IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

Have we any news on Davies and Coleman?

Not arsed about Davies. Needs to go to a club/level he can play weekly, I'm sure he'll do a good job.

Coleman we need to keep.

Bit concerned about how much thinner our already threadbare squad will become and how much money will be needed to find replacements. Unless, of course, we use some youth.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He's been sitting on a significant wage hasn't he? Scored a couple of crackers but it hasn't worked out. Good luck to him.

Bit harsh - he did a good job when fit but he’s been injured all this season - not in/out niggly injuries, a huge potentially career ending injury. I wouldn’t keep him but pre-injury, he was more than useful in this useless squad.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Bit harsh - he did a good job when fit but he’s been injured all this season - not in/out niggly injuries, a huge potentially career ending injury. I wouldn’t keep him but pre-injury, he was more than useful in this useless squad.

How is saying "its not worked out" harsh? That's quite literally what has happened.

This is going to be a very critical transfer window. 

Quite a few players out of contract or loan is up, so will be gone. - Mina, Davies, Townsend, Coady, Vinagre, Begovic, Lonergan and Nkounkou

Others on loan have hopefully done enough to get permanent deals and maybe even some modest transfer fee. - Gomez, Gbamin

Players unlikely to every put the shirt on but might be hanging around a bit longer - Alli

Players who would be better finding pastures new would be - Keane and Holgate.

Then we have the players we would prefer to see staying in the squad, but might very well see going in order to boost the transfer pot - Onana, Pickford and Iwobi (with no new contract yet signed)

I am sure we will see Branthwaithe promoted to the senior ranks and maybe also Tom Cannon, even if only until January. 

This seasons 'playing squad' could quite easily be 8-9 players down, from a squad that was already two attacking players shy of being anywhere near a competitive side.

This season is going to be a near squad re-build, on a limited budget, on the back of two relegation battling seasons, a dysfunctional board, FFP investigation going on and basically being blanked by every player in the last transfer window. We are very much not out of the woods yet.

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

This is going to be a very critical transfer window. 

Quite a few players out of contract or loan is up, so will be gone. - Mina, Davies, Townsend, Coady, Vinagre, Begovic, Lonergan and Nkounkou

Others on loan have hopefully done enough to get permanent deals and maybe even some modest transfer fee. - Gomez, Gbamin

Players unlikely to every put the shirt on but might be hanging around a bit longer - Alli

Players who would be better finding pastures new would be - Keane and Holgate.

Then we have the players we would prefer to see staying in the squad, but might very well see going in order to boost the transfer pot - Onana, Pickford and Iwobi (with no new contract yet signed)

I am sure we will see Branthwaithe promoted to the senior ranks and maybe also Tom Cannon, even if only until January. 

This seasons 'playing squad' could quite easily be 8-9 players down, from a squad that was already two attacking players shy of being anywhere near a competitive side.

This season is going to be a near squad re-build, on a limited budget, on the back of two relegation battling seasons, a dysfunctional board, FFP investigation going on and basically being blanked by every player in the last transfer window. We are very much not out of the woods yet.

Another good reason for having Dyche at the helm. He's used to not having limitless cash to squander  spend.

19 minutes ago, Bailey said:

My view is that it is easier to organise a defence and make average defenders look somewhat capable than it is to coach players into become good attackers, create chances and take those chances. If a top centre half becomes available at our price range then we should really look at it but our focus needs to be on attacking players, including a competent attacking left back.

Agreed; the fact that we conceded fewer than Southampton, Leicester, Leeds, Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves and Spurs but only outscored Wolves shows where we need the most improvement.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Agreed; the fact that we conceded fewer than Southampton, Leicester, Leeds, Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves and Spurs but only outscored Wolves shows where we need the most improvement.

Goals conceded would also dramatically reduce if we a) didn't play with 10 men and b) had someone up front who could maybe hold the ball there long enough for the team to get into position. 

10 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I am too lazy to write all the names listed in the article. Its just an interesting list of all the player who are out of contract across Europe's top leagues.  

I mean who do you think we should take? 

I don't know who we would be interested in. Like others have said, lots are over the hill, some would only be interested if we waved lots of cash at them. Not sure they would be coming here with the type of hunger we are going to realistically need. Nowadays Everton need to be a bit more choosey on who we offer decent wages to. 

Tarks was a decent enough free last season - but none other than maybe the already linked Dembele catch the eye as what might be realistic targets. 

2 minutes ago, Boston Toffee said:

Sorry to ask a dumb question but does anyone know realistically how much we have to spend right now?

Boston that’s not a dumb question mate, I personally have no idea but like you and many more would love to know what sort of budget if any we have for this transfer window, but I suspect FFP rules will hamper what we need to do.