IGNORED

Newcastle H 27 April

duncanmckenzieismagic

We just need to learn from this game and win the rest. 

For a long part of that game we matched Newcastle but their quality told in the end and when it went to two, the game gets away from you and it is what it is. 

We played in good areas of Newcastle's half but we were just so poor when the ball was in control and in good positions. We just wanted to play floaty high balls into Dom rather than the quality balls we have been playing in previous games. Iwobi, Gana, Doucoure in particular were the biggest culprits. 

Godfrey has just gone. I don't think he was a brilliant player to begin with but he has lost his pace, his defending has nose dived as a result and he shouldn't be on the pitch. I am not necessarily saying that Patterson (or Holgate) will be much, if any, better, but Godfrey isn't going to be the answer to any question. He needs to be taken out of the firing line. 

Another factor which is frustrating our attacking play is a lack of width. We see both wingers coming inside so often, and the fullbacks are still stuck in their own half and we play within the confines of the 18 yard box. When we don't have the composure to pick a pass or make the right decision, we need to create big chances and we are making the pitch too small.

I am not sure why there is such a delay to the subs as well. I get that the choices aren't great but a handful of players had no right to play as long as they did. Sometimes just a change of energy can make a difference. 

27 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

Any reasons why? 

Not enough up top for me.

Tactics going into the game tonight?

Gana on free kicks!! Since when has he scored a free kick! That shit is decided before the game in the dressing room.

Iwobi and Godfrey should have been hauled off! Gray and Patterson on. Dyche has zero awareness or seems like he doesn’t during games.

A manager who is predominantly defensive yet we have leaked 7 at home in 2 games.

I understand he can only work with what we’ve got, but IMO he’s not putting the best team out on the pitch.

Or changing things when needed because he’s oblivious!

14 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We just need to learn from this game and win the rest. 

For a long part of that game we matched Newcastle but their quality told in the end and when it went to two, the game gets away from you and it is what it is. 

We played in good areas of Newcastle's half but we were just so poor when the ball was in control and in good positions. We just wanted to play floaty high balls into Dom rather than the quality balls we have been playing in previous games. Iwobi, Gana, Doucoure in particular were the biggest culprits. 

Godfrey has just gone. I don't think he was a brilliant player to begin with but he has lost his pace, his defending has nose dived as a result and he shouldn't be on the pitch. I am not necessarily saying that Patterson (or Holgate) will be much, if any, better, but Godfrey isn't going to be the answer to any question. He needs to be taken out of the firing line. 

Another factor which is frustrating our attacking play is a lack of width. We see both wingers coming inside so often, and the fullbacks are still stuck in their own half and we play within the confines of the 18 yard box. When we don't have the composure to pick a pass or make the right decision, we need to create big chances and we are making the pitch too small.

I am not sure why there is such a delay to the subs as well. I get that the choices aren't great but a handful of players had no right to play as long as they did. Sometimes just a change of energy can make a difference. 

These are two symptoms of the same illness.  No one on here thinks Patterson is the savior, but he would at least provide natural balance.  Godfrey gives us nothing going forward and now he can't defend either, so there's no argument to keep playing him.  It has to be Coleman or Patterson on Monday.

Keane also needs to come back out.  He was back to his old riverboat ways today.  Mina comes in.

Make those two changes from the start, find a way to get the same energy we showed in the first 30 and we'll be competitive against a Leicester side that can't defend and has an attrocious keeper.  After that Dyche has to use his subs to affect the game.  He's been way off it of late. 

22 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

These are two symptoms of the same illness.  No one on here thinks Patterson is the savior, but he would at least provide natural balance.  Godfrey gives us nothing going forward and now he can't defend either, so there's no argument to keep playing him.  It has to be Coleman or Patterson on Monday.

Keane also needs to come back out.  He was back to his old riverboat ways today.  Mina comes in.

Make those two changes from the start, find a way to get the same energy we showed in the first 30 and we'll be competitive against a Leicester side that can't defend and has an attrocious keeper.  After that Dyche has to use his subs to affect the game.  He's been way off it of late. 

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think anyone who watched Patterson earlier in the season would have thought we were particularly balanced, unless it was a case of being poor on both full backs. Godfrey can be quite dynamic going forward, but he isn't getting forward. I don't know if that is tactical or due to hesitancy. Patterson isn't great going forward either, but I suspect he would at least be more naturally inclined to play that way. I do think it is time the young lad was allowed a chance under Dyche as Godfrey and Holgate have shown themselves incapable.

I didn't think Keane was that bad. The Isak goal was shocking but otherwise, I thought the performance of both centre backs was more of a factor of us being unable to control midfield than poor performance. They didn't stand out to me anyway. 

I think one of our biggest problems today was the midfield again. Gueye was poor, Onana was a bit of a ghost and Doucoure was doing Doucoure things (good and bad). The decision making from all three was poor and I think Garner would add that bit of control and quality we need. It would be interesting to see how he would get on alongside Onana and Doucoure. 

I am also worried that Iwobi losing his composure completely and it would be a coin toss between him and Gray. Everything was over hit or under hit, the one good thing he did all game, he still had a better pass on. 

Collectively as a group, we did not deal well at all with the pressure today. 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought we had the better of the play until we went 2 down and as is the case with us it was just that bit of quality that held us back. The one time we showed quality and the fucking thing is ruled out for offside.

After that it was just a fucking nightmare.

Agreed but the way collapsed like a pack of cards after the second goal was really worrying

I thought we started really well, I asked my son where has this team been hiding for the past few weeks we looked really good, but once again we put every shot straight down the middle of the goal in to the keepers arms, they score with their first shot on target and we loose our composure, grab an equaliser only to be scratched off. 
Godfrey started badly and got progressively worse, he should have been taken off for his own sake, never mind the teams. I understand Dyche holding out with no other changes at 0-1, but as soon as it went to 0-2 changes were needed.

It was a game many didn’t expect a result, it’s not easy to do, but let’s get over it and hope for a couple of wins at least from the next 5 games, let’s preserve our status and sort ourselves out in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

let’s preserve our status and sort ourselves out in the summer.

That's what we thought we'd do last season as well.

I had the same hope but it won't be there this summer if we somehow manage to stay up. I think it'll be another relegation scrap and eventually it's going to get us if we don't sort ourselves out off the field.

Lets understand Godfrey is a CB not a FB, totally different position and mindset, so why pick him to play there.

We have a good RB in patterson, but our manager for whatever reason, wont pick him, this must be for reasons off the pitch, maybe a clash of personalities who knows, it was suggested due to his injuries when playing for Scotland, and returning to soon to the national side, he put country before club, who knows.

But what we do know is we suffered as a team and that's wrong, we have no threat from either full back, and neither of the 2 FBs last night could cross a ball to save their lives. Iwobi has become very indifferent again, he obviously does not like the wide position, so why play him on the wing, should have played Grey.

The 2 CB no longer gel together so change one of them or both for a game, we are loosing all the time so try something different.

Nothing worse than doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, madness. So Everton.

Lastly who Gana on free kicks FFS, he struggles to pass 10 yards on the floor.

If we are to get out of trouble, we need new ideas, over to you SD.