IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

I'm not a fan of Boris Johnson, but all credit to the government for this lockdown. Not a moment too soon.

People have been pouring into Cornwall and crowding the roads and beaches. I saw pictures yesterday of Tregantle in east Cornwall, and the parking and crowds are ridiculous. If these people get sick, they'll tie up the very limited resources we have in our country. Our only major hospital (Treliske in Truro) has fewer than 1,000 beds.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm not a fan of Boris Johnson, but all credit to the government for this lockdown. Not a moment too soon.

People have been pouring into Cornwall and crowding the roads and beaches. I saw pictures yesterday of Tregantle in east Cornwall, and the parking and crowds are ridiculous. If these people get sick, they'll tie up the very limited resources we have in our country. Our only major hospital (Treliske in Truro) has fewer than 1,000 beds.

In the meantime, President Trump is apparently bored with this virus and wants something else to talk about. His government is seriously thinking to end all current restrictions and encourage everyone to return to work next week. In the words of one conservative, it's just not worth the money and the hit to the economy to save the lives of older or sick people. Frankly, I couldn't believe that when I read it, but it's totally in line with the philosophy of the president's principal financial backer, Bob Mercer.

23 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Trump may have tested negative, but Rand Paul is the first US senator to test positive. This is the guy who voted against the government offering free testing and financial support to those affected.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/senators-blast-rand-pauls-irresponsible-behavior-while-awaiting-coronavirus-results/

And guess what is this guy's profession? He's a doctor!

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

In the meantime, President Trump is apparently bored with this virus and wants something else to talk about. His government is seriously thinking to end all current restrictions and encourage everyone to return to work next week. In the words of one conservative, it's just not worth the money and the hit to the economy to save the lives of older or sick people. Frankly, I couldn't believe that when I read it, but it's totally in line with the philosophy of the president's principal financial backer, Bob Mercer.

UK was in the same place only a couple of weeks ago.  (at one private event at the end of February, Cummings outlined then government’s strategy at the time in a way that was summarised by some present as “herd immunity, protect the economy, and if that means some pensioners die, too bad.”)

And now the UK is in semi-lockdown.

US will get there too.. until we find a way to fight this virus, defense is the only option and that means quarantine.

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

the above statement is applicable to the bill the republicans just tried to pass to "offer support".  all it was was handouts and free money for corporations leaving the families and middle/poor classes left behind.  it makes me sick that with everything going on certain segments of politicians are still trying to use it to THEIR gain, and not the gain of the people hurting most. 

for a balanced view from me though, i would like to note that although i'm usual republican bashing here, my state Ohio has a republican governor who has done exceptional.  we are now the 4th state to shutdown and we don't have it anywhere as bad as the other 3, he has been ahead of the federal government on all things, and really is proactive and not reactive (like trump).  so here i am waxing lyrical about a Republican, lest people think i am some commie left winger stuck in an echo chamber, well done Mike DeWine keep it up and you'll get my vote for re-election.

How has the flooding effected you?

Another scare in our household but turns out my daughter “only” has strep throat yet again. So she’s on antibiotics for the 3rd time in 4 months. Not slowed her down or affected her in anyway mind you 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

How has the flooding effected you?

Another scare in our household but turns out my daughter “only” has strep throat yet again. So she’s on antibiotics for the 3rd time in 4 months. Not slowed her down or affected her in anyway mind you 

not affected, it's central and southern ohio, i'm at the north on lake erie.  the only crazy thing that happened here is due to global climate change the lake never froze over for the winter.  the last time it didn't freeze was 1973.  when it freezes it helps the wildlife living in the lake, it stops erosion (some areas now getting 3 feet of erosion a day! due to no ice), and is beneficial to the overall ecology of the lake.  it also gives us a cool spring because the lake is warming but the ice keeps local temps down.  i fear we will have an absolute scorcher of a spring and summer now.

I have had to close my carpentry business today nearly 70 people laid off 7 of which are PAYE who I will carry on paying 80% of their salaries to through the government scheme. 
It’s the self employed I’m most concerned for as the chancellor still hasn’t come up with a solution for the 1.5 million self employed in this country, we have heard that he will be making an announcement in the next day or so, he needs to get on with it and make it good. 
We have been told this is initially going to be for 3 weeks but we are expecting it to be more like 3 months. 
Personally I’m good with it just a shame I can’t go to Spain for 2-3 months, I’ve got a few things going on out there at the moment and it would have been nice being out there to keep an eye on it. 
But I’m at the moment fit and healthy as I hope this finds you, your family and friends, and that’s all that matters in time’s like this. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

I have had to close my carpentry business today nearly 70 people laid off 7 of which are PAYE who I will carry on paying 80% of their salaries to through the government scheme. 
It’s the self employed I’m most concerned for as the chancellor still hasn’t come up with a solution for the 1.5 million self employed in this country, we have heard that he will be making an announcement in the next day or so, he needs to get on with it and make it good. 
We have been told this is initially going to be for 3 weeks but we are expecting it to be more like 3 months. 
Personally I’m good with it just a shame I can’t go to Spain for 2-3 months, I’ve got a few things going on out there at the moment and it would have been nice being out there to keep an eye on it. 
But I’m at the moment fit and healthy as I hope this finds you, your family and friends, and that’s all that matters in time’s like this. 

Is that because construction sites have closed down or were you servicing the general public?

23 minutes ago, Chach said:

Is that because construction sites have closed down or were you servicing the general public?

2 companies we work for decided to close there operations which amounted to close to 50% of our work, so we took the decision to close based partly on that and it was the right thing to do after the government’s advice, and the fact they said they were going to give help to the self employed comparable to PAYE, if they stuck to the statutory sick pay of around £90.00 a week for them in all honesty we would still be open for business.  

This is a weak government more concerned with not spending than keeping the country safe, still advocating that none essential workers should go to work if they can’t work from home, rather than have to support people to stay at home. 
They talk the talk but can’t walk the walk and people on here have been singing Boris’s praises what for I have know idea. 

42 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Update on my little fella. Ambulance came and took him for observations, wife has gone with. I'm at home with the kids waving at all the curtain twitchers in the street 

Feeling for you mate, sure he'll be OK though; gotta hate those twitchers. We had a thing a few years ago in our cul-de-sac where there'd been a pretty serious "domestic" and the young woman had been thrown out (admittedly very drunk) by her partner and was collapsed in the road with a head wound. We went out and looked after her, nobody else responded though they must have heard, you couldn't not; after a while took her home and told the partner (also very drunk) was not the way to behave. Lass knocked on our door a couple of days later to thank us and said she'd sworn off the booze. Peaceful ever since.

1 minute ago, TallPaul1878 said:

They're gonna think it is corona chan. I'm gonna play along and make sure I cough extra loud all night.

😂

I had a "thing" nearly twenty years ago when we lived in a different cul-de-sac where the police followed me home due to a hole in my exhaust (works vehicle). I parked up and the guy took my details and got on his radio; was school pick-up time so my wife went to pick up our lad and left the front door open for me to get in. Policeman got reply and turned out I was public enemy number one, three more units turned up with flashing lights; wouldn't even let me shut the front door and took me away in a van. Turned out someone in Norfolk had stolen my identity; was only when the booking sergeant asked me to take my shirt off to verify my tattoos (I had none) they realised the mistake and gave me a lift home.

Never told the neighbours the truth.:P

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Another update. Lucas has been discharged. Diagnosed with bronchiolitis as suspected. Have to keep him warm and fluids up whilst he is fighting it as there is no medication available for it.

Have to say the staff at Whiston hospital were great. A&E was virtually empty as people are finally staying away when there is nothing really wrong with them. 

Glad you got an answer, although it’s weird to be thankful for bronchitis! 

3 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Bronchiolitis is a different condition. It's caused by a virus. Bronchitis is caused by bacteria. Bronchitis can be cured with anti-biotics but viruses can't be.

My bad, misread. You just have to wait it out then?

7 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Another update. Lucas has been discharged. Diagnosed with bronchiolitis as suspected. Have to keep him warm and fluids up whilst he is fighting it as there is no medication available for it.

Have to say the staff at Whiston hospital were great. A&E was virtually empty as people are finally staying away when there is nothing really wrong with them. 

Never thought I would be pleased to hear he’s got bronchiolitis, must be a wait off your mind Paul the thought that it could have been Coronavirus must have been frightening mate, I know I would have been in a panic. 
Hopefully he’s better very soon. 

2 days at being at home with the dog getting a 1.5 hours walk every morning in the farmers fields, my garden is looking really nice spent about 10 hours working on it so far, I never thought I would like gardening but when there’s very little else to do it’s a relief to be doing it, although it will probably piss my mate off he’s been my gardener for the last few years. 

Just been for an hour-long cycle ride with the kids by the Ashton Canal - slightly (very) surreal experience, being able to appreciate the great views and nature going about its business while we fret over jobs, livelihoods, life, and the damned virus. As I saw the sun bathing the hills in red and gold, I was reminded again of what a beautiful country we live in and how lucky we are to live here. There is much that is wrong with it, but there are many great things, too. Simple things like a cycle ride with the kids don't cost anything (okay, maybe a round of ice creams) but the memory will be there forever (which is all that counts). I hope, when this is over, that I will reflect more on such things rather than getting too angry or frustrated trying to occupy my time with nothing at all, and taking the kids to places that they don't really need to go to. Hope everyone is safe and well wherever you are.

It’s strange how this topic is starting to descend  into a left and right politics issue, surely you can complain about the governments handling of this, without being accused of being a left sympathiser as the only reason you are not happy, and also being accused of being right because you agree with the government. 
For these fractions to appear so deeply in a global catastrophe, just proves that even in the death of thousands of people, the difference of political persuasion in some and the need for one up man ship and making political gain is a far greater issue than the problem it’s self. 

On 25/03/2020 at 15:59, TallPaul1878 said:

Herd immunity is pretty much impossible with a coronavirus as they just mutate so much. The virus you become "immune" to will have mutated again in 6 months time. That's why we  need to have flu jabs every year as the influenza virus is similar. 

That is simply a speculation which is most certainly false. Coronaviruses are not mutating as rapidly as influenza. They are known since 1960's and God knows since how long they exist and how many times they jumped on a human population in the past. There is a reason coronaviruses haven't become seasonal so far, and for the same reason chances are Covid-19 won't become seasonal either.

"The Trump administration’s response to this pandemic has been tactically inept and almost completely lacking in anything like a strategic approach. The prior sentence is not to suggest the Trump administration is alone in its incompetence. The experience of Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom shows that so-called developed countries of many stripes can respond ineffectively to crisis.....

In 2020, go-it-alone political nationalism—in the United States, China, Russia, and other countries around the world—will be a contributing factor in the unnecessary deaths of at least tens of thousands (and perhaps hundreds of thousands or millions) of people in a pandemic that could and should have been greatly limited by effective international cooperation."

https://thebulletin.org/2020/03/coronavirus-overview-how-political-ideology-and-governmental-incompetence-can-kill-you/

19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The experience of Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom shows that so-called developed countries of many stripes can respond ineffectively to crisis.....

Worst thing is we were purposely ineffective. Our experts would have had all the information and data showing South Korea stagnated it compared to how rapidly Italy were effected. Yet we then chose to go down the Italy route. 

This government needs replacing immediately, they are not fit to govern and should be held accountable for mass murder, at a very minimum treason as they have put corporations before the best interest of the nation for over a decade.