IGNORED

Brighton (Home) 3/1/2023

Btay

Let’s hope/pray for some consistency here. I can’t help but feel 3 points here will really boost the confidence going in to the cup tie against United & then winnable games against Southampton & West ham.

Good side but I believe we can be organised enough to soak up some pressure and hit them on the counter.

Doucoure in for Onana. Same shape or a 4-3-3, I’m not sure - Don’t how we can drop Coady, Tarks or Godfrey after city. 

Let’s go boys!

• Everton have won four of their five Premier League home games against Brighton (80%), though they did lose this exact fixture last season. Of all sides they've faced at least five times at home in the competition, only against Fulham do they have a higher win rate (93%).

• Brighton won this exact fixture 3-2 last season, having failed to win any of their other nine away games against Everton in all competitions (D2 L7).

• Everton have lost their first league game in each of the past five calendar years, including a 3-2 home loss to Brighton in 2022. It's their longest such run since losing their first league game in seven consecutive years between 1957 and 1963.

• Brighton have lost their first league game in just one of the past 13 calendar years (W7 D5), losing 1-0 at home to Wolves in 2016.

It will be interesting how he sets up - especially with Godfrey now also available, making the potential use of a back three a more viable option. DCL and Grey as a front two, with the width coming from the backs. Giving some options of the bench.

If I was in Lampard shoes - do not lose this game (or next few league games) will be foremost in my mind.

I just hope they show the spirit they showed against the shite, and city, and not what they showed against wolves and Bournemouth.

Its no good just being up for it in so called big games, When in fact the teams around us are the big games.

Although Brighton  are not in a relegation battle, they are home game we must win.

COYB 

Edited by Tonsta
wrong team quoted

Davies gets the nod over Doucoure, which is a surprise. McNeil starts and Gordon is nowhere to be seen; is he suffering after-effects of the flu? I'd like to see both Price and Simms given some time. I don't agree with the "don't lose" approach - that's appropriate at times for away games - but instead want to see us go all out to win. Take risks. Let players be themselves. This is not the time to be unduly cautious.

Need a quick start here. Probably a bit too soon for Godfrey to be backing up games after playing so many minutes against city.

Let’s just get at them. Hopefully Gray carry’s on from City & we see the Mcneil/DCL combination here.

COYB’s

Just now, Bailey said:

McNeil is finding space which is getting us going forward a bit better. 

Brighton dont look anywhere near as solid at the back as they did under Potter. Space everywhere if we can put together a few quick passes.

Mcneil is playing the game like it’s a testimonial.  Not seen him break into a jog yet

We have no control of this game whatsoever. Brighton look like they could slice us open on the counter and whilst we have moved through the phases, I dont remember seeing a chance from us (I have been in and out). 

A bit of quality will do it but we have to keep them out and I dont know if we can do that based on that half.

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We have no control of this game whatsoever. Brighton look like they could slice us open on the counter and whilst we have moved through the phases, I dont remember seeing a chance from us (I have been in and out). 

A bit of quality will do it but we have to keep them out and I dont know if we can do that based on that half.

They have had 1 shot on target all game so far… we’ve actually had more of the ball and have a better pass accuracy. We just need to get out there second half and have a go at them.