IGNORED

West Ham (Away) 21st January

FairWooney

Not much to look forward to here.

Both us and West Ham have manged just 1 point in our last 5 games.  Their last league win came 8 games ago on 24th October  and ours came in the same game week on the 22nd October with both sides taking just 2 points in that time.

Defeat could easily see the end of either manager though thus far our owner seems to be sticking with Lampard.

There has been rumour's of Benitez to West Ham, Moyes to us merry go round with Kenwright straight on the phone after he gets sacked would not surprise me!

Goals wise we also look very similar to West Ham, both sides have scored just 15 goals and have 2 players top scoring on just 3 each.  They do however have a better xG than us of 23.4 to our 19.9.  Goals against we've concded one more than them with 26 to their 25 however their expected goals against is just 21.8 which is actually the 5th best in the league.  This isn't great for us showing that the Hammers aren't giving away a lot of chances.

Pickford

Godfrey    Mina   Tarkowski

Coleman                                       Mykolenko

Gueye  Onana

Iwobi

DCL        Gray

I'd like to see Mina back into the side, Coady looked poor in the last game and having been fit for a few weeks I'd get Mina back into the side.

I'd love to see Gordon up for the fight like he was last season but at the moment he doesn't seem to be while Gray looks the player most likely to make the difference in attack.  If Gordon was looking more like he was last season I'd be tempted to start him ahead of Iwobi but not at the moment.

We need fast counter attacks with Onana, Iwobi, DCL and Gray looking to break forward quickly in transition.

When on the ball we need to be seeing Mykolenko and Coleman get forward and look to get crosses in for DCL.  Mykolenko attempted 0 crosses v Southampton.  It should also be noted that Gray did attempt 11 but only 1 was considered accurate!  Seamus attempted 3 with 1 being accurate.

Prediction: 0-0

Two teams that are terrible at scoring fighting for their lives.  Either that or they'll knick it 1-0.

We simply need to do to them what others have been doing to us at home. Need to shut their crowd up, so they are on their players back. Might do us a favor being away, can be defensive first and not worry to much about the crowd and the inevitable 'groans' at every bad touch. 

You feel somebody loses their job after this game - which team are going to perform the best to save their manager job. 

Pickford

Coleman  Mina  Tarkowski  Godfrey 

Iwobi     Onana   Gana    Doucs      Gray

DCL

Myko has been poor, think he might need a rest. People might complain about Godfrey as a leftback but name one thing Myko does better at this moment in time?  Plus Pickford might actually pass the ball to Godfrey who is not afraid to receive, dribble, or play a forward pass.  Sure Godfrey might make a mistake but playing with Myko is playing with zero outlet.  Where is the confidence that he had when playing for the national team? 

Sadly Iwobi gets put out right (even though he should be playing more left).  Normally I would put Gordon there and put Iwobi in Doucs spot but Gordon is in a bad place and might need further rest as well.

Not looking forward to this one.

There's not a lot of choice with selections and formations, sadly our team pretty much selects itself no wonder results don't get better, nearly 3 weeks into the transfer window and no one signed to make a difference. This will be another loss to a team in and around us as the last two were.  

I echo was RuffRob says really in that its a case of shutting up shop and playing on the counter. 

I would go 4 at the back with Mina and Tarkoski as the two and I think the fullbacks pick themselves. Of the three LB options I dont think it really matters which one you go for.

Central midfield wont change and Id play with Gordon and Gray because of their pace with Dom upfront.

Of the highlights I watched West Ham looked useful against Wolves, just being unable to put the ball in the back of the net and then conceding chances as they tried to open up. It will suit us if they try and do the same at home and our best bet is catching them on the counter. 

Sit that back 4 on the 18 yard box, make sure our wingers dont get too deep and become a back 6 and then launch forward with Iwobi getting forward in support. Try and win freekicks and corners and nick one from a set piece. 

• Everton are looking to complete a Premier League double over West Ham United for the first time since 2014-15. They have won more Premier League games (28) and scored more Premier League goals (89) against West Ham than they have any other opponent in the competition. If they win this game, the Hammers would be the first team the Toffees have racked up 100 Premier League points against (currently 97).

• West Ham are winless in seven Premier League games (drawn one, lost six), last having a longer run without a win between October and December 2017 (eight).

• Since the start of last season, Everton have earned the fewest points of any of the 17 ever-present Premier League sides (54). They have won just three of their 28 Premier League away games in that time (drawn eight, lost 17), fewer even than Fulham (four), who only joined the division this season.

• No side has scored fewer first half goals in the Premier League than both Everton and West Ham this season (six each), with the Hammers the only side yet to score in the opening 15 minutes of matches this term.

• This will be David Moyes' 641st Premier League match as a manager, moving level with Harry Redknapp for the joint-third most in the competition's history (won 248, drawn 168, lost 224). Of managers to take charge of at least 20 Premier League games for West Ham, only Alan Curbishley (37.1%) has a better win rate with the Hammers than Moyes (36.9%).

10 hours ago, RPG said:

In order to catch West Ham on the counter, West Ham have to attack us and they won't need to open up and do that if they score reasonably early. This is my concern - that we concede early. If we do that, I can't see us getting anything out of the game at all. If we can keep it 0-0 to around 65-70 minutes then I think we might have a chance of nicking something on the break.

Yeh West Ham are usually one of the sides that press the least in the league but at home, needing a result and with the managers job on the line, I just feel like they will struggle with that expectation a little bit and it will push them up the pitch. 

I really hope it will play into our hands, if we can avoid trying to do the same.

10 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I got a feeling that Danny Ing gets a winning goal for the hammers. 

If he were to, why is it other clubs sign players who come straight into the side and fit in whereas we always have the excuse that "it will take time for him to fit into the team"?

I’m not sure on the 532 formation but we need to find something & settle on it. We can’t keep chopping & changing as it’s causing us issues. Also, I’m not sure Lampard will drop Coady but he needs to muscle up a bit against the CF. I understand the calls for Mina but I’m not sure he is the answer.

Onana v Rice will be a key match up. His first half against Soton was huge, if he can replicate that for 90 minutes & the other 9 outfield players don’t leave it all for him to do we will win.

9 hours ago, Btay said:

I’m not sure on the 532 formation but we need to find something & settle on it. We can’t keep chopping & changing as it’s causing us issues. Also, I’m not sure Lampard will drop Coady but he needs to muscle up a bit against the CF. I understand the calls for Mina but I’m not sure he is the answer.

Onana v Rice will be a key match up. His first half against Soton was huge, if he can replicate that for 90 minutes & the other 9 outfield players don’t leave it all for him to do we will win.

We need to change the centre backs if not both at least 1 I would drop Coady since his first few games he’s been awful and to be fair Tarky hasn’t been much better. 
the last 2 home games we’ve been winning 1-0 and the defence has let us down if Mina is fit he must start and Holgate would be no worse than Coady. 
Godfrey is no central defender left back or right back will do him but overall we must change the defence.