IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) 13th August

dunlopp9987

Well it took a 20 year old lad for us to show anything remotely positive.

Can’t see Gray getting a run next game. Onana made a little mistake but applaud the intent. Has to start next game. Gordon came alive in the last 10/15 but didn’t do much before for me.

No where near good enough but Onana at least capable.

I just feel if we continue to set up with 5 at the back every week we are going to spend the whole season chasing every game. It's horrible to watch and a reactive way of playing football.

I get we have players out but I can't stand us being absolutely dominated in midfield week in week out and the more we lose the worse it will get for the players

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Thought Iwobi did well enough again

He was ok. I didnt think he made enough of an impact on or off the ball. Probably next best though.

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I just feel if we continue to set up with 5 at the back every week we are going to spend the whole season chasing every game. It's horrible to watch and a reactive way of playing football.

I get we have players out but I can't stand us being absolutely dominated in midfield week in week out and the more we lose the worse it will get for the players

This is exactly what will happen and we have signed players that fit that exact whay of playing too. 

7 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Problem is that Mykolenko isn't a good enough defender (yet) to trust in a back 4, so do you play Holgate there? Also don't think Vinagre is built to be a proper left back

Game lost in midfield, 2 there is just not enough, we looked much better when we were forced into 4 at the back. If we do t get a new striker before next week, Rondon needs to start, he’s not great but at least he fights for possession. Onana didn’t let his error affect him, he was the spark that dragged us back into contention, can only get better with more playing time.

next week has become a game where we definitely  need 3 points to take the pressure of Frank and the squad

Its difficult to judge because we spent 70 minutes without a striker, so the ball just kept coming back at us. Plus its another new back 5 which will take time to gel properly. 

Once we had a striker on we looked so much more dangerous. Gordon and Grey could make runs beyond Rondon.

I thought everyone played ok considering, McNeil struggled, but its hard playing in a new team with no striker.

Plenty of positives.

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Problem is that Mykolenko isn't a good enough defender (yet) to trust in a back 4, so do you play Holgate there? Also don't think Vinagre is built to be a proper left back

Mykolenko played ok, he is a good defender, I have no problems about him playing in a back 4, especially as his experience in the premier league grows.

15 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

There are a lot of areas you could point to in any system and say it isn't good enough.

The biggest area is in central midfield for me. Games are won or lost there and hopefully Onana can change this, but I'm not expecting much.