IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

53 minutes ago, StevO said:

A forward, a winger, a centre back and a left back. If they are all good enough to start I’d take that with no other signings. Maybe a number two keeper if we can get a free one or a loan. 

That would be nice. Yet a big ask from us I very much doubt we have the funds available to buy 4 decent players, so at least 2 will be on frees looking for big wages which we should be able to afford when you look at the potential wages saved by the end of this month. But press reports believe we have very little to spend and potentially need to sell someone like Onana by the end of this month to release funds for Dyche to go into the market with. 

19 hours ago, Shukes said:

I would rather we brought in 3 or 4 quality players and tried to build the squad.

Buying ten players would water down the quality. We may as well or just kept the players we had. 

We need to stop thinking short term and start looking at the longer picture. Take a few seasons to grow the squad with quality, and young potential. 
We have five or six decent players here who we need to add to.

I think we are so tight with money for FFP we might have to look short term for this season - really try and make use of the loan market to get 2/3 players in that can make a difference & then buy 2 or if we can afford it 3 players with what we have + money from player sales.

19 hours ago, Shukes said:

I would rather we brought in 3 or 4 quality players and tried to build the squad.

Buying ten players would water down the quality. We may as well or just kept the players we had. 

We need to stop thinking short term and start looking at the longer picture. Take a few seasons to grow the squad with quality, and young potential. 
We have five or six decent players here who we need to add to.

I agree with this generally, albeit I imagine Southampton probably thought the same last summer when they bought a few young players with potential!

I would like to hope that there is money from the Gordon sale available - wasn't his sale more to do with him wanting to go rather than us having to cash in to pay the bills? £25-30M maybe and potentially any from an Onana sale, maybe £50M for him, Sale or release of other players could generate another player revenue stream - maybe another £20M if the Gray rumors are to be believed. Could potentially be around £100M ish - although this amount doesn't go far on any sort of recognized players, but it should be plenty to get some quality in. A very simplistic look at what we should have available - purely based on balanced net spend. 

£100m should buy you two or three quality players (average of £20M- £25M) and say three or so decent prospects (say average of £8M-10M) and perhaps two or three loans.  Easy on paper enough and relies on some smart recruitment. Which has not been our strong point this past 5-6 years.

If all this money gets swallowed up by debt etc and next to no decent signing, we are in massive massive trouble and may as well have gone down this season - just to get it all over and done with. 

I am guessing the real movement in the transfer window will start once we get in to 1st July and a new football financial year. 

8 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

As much as he is a horrible person, Daniel Levy consistently gets good deals (assuming he gets 10M for winks) yet we can't a damn thing for most of our players. Winks hasn't played for over a year I think. 

Did he not play out on loan? It wouldn't surprise me like because he's wank.

10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Did he not play out on loan? It wouldn't surprise me like because he's wank.

Yes he did (Italy). Sorry I wasn't clear I should've said "played for them". I was basically comparing him to the many players we've sent out on perpetual loans until their contracts expire - will we see 10M for Gomes or Gbamin? Prob not even 5M combined. 

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

As much as he is a horrible person, Daniel Levy consistently gets good deals (assuming he gets 10M for winks) yet we can't a damn thing for most of our players. Winks hasn't played for over a year I think. 

Levy doing well getting Maddison for £40M and potentially getting rid of Winks for £10M.  

Maybe I was being too optimistic.
Only said 10 as we've already let a couple go and were needing 5 players before that!

Sad to see other clubs making moves and we're emptying the money tin to see what we can scrape together.
That said, its around now that contracts expire etc so maybe we'll be surprised as we leap into action. 
Shows how bad we are that Tielemans goes to Villa on a free.
Maddison at £40 million is good value too, and we've paid similar prices for absolute shite.
Both way better players than anything we have / had 

30 minutes ago, Fosse Captain said:

Only said 10 as we've already let a couple go and were needing 5 players before that!

Sad to see other clubs making moves and we're emptying the money tin to see what we can scrape together.
That said, its around now that contracts expire etc so maybe we'll be surprised as we leap into action. 
Maddison at £40 million is good value too, and we've paid similar prices for absolute shite.

We are not signing 10 players... and we need a center forward not a center midfielder.

16 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

We are not signing 10 players... and we need a center forward not a center midfielder.

I'd have rather seen us sell Onana and get Maddison. Not sure if the financials work out on that - woudl we get back what we paid for Onana....what wages is Maddison on vs Onana etc, but just in terms of swapping out mid for mid but getting a better end product, I'd have done that.

All hypothetical of course, no way Maddison would be joining us.

2 hours ago, Fosse Captain said:

The thing is, Villa is a much more enticing option than us right now. I doubt Tielemans would've even considered us. 

Villa also looking like they're getting Pau Torres from Villareal, another player who's been linked with top European clubs lately. 

46 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I agree with Fosse Captain, seeing all the moves for players that are being made shows the state we are in. I really hope my trust in Dyche isn't misplaced as he's worked on a shoestring before. Not forgetting Thelwell but I'm still a bit meh there.

Thelwell and Dyche did not put us in our current situation.  Disappointment, frustration, anger lies solely at the feet of the owner and chairman.

9 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

The thing is, Villa is a much more enticing option than us right now. I doubt Tielemans would've even considered us. 

Villa also looking like they're getting Pau Torres from Villareal, another player who's been linked with top European clubs lately. 

That was my point.
Terrific players on a free going to a team we would usually think we are bigger / better than.
Considering they were a Championship side 5 years ago says it all about the state of our club 

1 hour ago, Fosse Captain said:

That was my point.
Terrific players on a free going to a team we would usually think we are bigger / better than.
Considering they were a Championship side 5 years ago says it all about the state of our club 

The stadium is the biggest difference between Everton and Villa - similar size, following, history, fan base, even Ellis/Kenwright similarities but Villa Park is lightyears ahead of Goodison with corporate and income generating. Things may seem pretty shitty at the moment but Bramley Moore is the most important part of Our foreseeable future - it’s our opportunity to become ‘competitive’ again - the biggest travesty is that it’s taken so long to get to this point - what could have been had we moved into King’s Dock all those years ago? We’ll never know but at least we’re close to reality now.

16 minutes ago, c1982 said:

The stadium is the biggest difference between Everton and Villa - similar size, following, history, fan base, even Ellis/Kenwright similarities but Villa Park is lightyears ahead of Goodison with corporate and income generating. Things may seem pretty shitty at the moment but Bramley Moore is the most important part of Our foreseeable future - it’s our opportunity to become ‘competitive’ again - the biggest travesty is that it’s taken so long to get to this point - what could have been had we moved into King’s Dock all those years ago? We’ll never know but at least we’re close to reality now.

I’ve been in Birmingham today and on the way home I saw a huge digital billboard on the M6 (might have been M5, can’t remember) advertising Foo Fighters playing Villa Park. 

Beyoncé recently played Sunderland’s stadium of light, Sam Fender player St James Park. Last year Bon Jovi played Anfield, Metallica played the Etihad a few years back. 

We just don’t get involved in this kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’ve been in Birmingham today and on the way home I saw a huge digital billboard on the M6 (might have been M5, can’t remember) advertising Foo Fighters playing Villa Park. 

Beyoncé recently played Sunderland’s stadium of light, Sam Fender player St James Park. Last year Bon Jovi played Anfield, Metallica played the Etihad a few years back. 

I'm sorry, Beyonce played stadium of light? Are you sure it wasn't a drag impersonator of Beyonce?

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Taylor Swift is playing in the shed too, we need that kind of pull