IGNORED

At what point do we say we are in a relegation dogfight?

On 02/12/2017 at 20:20, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

No I wouldn’t say it’s normal, but there are a lot of shite teams in the Prem this year, ourselves included

Any 3 from 10th down could easily be relegated

Now that we are in 9th, does that mean we are no longer in the fight?!!!

;):P

32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

10 points from a relegation spot and 9 from a champions league place and players starting to find some form, do me a favour and cut the relegation bull shit out.

yes sir  no more shit.......  lets just go down and we can win the football league,  and I think also going down will be Man city, Liverpool and Chelsea

14 hours ago, rubecula said:

imho every team is in a relegation battle while it is still mathematically possible to go down. .... No matter how unlikely.

Agreed. Unlikely we go down, but if we have a terrible run of form over the next month, we'll be right back in it. Crucial to pick up some more points during the holiday period.

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

10 points from a relegation spot and 9 from a champions league place and players starting to find some form, do me a favour and cut the relegation bull shit out.

I agree, we are not now in a relegation fight.  

After the 5 - 2 defeat to Arsenal, and the loss to Leicester we were staring at a relegation battle.

4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I agree, we are not now in a relegation fight.  

After the 5 - 2 defeat to Arsenal, and the loss to Leicester we were staring at a relegation battle.

They weren't good times but for some reason I didn't feel the threat of relegation, I think I immunized my self from it last season when I was shouting sack Koeman he's going to take us down and we ended up finishing 7th.

44 minutes ago, Palfy said:

They weren't good times but for some reason I didn't feel the threat of relegation, I think I immunized my self from it last season when I was shouting sack Koeman he's going to take us down and we ended up finishing 7th.

I didn't think we would be relegated as I knew we would get someone in to sort it out. But the way we were playing with no confidence or formation, style that worked made us relegation candidate's if we did not bring a new manager in. 

Lets put it this way.....

Our team was getting tonked left right and centre.  Not just beaten but absolutely destroyed. Not by good teams but by shit teams too.  

That doesn't happen to good sides.... it doesn't happen to average sides..... it happens to shit sides and shit sides get relegated. 

Our team has been bust out of shape by a poor manager.  An inexperienced manager couldn't rectify it.... a new manager has bought his coaches in and it seems to have resulted in some key wins. Let's be honest if we lost them we would be thinking that we are destined for bottom 3. 

Let's not pretend relegation was never a threat - it was. 

18 hours ago, hafnia said:

Our team was getting tonked left right and centre.  Not just beaten but absolutely destroyed. Not by good teams but by shit teams too.  

That doesn't happen to good sides.... it doesn't happen to average sides..... it happens to shit sides and shit sides get relegated. 

Our team has been bust out of shape by a poor manager.  An inexperienced manager couldn't rectify it.... a new manager has bought his coaches in and it seems to have resulted in some key wins. Let's be honest if we lost them we would be thinking that we are destined for bottom 3. 

If those kind of results and performances were still happening after around game 25, entering into February, then relegation would have been a threat. No doubt about it. Then we would have been amongst it all. Definitely.

What always bugged me about this particular thread was the condescending nature of it. I read back on it the other night and some of the comments are pretty arrogant to say the least.

We'll see what happens though. Plenty of games to go.

18 hours ago, hafnia said:

It never was simply because it was too early in the season with too many points to play for despite how horrific our performances had been. The squad has always had the talent to be much higher up the table, they just needed stability and leadership, and Moshiri took too long addressing it. As soon as the managerial situation was sorted, everything calmed down and that was always going to be the case.

A lot of people panicked,  it was far too early in the season to think of relegation.  i think we might get seventh again this year.  we are only one point behind Leicester to go into eighth and then its just a case of waiting for Burnley to come back to us because they cant keep up their present form.

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

I've watched us toy with relegation a few times and our current side was in that bracket.  It was shocking to see.  

I still think we are a long way off.  A good injection of money is required. 

Performance wise, yes. But the talent is there in this squad.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

A lot of people panicked,  it was far too early in the season to think of relegation.  i think we might get seventh again this year.  we are only one point behind Leicester to go into eighth and then its just a case of waiting for Burnley to come back to us because they cant keep up their present form.

Been thinking the same today about Burnley. But then I remember I said the same about Leicester when they won the league!

It wouldn't surprise me if Burnley faded out a bit. But I wouldn't begrudge them a good season. I like how they've gone about things as a club. Built it up patiently, stuck with their manager even after relegation.

Burnley Fixtures ....Man Utd twice, Liverpool and Spurs in the next six games.

Sat Dec 23       Tottenham Hotspur H

Tue Dec 26      Manchester United A

Sat Dec 30       Huddersfield Town A

Mon Jan 1        Liverpool H

Sat Jan 13        Crystal Palace A

Sat Jan 20        Manchester United H

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Burnley Fixtures ....Man Utd twice, Liverpool and Spurs in the next six games.

Sat Dec 23       Tottenham Hotspur H

Tue Dec 26      Manchester United A

Sat Dec 30       Huddersfield Town A

Mon Jan 1        Liverpool H

Sat Jan 13        Crystal Palace A

Sat Jan 20        Manchester United H

Palace playing very well right now and Huddersfield has been terrific in SOME of their matches. They could pick up next to nothing from these six and slide down or pick up some points and continue to surprise.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

It never was simply because it was too early in the season with too many points to play for despite how horrific our performances had been. The squad has always had the talent to be much higher up the table, they just needed stability and leadership, and Moshiri took too long addressing it. As soon as the managerial situation was sorted, everything calmed down and that was always going to be the case.

Matt old  mate,  dunno whether you are playing the Devil's Advocate or simply being naive.  Relegation was always possible and honestly it still is. Things are better now but let's not think we just got out of a bad situation.  Papering over the cracks does not do more than hide them, yes we re doing better,  but we can still get sucked down  into a nasty place.

3 hours ago, rubecula said:

Matt old  mate,  dunno whether you are playing the Devil's Advocate or simply being naive.  Relegation was always possible and honestly it still is. Things are better now but let's not think we just got out of a bad situation.  Papering over the cracks does not do more than hide them, yes we re doing better,  but we can still get sucked down  into a nasty place.

I’m not at all, I’m quite serious. Our form would’ve lead to relegation but that was always a temporary thing and there were 80 something points to play for when this discussion first started. Never doubted we’d get back on track, simple as that. 

Maybe my early memories of Mike Walker and Walter Smith have hardened me up to be more positive :P

It’s not about it being mathematically possible or our form in certain matches. 

It’s about if we were realistically in a relegation scrap. And you can’t be in a relegation scrap at that stage of the season. There are far too many points to play for, injury’s and even a transfer window to contend with. 

Man City has not won the premier in the few months.

Lukaku hasn’t already ordered his CL tickets for next year.

We were not preparing for the championship.

This thread started through emotion... and many felt that emotion, and had a right and reason to. But realistically, there was no relegation battle going on.... just as realistically, we haven’t done enough to suggest there won’t be one yet.

If those kind of results and performances were still happening after around game 25, entering into February, then relegation would have been a threat. No doubt about it. Then we would have been amongst it all. Definitely.
What always bugged me about this particular thread was the condescending nature of it. I read back on it the other night and some of the comments are pretty arrogant to say the least.
We'll see what happens though. Plenty of games to go.

If those performances had continued into February we would have been down already

It’s not about it being mathematically possible or our form in certain matches. 
It’s about if we were realistically in a relegation scrap. And you can’t be in a relegation scrap at that stage of the season. There are far too many points to play for, injury’s and even a transfer window to contend with. 
Man City has not won the premier in the few months.
Lukaku hasn’t already ordered his CL tickets for next year.
We were not preparing for the championship.
This thread started through emotion... and many felt that emotion, and had a right and reason to. But realistically, there was no relegation battle going on.... just as realistically, we haven’t done enough to suggest there won’t be one yet.

So if we were 10 points adrift on Christmas Day we still wouldn’t be in a relegation battle because there were still 57 points to play for ????

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If those performances had continued into February we would have been down already

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

So if we were 10 points adrift on Christmas Day we still wouldn’t be in a relegation battle because there were still 57 points to play for ????

But they didn’t and we aren’t.