gray

Iwobi

Dele. 

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

I can’t see Chelsea being over concerned or over defensive when they see our attacking threat, this is going to be backs against the wall for our defence, I think we are going to get plenty of opportunities to see if Tark is up to the challenge. A hard fought 0-0 would be a great result. 

I think that type of test would be where he is most comfortable, I am most worried about when he gets closer to the half way line!

I see Chris Sutton has taken over predicting results on the BBC from Lawrenson, another Everton hater:rolleyes:

They say "One of his rules though, is to never do the obvious - and it will be the same with his predictions."

So first up...

Liverpool win? Check.

Chelsea win? Check.

Man City win? Check.

Spurs win? Check.

Arsenal win? Check.

Mun Utd win? No!! A draw.

The man's a bloody maverick😂

I think we are definitely going to have a 3/5 at the back here.

Pickford 

Godfrey      Mina      Tarkowski 

Patterson                                         Myko

Iwobi            Doucoure 

Mcneil              Dele             Gordon

I would expect Dele to be in that false 9 almost a number 10 position with Gordon & Mcneil ( possibly Gray ) playing as left & right forwards - 3-5-2

Pickford, Patterson, Godfrey, Mina, Tarkowski, Mykolenko, Doucoure, Holgate, Iwobi, Gordon, Dele would be my starting XI. 

Holgate as a defensive minded midfielder, almost giving us a back 6 with Doucoure alongside with a little bit of freedom (but in all honesty making us a back 7 when without the ball).

Iwobi and Gordon on either flank with Dele up front as a false 9. Hopefully bring on Gray on the hour mark for some fresh legs, or perhaps we slip a fiver to the referee and Onana comes on despite being unregistered :yay:

18 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Pickford, Patterson, Godfrey, Mina, Tarkowski, Mykolenko, Doucoure, Holgate, Iwobi, Gordon, Dele would be my starting XI. 

Holgate as a defensive minded midfielder, almost giving us a back 6 with Doucoure alongside with a little bit of freedom (but in all honesty making us a back 7 when without the ball).

Iwobi and Gordon on either flank with Dele up front as a false 9. Hopefully bring on Gray on the hour mark for some fresh legs, or perhaps we slip a fiver to the referee and Onana comes on despite being unregistered :yay:

No Mc Neil?

Going to be a tough game as always with Chelsea, the unbiased view of the bookies have us 5/1 to win and 3/1 the draw, so they have us beat already.

However, I think with the crowd and new buzz around the place with recent new signings, and those on the cusp of signing, I am hoping there will be a real energy about the team.

As we are not expected to get fuck all, there is nothing really to lose in a game like this.

Play with energy, passion and heart and I know the Goodison faithful will remain behind the team from kick off to the final whistle. I will be happy to see this, because this will be the bedrock of any improvement or future success. 

Opening few games are always a bit random results wise, tactics, good quality and partnerships on the pitch will develop in time. I can be patient with this.

Hardwork,  passion and desire can be shown today and in all subsequent games.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

I think we are definitely going to have a 3/5 at the back here.

Pickford 

Godfrey      Mina      Tarkowski 

Patterson                                         Myko

Iwobi            Doucoure 

Mcneil              Dele             Gordon

I would expect Dele to be in that false 9 almost a number 10 position with Gordon & Mcneil ( possibly Gray ) playing as left & right forwards - 3-5-2

Im expecting something like this too. I think the toss up will be between Keane/Godfrey, Iwobi/Davies/Allan and Gray/McNeil.

I really dont see us having a lot of the ball as their midfield will dictate and Im not sure Iwobi will be the best man for that job. 

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Im expecting something like this too. I think the toss up will be between Keane/Godfrey, Iwobi/Davies/Allan and Gray/McNeil.

I really dont see us having a lot of the ball as their midfield will dictate and Im not sure Iwobi will be the best man for that job. 

Same mate, there’s probably 3/4 combinations we aren’t sure of & Frank is still figuring out. I just hope who ever he selects we defend well and can keep a consistent backline for a few games.