IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

Dyche knows how much money he has. He said before the season ended that he has already had talks about it, but for now he concentrating on the next game.

Dyche wouldn’t have even come here without having that conversation in meetings before hand. And if he hasn’t…. Then I’m shocked how he ever got as far as he has.

Bloody hell I can’t hire a plasterer without having those conversations…. And plastering isn’t even a real trade 😳

1 hour ago, Harv said:

But who will be on the way out.

If we could get £60m for Onana I would take that - He was hot and cold last season and hadn't made himself an integral part of the team. Yes, he will get better, but think at the moment £60M in to a transfer kitty may be more useful to us as a club. He wouldn't feel like a £60M loss to the team, much like Gordon didn't feel like a £45M loss in January. 

Would be happy to see Gray go, as he will command a fee - maybe up to £10M and is definitely a fringe Dyche player so will fall down the pecking order as other players come in.

Obviously Maupay leaving for some sort of fee would be most welcome, £5M ish maybe and would say maybe the same for Keane. 

Just getting Gomez, Gbamin and Alli of the payroll would be great as well.

That could generate of the order of £70M, and add to that some of the Gordon transfer funds (if its still available like it was in January), then potentially not the worst transfer kitty available -  potentially be nudging the £100M mark.  I might be far of the mark, and transfer fee gains simply cancel out all the lost sponsorship we have lost. Who fucking knows with this club - as its never straight forward.

I just don't think we are yet a club that can afford the luxury of  £60M worth of potential in our midfield, at the expense of an increased budget to spend elsewhere across the team.  I am pretty confident we can't afford both. I feel transfer funds are going to be needed to be generated to allow decent and meaningful transfers to be made. 

The way I look at is if we only had £60M to buy a players this window - would spending the lot on Onana the very best use of it?

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I would say Pickford falls into that category

Ideally, I wouldn't want to sell him either, but if the money is going to be this tight, I would rather we get two proven goalscorers (one wide, one central) than keep him. An okay keeper and two really good forwards is better than an excellent keeper and Maupay.  

3 minutes ago, Formby said:

Ideally, I wouldn't want to sell him either, but if the money is going to be this tight, I would rather we get two proven goalscorers (one wide, one central) than keep him. An okay keeper and two really good forwards is better than an excellent keeper and Maupay.  

I agree on this, but Pickford isn’t going anywhere.  

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Obviously Maupay leaving for some sort of fee would be most welcome, £5M ish maybe and would say maybe the same for Keane. 

I hope we would sell Maupay for more than £5mil given that we bought him for £15mil with only 1 year left on his contract!

3 hours ago, Formby said:

Really good forwards carry a premium price tag, we aren’t getting two of them with any fee we would get for Pickford

Even if we could I think an average keeper behind our shite defence would concede a lot more goals than two really good forwards supplied by our creative vacuum of a midfield could ever score

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

do you think he is worth more than £5M this summer? What we payed for players is not a great barometer for what we might sell for 🤣

Not sure he is worth £5 based on what he looked like for us but hopefully someone can look past that! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

So far we have seen Mina, Coady, and Davies all involved with the 1st team, it’s looking like Gray and Onana may follow and Iwobi if he still refuses to sign a new contract, again all 1st team players. Then we should get our fee for Kean and  Gomes should be sold and we may possibly get something for  Gbamin, and I’m sure there will 1 or 2 more to exit so we should get a nice bit of money and a fair amount off the wage bill. Then we are in the hands of Moshiri and Kenwright that we are given the opportunity to reinvest it, and if so the hard bit begins buying the the right players, so good luck everyone we may need quite a lot of it this coming transfer window. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So far we have seen Mina, Coady, and Davies all involved with the 1st team, it’s looking like Gray and Onana may follow and Iwobi if he still refuses to sign a new contract, again all 1st team players. Then we should get our fee for Kean and  Gomes should be sold and we may possibly get something for  Gbamin, and I’m sure there will 1 or 2 more to exit so we should get a nice bit of money and a fair amount off the wage bill. Then we are in the hands of Moshiri and Kenwright that we are given the opportunity to reinvest it, and if so the hard bit begins buying the the right players, so good luck everyone we may need quite a lot of it this coming transfer window. 

We have already had the Keane money so unless we sell Onana or Pickford we won’t have a pot to piss in

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

Highly doubt we'll be able sell Gbamin, it'll be more likely we loan him out for his last year and he leaves on a free next summer.

Could be the same with Gomes, but there's a chance we can get a small fee for him.

The wage bill will definitely be looking healthier, unless we then go fucking crazy on what we give to any incoming players. But I guess, I'm worrying over nothing when we've got the dream team of Moshiri, Kenshite and Thelwell on the job.

So plenty of people out the door or currently walking through it seems.
The squad was thin and imbalanced before, now its just thin.

So despite the financial problems, you could argue that the squad is in a good place.
Deadwood gone (apart from a couple) so kind of a blank canvas. The reset point we all want. 

It will now go one of 2 ways 

• We bring 10 or so players in (realistically that's what we need now) All are carefully thought out and part of a plan. They have the right age profile and most importantly improve the squad in terms of quality but also numbers and also options. Their wages reflect their 'reputation' too (eg unknown talent) and they even have resale value. 

Or 

• We piss what little money we do have up the wall on absolute shite / premier league 'experience'. 29 year olds on 5 year contracts who've been shite for a while but they once had a few good games in 2019 ......... and nothing changes. The Everton Retirement Home in all its glory 

Most important Summer in many years, we have to get this right 

What's your money on? 🙈

I would rather we brought in 3 or 4 quality players and tried to build the squad.

Buying ten players would water down the quality. We may as well or just kept the players we had. 

We need to stop thinking short term and start looking at the longer picture. Take a few seasons to grow the squad with quality, and young potential. 
We have five or six decent players here who we need to add to.