IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Wednesday 27th September

Btay

Tricky midweek cup tie against a very good team, would love to try and get one back over them for earlier in the season but league takes priority. Rotation in some areas especially Young & Doucoure (who got through a mountain of work against brentford).

Pickford

Patto     Godfrey      Branthwaite     Myko

Garner                Onana 

Harrison*         Danjuma                Dobbin

DCL

Unsure on Harrison’s fitness but would be great for him to get minutes if possible. Would also like to see Chermiti up top with DCL & Danjuma at LW but I think our midfield would be completely over run.

I can’t see Gana playing 3 games a week at his age though. Mcneil is coming back from injury still so it’s a big ask to have him back up but if it’s good to go then great. Doucoure ran nonstop last game - as much as I don’t rate him as a technical footballer we can’t lose him right now.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Luton and Wolves played their B teams. They know the importance of winning in the league. If we have any sense, we’ll do the same. 

This argument comes around every year and I just don’t get it, what is the point of the club if it’s not to win football matches?

I was lucky enough to bump into Kevin Sheedy and Kevin Ratcliffe on a night out in Liverpool last month and they both said the same thing when I asked them about how players feel and they both said they would have been banging on the managers door demanding answers if ever they were rested

I know it was a different era but they won the lot with a squad of about 15. Momentum and confidence is still huge in todays football  so unless there are injury / fitness concerns around certain players we should be putting out our strongest possible team and going all out to win every match we play in

2 hours ago, Harv said:

To use a racing parlance. I would use the cup as schooling in public, resting a few and introducing some who haven’t had a lot of game time. Premiership survival must come first. Three points at the weekend was fantastic but let’s keep our feet on the ground.

The FA Cup is different because it’s prestigious still. We really don’t want to choke up our schedule with a run in this meaningless cup, though,  especially with a squad with limited depth. 

I know I irritate several by saying this every year, so I shall keep quiet on the matter now. If we win tonight, well done to the team. If we lose, we can focus so that’s good too. Just hope and pray for no injuries to key players. 

(On a train about to cross the Brunel bridge from England to Cornwall. Am in the UK for a family reunion with cousins.)

Its not like we have a massive squad and need to be keeping fringe players happy. Most have not been on international duty, so not got lots of games in their legs, if anything more matches will be be good for the team. There is also another international break in a couple of weeks.

I think Villa being in Europe this season means this cup will be low on there list of priorities and would be suprised if they don't put out a second string. Villa decent but are not anywhere near Man City or the like with squad depth, so if we put a strong side out its a very winnable game.

We should be going all out to win all three games before the international break. 

45 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The FA Cup is different because it’s prestigious still. We really don’t want to choke up our schedule with a run in this meaningless cup, though,  especially with a squad with limited depth. 

I know I irritate several by saying this every year, so I shall keep quiet on the matter now. If we win tonight, well done to the team. If we lose, we can focus so that’s good too. Just hope and pray for no injuries to key players. 

(On a train about to cross the Brunel bridge from England to Cornwall. Am in the UK for a family reunion with cousins.)

I think you need to explain your thoughts on this more…. Just in case others aren’t sure!

You got loads of time on the train 😉