IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

its interesting isn't it. For me he is definately proving what I have said:-

He is a great finisher

He does have a poor touch

He can be strong when his head decides to be

His performance levels stem from "how up for it" he is

The latter point is the key. He is always gonna miss chances due to a bad touch, but he will score chances due to being a great finisher - the thing he needs is to "stay motivated, work hard"

Naismith makes awful passes at least 5 times a game but he wants the ball and makes a great pass one in 5 - thats fine, because he doesn't hide, he wants to win and the fans respect him for it.

More of the same please Rom, attitude wise certainly.

Bullshit !

OH, so you were right all along.

Only YOU could expect people to believe your bullshit. :rofl:

The best bit........."for me he is definatly proving what I have said "..........just read back through some of your insults and slurs.

The people that really understand football could always see through some of his faults and knew what he was capable of.

And still only 21.

One thing I have noticed is that he has an excellent cross field pass.
Last night at tines hos touch was terrific, but then other times he was awful.
But like you have said he is one hell of a finisher.

Hafs post is pretty much spot on though and we should keep it about Lukaku and not Haf.

Just so happy for Rom last night and hoping that maybe this can be the spur he needed. Looking forward to Sunday now.

One thing I have noticed is that he has an excellent cross field pass.

Last night at tines hos touch was terrific, but then other times he was awful.

But like you have said he is one hell of a finisher.

Hafs post is pretty much spot on though and we should keep it about Lukaku and not Haf.

Just so happy for Rom last night and hoping that maybe this can be the spur he needed. Looking forward to Sunday now.

My post is spot on because I don't have an agenda - I have a desire for Everton to be a top team and for that to be the case we need the players to be the best they can be. If I am proved wrong by a player then I will say I was wrong. There has only been a few players that irritated me:- Neville, Fellaini (I retracted my concerns after he grew into the role, but then he kinda justified the initial concerns) and Lukaku.

I could sit and say reasons why I think I have a valid opinion but at the end of the day its all it is - an opinion. Idiots will be idiots at the end of the day as per the usual couple of juvenile keyboard warriors rear their heads.

My concern with Lukaku will and always will be his attitude - when it is right his impact is so much more than what it is when it isn't and the reason is because he is not a natural footballer, he just isn't. Gary Lineker wasn't nor was Ian Rush so it doersn't have to be a problem - but what they had was a very very strong mentality - that is something that Rom doesn't have - he needs to be cajolled or something needs to make him think "i'm up for this".

I think you can see within the first 10 minutes what type of game he's gonna have - it really is that clear. I think the players themselves know it - you seen Naismith with him when he scored it was like a "this is what its all about - get stuck in" - and to his credit he did.

On a game where he wasn't as involved we may have just seen the chances that he really did blow and we would be talking about him as being useless - but its a numbers game. Get in the mix enough times with the right intensity and you will score- Michael Owen as annoying as he is - always says it - and he's right.

With Rom its about intensity - he closes players down and people say he's working hard, but have you seen him do it wanting to win the ball vs going through the motions - I have and I see it clearly. There is a massive difference bewtween the Man City Rom versus the Crystal Palace Rom. Same brain, different days = different attitude = different instensity.

Is he always gonna score? Yes as long as he works hard to alleviate the times when his touch is off.

Is he gonna miss sitters? Yes, cos he has a bad touch

Is he good in the air? No, but if the ball finds his head he can direct it well enough.

Is he strong? when he wants to be

Can he hold up play? Not really but he has to minimise the effect the errors in control have and he did this last night.

I know Rom gets a lot of stick for his hold-up play, because of his touch. But, have you noticed how good his footwork has become, with his back to goal? There were a few times last night where he received the ball with someone coming from the back and someone from the front of him and he was able to manouver his way out of it and lay off a nice pass for (gasp!) a runner coming from midfield. It was impressive.

My post is spot on because I don't have an agenda - I have a desire for Everton to be a top team and for that to be the case we need the players to be the best they can be. If I am proved wrong by a player then I will say I was wrong. There has only been a few players that irritated me:- Neville, Fellaini (I retracted my concerns after he grew into the role, but then he kinda justified the initial concerns) and Lukaku.

I could sit and say reasons why I think I have a valid opinion but at the end of the day its all it is - an opinion. Idiots will be idiots at the end of the day as per the usual couple of juvenile keyboard warriors rear their heads.

My concern with Lukaku will and always will be his attitude - when it is right his impact is so much more than what it is when it isn't and the reason is because he is not a natural footballer, he just isn't. Gary Lineker wasn't nor was Ian Rush so it doersn't have to be a problem - but what they had was a very very strong mentality - that is something that Rom doesn't have - he needs to be cajolled or something needs to make him think "i'm up for this".

I think you can see within the first 10 minutes what type of game he's gonna have - it really is that clear. I think the players themselves know it - you seen Naismith with him when he scored it was like a "this is what its all about - get stuck in" - and to his credit he did.

On a game where he wasn't as involved we may have just seen the chances that he really did blow and we would be talking about him as being useless - but its a numbers game. Get in the mix enough times with the right intensity and you will score- Michael Owen as annoying as he is - always says it - and he's right.

With Rom its about intensity - he closes players down and people say he's working hard, but have you seen him do it wanting to win the ball vs going through the motions - I have and I see it clearly. There is a massive difference bewtween the Man City Rom versus the Crystal Palace Rom. Same brain, different days = different attitude = different instensity.

Is he always gonna score? Yes as long as he works hard to alleviate the times when his touch is off.

Is he gonna miss sitters? Yes, cos he has a bad touch

Is he good in the air? No, but if the ball finds his head he can direct it well enough.

Is he strong? when he wants to be

Can he hold up play? Not really but he has to minimise the effect the errors in control have and he did this last night.

Thats probably the most balanced post you've made about Lukaku and I still cannot agree with what you say!

Don't have an agenda? I know you want the best for Everton, but you've got to admit you're massively overly critical of the lad? Can you not see that? You've given him nothing but grief bar glimpses of praise when, and only when, he's been brilliant. If he's not brilliant, he's shite in your eyes even when he's playing well or average even.

Its funny though, because I think he is proving me exactly right :lol:

• His touch is improving
  • He's working harder as he gets better service (rather than getting fed up after making loads of runs without being found)
  • He's learning to position himself better to win headers
  • He's a goal scorer and a match winner, given the chance.

The one thing I will agree with you on, this season he's not done it anywhere near enough this season. Though I still maintain that he has not had the support in order to keep up his morale and he's let his frustrations impact his performances. That will also change with experience, and again, we've bought potential, massive potential. Last night shows what he is going to be, a perfect example of why I have so much faith in him. He can destroy anyone given the support, early balls into the box or in front of him. It's not rocket science, Roberto just tried to change too much too quickly and now we're getting a bit of balance, we're seeing the rewards.

Thats probably the most balanced post you've made about Lukaku and I still cannot agree with what you say!

Don't have an agenda? I know you want the best for Everton, but you've got to admit you're massively overly critical of the lad? Can you not see that? You've given him nothing but grief bar glimpses of praise when, and only when, he's been brilliant. If he's not brilliant, he's shite in your eyes even when he's playing well or average even.

Its funny though, because I think he is proving me exactly right :lol:

• His touch is improving
  • He's working harder as he gets better service (rather than getting fed up after making loads of runs without being found)
  • He's learning to position himself better to win headers
  • He's a goal scorer and a match winner, given the chance.

The one thing I will agree with you on, this season he's not done it anywhere near enough this season. Though I still maintain that he has not had the support in order to keep up his morale and he's let his frustrations impact his performances. That will also change with experience, and again, we've bought potential, massive potential. Last night shows what he is going to be, a perfect example of why I have so much faith in him. He can destroy anyone given the support, early balls into the box or in front of him. It's not rocket science, Roberto just tried to change too much too quickly and now we're getting a bit of balance, we're seeing the rewards.

Touch is improving? No. There are games where it looks ok and then there follows a game where it is abysmal. Thats not improving, it identifies that it is inconsistent which to me when it comes to controlling a football is "POOR". An inconsistent touch is a poor touch.

He gets better service "when" he works harder - when he is "on it" he aggressively runs into space and doesnt just point 5 feet in front of him whilst his marker is running alongside him.

Learning to position himself better to win headers? - he still gets outjumped a ridiculous number of times. I'm yet to be convinced by his aerial ability he can direct a header ok.

He is a goalscorer and a match winner - I agree.

Touch is improving? No. There are games where it looks ok and then there follows a game where it is abysmal. Thats not improving, it identifies that it is inconsistent which to me when it comes to controlling a football is "POOR". An inconsistent touch is a poor touch.

He gets better service "when" he works harder - when he is "on it" he aggressively runs into space and doesnt just point 5 feet in front of him whilst his marker is running alongside him.

Learning to position himself better to win headers? - he still gets outjumped a ridiculous number of times. I'm yet to be convinced by his aerial ability he can direct a header ok.

He is a goalscorer and a match winner - I agree.

Inconsistent touch is a poor touch?? No, its inconsistent. 2 very different adjectives with very different meanings. Some of his control and foot work was exceptional, meaning he can do it. I will agree its inconsistent but it is getting better.

You know what, lets not do this again, for everyone's sanity :)

Don't know what to say about him.

He worked harder today but was shit in front of goal..embarrassing really.

Some have said he is a finisher....get in the vault. He's just not a natural finisher. He's not a natural footballer.

He's simply a nice guy. He worked hard today and got in the position to score five.....oh what I would give to swap him for Naismith in those positions...you Know the one, the shit footballer that is keeping up with the 28 million striker?

Do we keep plodding on or cash in before he is worthless?

Reminds me off Carrick, AFs big embarrassment that he would never admit.

He still has potential though, that's the problem. He always looks like he is about to turn that corner...much like Barkley.

But will either of them ever git that potential?

For me I would sell if offered 20 and take the hit and try to get a natural finisher.

The weather was absolutely terrible at Goodison. Not to give Lukaku too much leeway, but at least when he misses opportunities he makes up for them. Not like Barkley today, absolutely terrible.

Can't agree with that sorry.

Barkley had a few loose touches but looked good at times too...Lukaku missed everything today. Effort was ok but ability was poor, very poor.

I don't think there are many that would argue against pub team players being able to get 3 of this efforts on target.

This is one even Lukaku will want to forget....very poor.

Edited by Shukes

OK... lets cast away the whole "I back rom - I don't like Rom debate"

It is what it is. He is an Everton player - for now.

Lets pretend he is called Billy Johnson a 21 year old player who had a prolific record scoring in the championship and now he's at our club...

I didn't get all critical of him yesterday, he doesn't miss chances on purpose, he doesn't miscontrol on purpose - he does because unless he puts the right boots on - he isn't good enough.

Theres a lot of romance and Football Manager/FIFA 12 hype about Rom - the goals that he scored for Anderlecht etc etc etc. Its created a monster, one that is hyped more than the ability deserves.

I said the other night when he got his hat trick - it wasn't the chances he took, it was the ones he missed. Absolutely bread and butter for a striker - missing them is like a goal keeper dropping a cross, simple as that. Yes he scored 3, just like a keeper may catch 3 (actually his 3rd deserves more than that because it was a great finish) - but he is missing absolute sitters, miscontrolling the ball, straying offside when there is no need.

The lad is puzzling, and unfortunately I don't see a great player in the making at all. I have seen enough good young strikers who when you seen them you "knew" they were gonna be great players becuase thay did what they needed to do - control and finish, run the line with perfect timing, bring others into play

Ronaldo - Brazil

Shearer

Fowler

Anelka

Rooney

He will be a hot and cold player who will fustrate and amaze in equal measure. Like yesterday showed the premier league does not let you off when you have an off day in front of goal, chances are at a premium and they need finishing.

Hit the 15 mark. Said from the start if he gets 15-20 this season he's done his job. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets 20.

I thought he'd get 15-20, but in the PL alone.

Don't want to piss on his chips but 5 of those goals are against 1 team. In the Europa he's doing good.

Could do with a few in the league now.

Very very hot and cold season.