IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

What do players know or not like about us, plenty seem happy to leave behind not many seem happy to come. I’m starting to get a little concerned it’s not long till we entertain Fulham in the first game of the season, and so far like last Jans window we’ve only managed to become as a squad weaker than before the window opened.

We're not weaker. Financially, we've offloaded several high salaries. Honestly, which of those players contributed anything meaningful last season? It's not like last time, when we lost Richarlison and never replaced him (or Gordon and never replaced him).

What we lack is squad depth; without it, injuries really hurt us. I feel confident we'll bring in two or three players in the next couple of weeks. Have faith!

9 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

We're not weaker. Financially, we've offloaded several high salaries. Honestly, which of those players contributed anything meaningful last season? It's not like last time, when we lost Richarlison and never replaced him (or Gordon and never replaced him).

What we lack is squad depth; without it, injuries really hurt us. I feel confident we'll bring in two or three players in the next couple of weeks. Have faith!

We did replace Richarlison with the signing of Maupay and Onana, problem being they didn’t fill the gap Richarlison left. Gordon going and not being replaced wasn’t I deal but it never really had a big impact on us because he wasn’t contributing that much that we would miss. But we became weaker in depth of squad which is what is happening now. We are weaker financially what ever we are saving in wages is going to be used to balance the books by the looks of things, as the long awaited financial injection that’s been promised for as long as I can remember doesn’t look like materialising any time soon. At this moment in time we as a club are in a weaker position than we were the end of last season. I have no faith in mismanagement on the scale we have shown.  

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

We did replace Richarlison with the signing of Maupay and Onana, problem being they didn’t fill the gap Richarlison left. Gordon going and not being replaced wasn’t I deal but it never really had a big impact on us because he wasn’t contributing that much that we would miss. But we became weaker in depth of squad which is what is happening now. We are weaker financially what ever we are saving in wages is going to be used to balance the books by the looks of things, as the long awaited financial injection that’s been promised for as long as I can remember doesn’t look like materialising any time soon. At this moment in time we as a club are in a weaker position than we were the end of last season. I have no faith in mismanagement on the scale we have shown.  

If DC-L had been fit all season, we would have finished mid-table. Our dilemma last season was the complete lack of offence. Even if we only recruit in that area, it will make a huge difference. 

21 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

If DC-L had been fit all season, we would have finished mid-table. Our dilemma last season was the complete lack of offence. Even if we only recruit in that area, it will make a huge difference. 

We did recruit in that area his name was Maupay. If only DCL was fit all season what sort of rational answer is that to our problems, because the reality was he wasn’t and we can only guess where we would have been if he was. 

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I get what you are trying to say but is this not a bit of a contradiction ?

We struggled last season due to a severe lack of squad depth and we have now released/sold a load of squad players which surely makes us weaker?

The squad is wafer thin as it is and bringing in another 3 will still leave us short on numbers, then factor in that we are also expected to lose another 3  and it looks pretty grim

There are still gaping holes all over the squad so I think we are going to be reliant on the youngsters and hoping for better luck than we have had for a long time with injuries

We’ve also brought Ashley young on for cover.

Will surely have DCL for a lot more games this season.

We have Cannon who’s kicked on a bit and Branthwaite looking promising.

Possibly Dobbin?

Gomes and Deli back.

Danjuma coming in today as well?

The players that have gone made zero impact on us and would have made the same this season.

I see us as stronger at this moment than we were when we finished last season.

We may sell some, loan some out… but we’re also looking at buying more and loaning more in.

42 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We’ve also brought Ashley young on for cover.

Will surely have DCL for a lot more games this season.

We have Cannon who’s kicked on a bit and Branthwaite looking promising.

Possibly Dobbin?

Gomes and Deli back.

Danjuma coming in today as well?

The players that have gone made zero impact on us and would have made the same this season.

I see us as stronger at this moment than we were when we finished last season.

We may sell some, loan some out… but we’re also looking at buying more and loaning more in.

We were saying the same thing about DCL last season and that never transpired did it? We just can’t rely on him, if he plays 15 games next season it will be a bonus

Totally disagree that the players we’ve lost had zero impact last season. Gordon scored some vital goals in the early part of the season, Cody was instrumental in the good defensive record we had in the first half of the season,  Mina played a part when fit. Even Simms played a part with the equaliser that got us a vital point away at Chelsea

It’s a squad game and ours is wafer thin, we played the most vital game in our modern history against Bournemouth last season and couldn’t even fill the bench. We have since seen 6 players from that squad go out and only one, a 38 year old, come in so I fail to see how that makes us stronger?

As it stands the expectation for the rest of the window seems to be that it will be three in and three out so by reckoning we are going to be low on numbers again this season

For me we still desperately need

a back up GK

a staring LB

a staring winger

a starting CF

a backup CF

and that’s before we lose any more players

Mina played part in a minuscule part for me, as did Simms. 
I also think we should 100% expect more from DCL.

Coady made a decent impact, but I doubt we’ll miss him much.

Gordon fell rapidly off a cliff, not just dipped in performances, but totally downed tools.

I get what your saying, but I do also disagree. 

For me, we are stronger now than when we finished. Not saying I’m right, just that’s how I see it.

I am right though.

19 minutes ago, Shukes said:

When Dyche dropped Coady for Keane, we shipped a lot more goals and I think I’m right in saying went on our worse run under Dyche. If our CB pairing is Tarkowski and Keane I think that will again more than highlight how better the pairing of Tarkowski and Coady was over Tarkowski and Keane. The only problem with Coady is that he never played under Dyche at Burnley were as Keane did, as we were reminded by both Dyche and Keane on so many occasions.  

35 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Mina played part in a minuscule part for me, as did Simms. 
I also think we should 100% expect more from DCL.

Gordon fell rapidly off a cliff, not just dipped in performances, but totally downed tools.

I get what your saying, but I do also disagree. 

For me, we are stronger now than when we finished. Not saying I’m right, just that’s how I see it.

I am right though.

It’s fair enough you saying we won’t miss certain players but I’m baffled by how you think we are stronger when we’ve only added Young?

A point in case is the team news for this afternoon , only 6 on the bench and two of those are keepers and the other 4 are kids

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Because quite a few of our first team squad are missing there.

And if the players that have left since the end of the season, none we first team players. 

DCL being fit WILL be a first team player for me. Danjuma  WILL be a first team player for me. 
Branthwaite will be a better option than Mina for me. Gomes is a very good option for me. 

Even Deli being back gives us an option.

Gbamin leaving is a nothing for me. 
Davies isn’t really a loss. 
Mina will not be a miss for me, same for Coady.  Simms was a waste of time coming back other than a solitary goal. 
Im baffled how you feel any of those players should be anywhere near the first team.

37 minutes ago, Palfy said:

When Dyche dropped Coady for Keane, we shipped a lot more goals and I think I’m right in saying went on our worse run under Dyche. If our CB pairing is Tarkowski and Keane I think that will again more than highlight how better the pairing of Tarkowski and Coady was over Tarkowski and Keane. The only problem with Coady is that he never played under Dyche at Burnley were as Keane did, as we were reminded by both Dyche and Keane on so many occasions.  

Time will tell with that one. But I clearly remember when we dropped him, we were begging for it as he was terrible. 
He had a bit of an upturn when we needed him and I’ll be forever thankful of that… same with Mina.

But sorry, both were far from good enough for us for me.

40 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Time will tell with that one. But I clearly remember when we dropped him, we were begging for it as he was terrible. 
He had a bit of an upturn when we needed him and I’ll be forever thankful of that… same with Mina.

But sorry, both were far from good enough for us for me.

Mina was our best CD problem was injuries hampered his progress in the same way as it has for DCL, but you would still argue he’s our best striker, I know it’s about opinions but to say Mina was far from good enough for us is bizarre Shukes, don’t apologise for saying it mate just go and get yourself some help😂

46 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Because quite a few of our first team squad are missing there.

And if the players that have left since the end of the season, none we first team players. 

DCL being fit WILL be a first team player for me. Danjuma  WILL be a first team player for me. 
Branthwaite will be a better option than Mina for me. Gomes is a very good option for me. 

Even Deli being back gives us an option.

Gbamin leaving is a nothing for me. 
Davies isn’t really a loss. 
Mina will not be a miss for me, same for Coady.  Simms was a waste of time coming back other than a solitary goal. 
Im baffled how you feel any of those players should be anywhere near the first team.

That feels like quite a lot of straw clutching there Shukes. 

Dom has to be fit for us to be stronger. He currently isnt. 

Branthwaite is not going to be a better player than Mina next season. He might be available more but he will be a step down from our starting pair. 

Gomes was completely out of his depth last time he was in an Everton shirt. 

Dele was a passenger last time he was in an Everton shirt (bar 45 minutes).

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Mina was our best CD problem was injuries hampered his progress in the same way as it has for DCL, but you would still argue he’s our best striker, I know it’s about opinions but to say Mina was far from good enough for us is bizarre Shukes, don’t apologise for saying it mate just go and get yourself some help😂

The reason he is far from good enough is that he was never on the field. 
People have short memories. When he was on the field he was an absolute donkey and a liability. Any fan that couldn’t see that needs help 😜

Thankfully we now have Dyche and he did see that.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Branthwaite is not going to be a better player than Mina next season. He might be available more but he will be a step down from our starting pair. 

Don’t you start. 

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It is all subjective. But I do feel that DCL had his worst season for us and he will be better.

I tho k the fact that Branthwaite will be available to play will make him a much better option.

Gomes has ability and I feel he needs a manager who can use that ability. 

Dele has the chance to reinvent himself, and I know there is a player there.

Two of these scenarios come to fruition and they easily replace what we have lost. 

I honestly don’t think those players are a loss. Let’s face it… Dyche feels Maupay is a better option than Simms. And Davies was never going to go any further here.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

It is all subjective. But I do feel that DCL had his worst season for us and he will be better.

I tho k the fact that Branthwaite will be available to play will make him a much better option.

Gomes has ability and I feel he needs a manager who can use that ability. 

Dele has the chance to reinvent himself, and I know there is a player there.

Two of these scenarios come to fruition and they easily replace what we have lost. 

I honestly don’t think those players are a loss. Let’s face it… Dyche feels Maupay is a better option than Simms. And Davies was never going to go any further here.

I do agree that they arent a loss from the first team but the issue is who now comes in? At the moment instead of it being Mina, Coady, Davies etc its going to be a bigger downgrade from starter to back-up and that is the issue. 

I do still think it is early days though. We were never going to be doing our business early so its just a case of seeing which new faces come through the door. 

Just now, Shukes said:

And anyone actually watching this match?

Come on, surely you can see Young is an upgrade for our team.? He’s looking a different level. I know it’s just one game, but he looks a tier ahead.

And this is the reason. On the whole, I'd back Dyche and Thelwell to not repeat the mistakes of the past, albeit the Iheanacho one (assuming we don't plan on changing the way we play a bit) sows a seed of doubt 🤣

36 minutes ago, Shukes said:

And anyone actually watching this match?

Come on, surely you can see Young is an upgrade for our team.? He’s looking a different level. I know it’s just one game, but he looks a tier ahead.

I watched it Young does have composure and ability on the ball, but I would expect every player to shine against a division 1 side, so slightly disappointed with Godfrey he was really poor.