IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) 13th August

dunlopp9987

We don't seem to do to well against Villa.

Their first home game of the season, and us still finding out feet with the new squad and possibly another debut at the weekend.

Think I would take a draw and no injuries if I could.

0-0 would suit me as really hoping we become very difficult to score against and defensively we really grow in confidence game on game. Would love to see a frustrated and groaning set of Villa fans.  

Pickford

Patterson  Tarkowski   Holgate   Coady    Mykolenko

Iwobi        Doucoure

Gordon            Rondon             McNeil

Unless Onana majorly impresses in training early on I don't see him starting.  From what I saw and read it seems Iwobi and Doucoure played well together in the first game so I'd be inclined to stick with them and bring Onana on for one of them in the second half.

With 2 CB's out I'd give Coady his debut ahead of keane and use Holgate who had good reports from his appearance.  I think with 2 good leaders next to him Holgate could flourish.

Rondon has to start for me, I think although he struggled to score he did improve towards the end of last season and when fully fit he can give the defenders some trouble and hold the ball up well.  Even if he doesn't score we'll make their defense work more if we have a natural forward on their backs.  

Tough game this, I was surprised to see Villa turned over at the weekend, they have some decent attacking threats that we need to be weary of but I think we can win this one.  Lets hope we can avoid the nightmare away form we saw last season and get up and running with a win.

I'm just not sure about Villa yet under Gerrard. They have a decent enough squad but they don't really seem to be performing as well as they should. Something certainly isn't right. I'm also not convinced that Gerrard knows his best 11 or best formation either. 

They seem to get bodies forward, take plenty of shots but I am not sure how many good chances they create and because they have numbers forward, it leaves them vulnerable which is likely to suit us.

I think this is a game that we should be winning if we have any designs of being comfortably safe this season.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I'm just not sure about Villa yet under Gerrard. They have a decent enough squad but they don't really seem to be performing as well as they should. Something certainly isn't right. I'm also not convinced that Gerrard knows his best 11 or best formation either. 

They seem to get bodies forward, take plenty of shots but I am not sure how many good chances they create and because they have numbers forward, it leaves them vulnerable which is likely to suit us.

I think this is a game that we should be winning if we have any designs of being comfortably safe this season.

Yet you predicted we are going to lose 1-0, have you been round Shukes drinking chilled red wine 🍷 😂

Just now, Matt said:

You think? Ex-Kopite media darling? The pundits will ignore his failings as long as they can I reckon. 

I'm not talking about the media, I mean in general. He's spent a lot of money and he'll be expected to get results and not finish just above the relegation places like last season. They'll want Europe I reckon and I don't see him getting that.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not talking about the media, I mean in general. He's spent a lot of money and he'll be expected to get results and not finish just above the relegation places like last season. They'll want Europe I reckon and I don't see him getting that.

Yeah but media pressure is a big part of building pressure on managers or player's and I don't see that happening. Agree with you completely though, I guess it comes down to how fickle their owners are. 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

9:30pm kick off here in Australia. Currently on a liveaboard dive yacht on the Great Barrier Reef so I’ll be having a few beers, watching the game and enjoying the surroundings!

Lets go boys 💙💙

Ill be stuck in a dirty dark sweaty pub in the heart of Portsmouth... I bet that makes you jealous! 😜

Defence looks the most solid we’ve seen in years once the midfield and upfront is sorted I can see us going with a 433 because we have the defenders who can cope in that system, but at the moment the midfield looks unbalanced and up front we look toothless so we are being forced to pack the defence, which will limit our chances can see this being a 0-0.

27 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Defence looks the most solid we’ve seen in years once the midfield and upfront is sorted I can see us going with a 433 because we have the defenders who can cope in that system, but at the moment the midfield looks unbalanced and up front we look toothless so we are being forced to pack the defence, which will limit our chances can see this being a 0-0.

1-0 Coady last minute winner you heard it here first.

Onus is on Villa in this game. Keep it tight and frustrate them and try and nick something on the counter.

Not expecting loads yet as players still bedding in. Defense looks strong, but only been together a few day.

Such a Different team than that taking to the pitch 12 months ago. So nicking points is the name of the game over this period.