IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Then I guess Naismith isn't either.

I followed that post because you make light of Lukaku's age but fail to realize that he's so much further along than Naismith was at 21, but you don't bring up Naismith on every thread like you do Lukaku.

Yes but we didn't throw £28m on naismirh.

Is it about the price tag? I'll let you answer that when Distin gets released, mirallas goes for £5m, and we need 4 players.

Yes but we didn't throw £28m on naismirh.

Is it about the price tag? I'll let you answer that when Distin gets released, mirallas goes for £5m, and we need 4 players.

Martinez agreed the price tag not Lukaku

If its a money thing what about the cash we have wasted on Kone and Alcaraz? Im fairly certain that the £28M we invested in Lukaku will turn out to be better value for money

Martinez agreed the price tag not Lukaku

If its a money thing what about the cash we have wasted on Kone and Alcaraz? Im fairly certain that the £28M we invested in Lukaku will turn out to be better value for money

I'm surprised you arent a big fan of alcaraz and Kone. After all you were quite fond of a budget basement manager punching above his weight earning top dollar for being average.

Not sure they will get 10 years like. But hey, maybe one day Rom may get his move to a big club and try and rub our nose in it. I hope so, cos that means we may actually get decent money for him.

I'm surprised you arent a big fan of alcaraz and Kone. After all you were quite fond of a budget basement manager punching above his weight earning top dollar for being average.

Not sure they will get 10 years like. But hey, maybe one day Rom may get his move to a big club and try and rub our nose in it. I hope so, cos that means we may actually get decent money for him.

Not sure how paying £6M for Kone can be viewed as a budget signing but you must be struggling if your bringing Moyes into the argument

Not sure how paying £6M for Kone can be viewed as a budget signing but you must be struggling if your bringing Moyes into the argument

Nearly a 5th of the price we paid for Rom.

Kinda like quibbling over spending £5k on a VW golf and trying to find fault with it whilst you have spent £25k on a new insignia that doesn't really do much more.

At least you are only gonna lose £5k after scrapping the golf whilst we buy any car offer you £10k for your 2 year old insignia.

"It's a good car, it just prefers cruising in Europe, likes smooth roads, doesn't pull caravans, broke down in Burnley but looked good at other times. Just a bit hit and miss"

Edited by Hafnia

Nearly a 5th of the price we paid for Rom.

Kinda like quibbling over spending £5k on a VW golf and trying to find fault with it whilst you have spent £25k on a new insignia that doesn't really do much more.

At least you are only gonna lose £5k after scrapping the golf whilst we buy any car offer you £10k for your 2 year old insignia.

"It's a good car, it just prefers cruising in Europe, likes smooth roads, doesn't pull caravans, broke down in Burnley but looked good at other times. Just a bit hit and miss"

For a man who loves to throw stats about, here is one for you in the time Kone has been at the club he has scored 1 goal, we bought Lukaku in a couple of weeks later and he currently has 32 goals. Now in my book that's a fucking hell of a lot more and Im not even going to bring in the difference in age/potential and so wont even point out the obvious difference in sell on value

For a man who loves to throw stats about, here is one for you in the time Kone has been at the club he has scored 1 goal, we bought Lukaku in a couple of weeks later and he currently has 32 goals. Now in my book that's a fucking hell of a lot more and Im not even going to bring in the difference in age/potential and so wont even point out the obvious difference in sell on value

Here's a stat, "kone has not failed to score in as many consecutive games for Everton than Rom"

Ace stats aren't they.

Hey 1 in 4 prem games, 0 in 8 attempts on target against Leicester. Woo hooo.

I just want a performance against Newcastle, 2-0 both Ron goals and I'll quote this.

Here's a stat, "kone has not failed to score in as many consecutive games for Everton than Rom"

Ace stats aren't they.

I just want a performance against Newcastle, 2-0 both Ron goals and I'll quote this.

Neither have I , there is an equally irrelevant stat for you

Kone was injury prone before we bought him , hence my objection to the price tag for a very average player at the time so don't bother trying to manipulate your stats with that. Surprised you didn't bring in Traore,s stats

Ace stats aren't they.

You quote stats when they are in your favour. Not like me to agree with dunc but every thing he has said it agree with recently

I can't believe some of this argument is still on going.

How about we look at motm votes on TT, it's a good cross section of opinions from evertonians, more votes for big games, less votes for small games with little interest. Rom has the most votes of any player this season.

Yes we paid a lot for him, and £28m might have got someone better. But who? And would he be happy on less than £100k a week?

Last summer Rom was probably the best player available, willing to come to Everton, and fit in with our wage structure, with resale value and potential to improve.

Do we expect 30 goals a season? It's a while since we had a player even come close. If Rom gets 20 goals this season I will consider him to have had a good season, particularly with the season we've had.

Watching the replay, Lukaku's run for the first goal was very impressive. His penalty, on the other hand, was terrible. Still, they all count.

Straight down the middle penalties are probably just as effective as carefully placed ones given that the 'keeper virtually always chooses a way to go leaving the middle of the goal empty (unless he can get a foot to it). Stats on it would be interesting.

Straight down the middle penalties are probably just as effective as carefully placed ones given that the 'keeper virtually always chooses a way to go leaving the middle of the goal empty (unless he can get a foot to it). Stats on it would be interesting.

I remember being in one of my econ classes (game theory) and we had a penalty kick problem/study done that had recorded all the penalties taken in a league since its inauguration (can't remember which one). Point being, you should always choose to kick it to a side (assuming that neither you nor the goalie know which way the other is going). You are always much more likely to score by picking a side, never pick middle. Hope that makes sense but it's kinda hard to explain

Edit: I completely explained that incorrectly. Think about it like this, if I'm the penalty taker and I think the goalie is going left, I go right. If I think he's going right, I go left. If I think he's staying down the middle, I pick a side. It's never to your advantage to pick right down the middle because as say looking at Lukaku's PK, the goalie went one way but still got a foot to it.

Edited by Toffee_in_LA

I remember being in one of my econ classes (game theory) and we had a penalty kick problem/study done that had recorded all the penalties taken in a league since its inauguration (can't remember which one). Point being, you should always choose to kick it to a side (assuming that neither you nor the goalie know which way the other is going). You are always much more likely to score by picking a side, never pick middle. Hope that makes sense but it's kinda hard to explain

Edit: I completely explained that incorrectly. Think about it like this, if I'm the penalty taker and I think the goalie is going left, I go right. If I think he's going right, I go left. If I think he's staying down the middle, I pick a side. It's never to your advantage to pick right down the middle because as say looking at Lukaku's PK, the goalie went one way but still got a foot to it.

Fair enough; but I can't remember many instances of 'keepers standing still and catching a ball hit straight at them, if any (cue loads of examples being posted).

Also, if the 'keeper stands still and the ball goes in a couple of feet to either side of him he looks a bit daft doesn't he? "Didn't even try!" people would say; at least if he dives and gets it wrong he was "sent the wrong way" by the taker so less at fault.

As someone who scored four out of four against 2 different prem west Cheshire standard goalies in front of the kop my opinion is this....

Lukaku beat the keeper by mind not technique. It was bluff. He looked twice to his left, and hoped the keeper would follow his lead and last penno.

It went in, that's that.

As a penno it was shite, a lottery. The best penno takers hit it where they want with authority.

On that the best penalty I've seen was zidanes against england in 2004. Hit the actal inside of the side netting at pace, unsavable. Baines is very good, ballotteli and aguero the best around at the moment.

Edited by Hafnia

As someone who scored four out of four against 2 different prem west Cheshire standard goalies in front of the kop my opinion is this....

Lukaku beat the keeper by mind not technique. It was bluff. He looked twice to his left, and hoped the keeper would follow his lead and last penno.

It went in, that's that.

As a penno it was shite, a lottery. The best penno takers hit it where they want with authority.

On that the best penalty I've seen was zidanes against englant in 2004.

Bloody hell mate.