IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

I hope Moyes is banging on Kenwright's door to spend this money because he was saying before Rodwell went that our squad was looking too thin.

Here's hoping!

It will be interesting to see what happens now in regards to transfers I know it's likely that a good chunk of the money will go to the banks to appease some of the debt but We really should without any excuses see some pumped back into the first team and not so much the squad as We have some good youngsters coming through.

Oh come off it Pete, Baines is one of the best LB in the world, obviously we would rather see Rodwell go than Baines, what the hell has Rodwell done to show he has all the potential people think he has? that one good game against City you mentioned and since then a string of "meh" peformances isnt enough to turn down roughly £18m for him. "we only need a stop gap untill Garbutt comes through" christ you sound like a kid playing football manager, Garbutt was on loan at a League 1 team last year and he may well get a few games off the bench or other wise in the first team this year, but to suggest in a few years he will be as good if not better than Baines is laughable considering the only thing your going off is a fairly successful loan spell in league 1.

Rodwell has the potential to be one of the best centre mids in the world. Meh games were he's unfit and shouldn't of been on the pitch, blame Moyes not Rodwell. David Beckham played for Preston the season before his United break through, look how shit that turned out. Players go on loan for development, did he benefit? Yes, so what's your point? Oh I think I'm playing footy manager. No, have some faith in the kid. How many 16 year old left backs go for almost a million? On top of that there's only been good words coming from the club about him, and a rave review from his loan.

it's because Baines is an integral part of our team and Rodwell isn't.

Baines has about 3 left at the top of his game. Rodwell would have had 12 years on top of that is marketability would have been invaluable to the club. Plus how main other teams put so much responsibility on a left back, which has been found out we could do with him leaving just to freshing up our tactics, which have been basically the same for 3 years and have gone stale.

What part of my comment was nonsense? Unless you can tell me a year of recent where we haven't sold a valued player then I'm afraid you need to pipe down. Arteta, pienaar, lescott, Rooney, AJ, in fact just have a read here

http://www.toffeeweb...layers/past/#12

Its called business, players get sold and yet again youre only looking at 1 side of the coin. But the difference between last few years and coming future is that theres a massive bumper TV deal which makes us more financially stable, weve cleared a lot of wage bill in the last 12 months, Baines doesnt want to go, Felli is 9 months into a new contract and we've apparently just paid of 4 mortgages. Stop looking at the past and look at whats coming, thats why im saying its nonsense. Edited by Matt

Don't see how anyone can prefer to keep Baines over Rodwell. Especially if Jack has gone for less than £20 mil. We only need a stop gap until Garbutt comes through. I can't see us replacing Rodwell, how many players can keep Silva in their pocket? For people saying Gibson, he is no where near as good and a lot more injury prone.

Errm, are you sure?

objectively, this is probably a good deal for us. £15 million + add ons is a lot for a 21 year old midfielder with potential who's spent more time injured than playing. if we can get one decent player in at least instead of putting all the cash on reducing the debt that will be good. as for jack, apart from his wallet, i can't see how this move will benefit him in the short term. how on earth is he going to dislodge yaya toure, barry, silver, nasri and so on. anyway - good luck jack, i hope you excel (except against us)...

where the fuck has this idea that he has spent more time injured than playing come from? like i pointed out 80 games in 4 years isn't bad seein as he was 17 when that started..also had the likes of cahill and arteta ahead of him..cos he had a season where he was injured a bit everyone is jumpin on the injured bandwagon...fellaini misses half a season 2 years in a row..don't see anyone callin him injury prone

Rodwell has the potential to be one of the best centre mids in the world. Meh games were he's unfit and shouldn't of been on the pitch, blame Moyes not Rodwell. David Beckham played for Preston the season before his United break through, look how shit that turned out. Players go on loan for development, did he benefit? Yes, so what's your point? Oh I think I'm playing footy manager. No, have some faith in the kid. How many 16 year old left backs go for almost a million? On top of that there's only been good words coming from the club about him, and a rave review from his loan.

Baines has about 3 left at the top of his game. Rodwell would have had 12 years on top of that is marketability would have been invaluable to the club. Plus how main other teams put so much responsibility on a left back, which has been found out we could do with him leaving just to freshing up our tactics, which have been basically the same for 3 years and have gone stale.

Rodwell has the potential to become a decent enough English international. If he wasn't a young English lad that has come through the Everton academy there's no way any of us on here would have called him a "potential world beater" or someone with the potential to become "one of the best centre mids in the world" based on what he's actually shown on a football pitch for this club. I'm sure we'll cope without him.

Baines is 27. He's got at least 6 more years in him. Also, Baines and Pienaar combining on the left are one of the aspects of our game that work incredibly well. I think I've said it before, but if we want a more balanced attack, we should strenghten our righthand side, not weaken our left.

where the fuck has this idea that he has spent more time injured than playing come from? like i pointed out 80 games in 4 years isn't bad seein as he was 17 when that started..also had the likes of cahill and arteta ahead of him..cos he had a season where he was injured a bit everyone is jumpin on the injured bandwagon...fellaini misses half a season 2 years in a row..don't see anyone callin him injury prone

maybe that's because when Fellaini plays and plays well he is much more valuable than rodwell. The key players for us this season are Baines, Fellaini, Pienaar and Jelavic. These 4 will dictate how far we get in the league. Rodwell on his day is a very prmoising, composed and talented midfielder, but we already have Gibson (who hasn't lost in an everton shirt so far), Osman and a more promising and potentially influential midfielder in Barkley.

Rodwell had season after season to cement a starting place, and he hasn't. The same as Gosling as much as I would like to see him develop and ply his craft here, we just got 15m for someone we don't actually need. If Moyes can invest any of it in one wide player I'll be happy.

Lest we forget that we might well get Donovan back in January again, Coleman is working his way back into moyes' thinking, and naismith can also play wide right. So really if we can get a starting winger for the right hand side we've got plenty of back up in almost every area now. I've read Matt Phillips which would be a good buy, I'd also welcome Adam Johnson here. City literally have no wide players bar him though so let's not all assume he's available or a possible target as he may well be overpriced.

Good bit of business this if you ask me. Can't understand anyone who wouldn't take 15m for rodwell, injury prone or not.

I hate how up themselves City fans are now.

'It’s easy to say that Rodwell ‘won’t play at City’, or that ‘he’s sacrificing the crucial formative years of his career’ for a bigger wage, but he’s probably more than aware of that. In all likelihood, Rodwell will never exceed the 85 Premier League appearances for City that he’s already accumulated at Goodison Park, but again, that’s a situation which he probably accepts as a by-product of collecting something tangible from his career.'

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/understanding-jack-rodwells-transfer-to-manchester-city/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=understanding-jack-rodwells-transfer-to-manchester-city

Might be a bad time to post again given the heat of debate ha ha, but I would have taken Pienaar in and Rodwell out for decent money. It might give Moyes less need to part with Baines, and I'm confident Moyes will improve the squad as he always has.

City won't have gotten Rodwell on the cheap. I don't believe Moyes would allow that, so he will be sold for what he is worth. It would be realistic to think we might get a player on top, given their huge squad, so my guess is Adam Johnson will be in an Everton shirt come kick off, as City will want a strong Everton team for the United match. biggrin.png

Personally, I think Rodders has potential, and will be in wonderful company to learn his trade, but not sure it isn't a ploy to stop United getting him, with a view for wrapping him in cotton wool for a few seasons.

Good business from Moyes and Kenwright.

Edited by Avinalaff

This is actually true - he has missed some time injured but at least from the games played perspective he's done pretty well - league apprearances:

07-08: 2

08-09: 19

09-10: 26

10-11: 24

11-12: 14

I guess last season he's done really well when he did play but then he missed a good chunk of the season from a reocurring injury, so people remember that mostly?

Might be a bad time to post again given the heat of debate ha ha, but I would have taken Pienaar in and Rodwell out for decent money. It might give Moyes less need to part with Baines, and I'm confident Moyes will improve the squad as he always has.

City won't have gotten Rodwell on the cheap. I don't believe Moyes would allow that, so he will be sold for what he is worth. It would be realistic to think we might get a player on top, given their huge squad, so my guess is Adam Johnson will be in an Everton shirt come kick off, as City will want a strong Everton team for the United match. biggrin.png

Personally, I think Rodders has potential, and will be in wonderful company to learn his trade, but not sure it isn't a ploy to stop United getting him, with a view for wrapping him in cotton wool for a few seasons.

Good business from Moyes and Kenwright.

Good business indeed. I do think it would depend on what the shites decide to take for Agger - a lot of talk about Adam Johnson as part of the package for Agger. Would love Johnson in the royal blue but his wages are a bit outrageous at 70k/wk.

You're probably right, I don't pay all that much attention to City tbh.

I still don't think he'll go straight to starting for them though.

Anyone know what the City fans think of this signing btw?

quick peak on bluemoon suggest a lot of them think he's gonna turn out to be a steal...some clowns on other boards including utd ones suggest he may be a future centre back still...never understood that

quick peak on bluemoon suggest a lot of them think he's gonna turn out to be a steal...some clowns on other boards including utd ones suggest he may be a future centre back still...never understood that

He could turn out to be a steal, but that's only if they play him regularly so he can learn his trade. And I don't see it happening at City before he gets sick of sitting on their bench coming on for a few minutes at a time. We couldn't even provide him with the platform of regular football and that's why he didn't progress as much as we'd all hoped he would.

why is everyone going on about johnson what the f##k has he done to get this super status,to me hes done nothing.

Don't want Johnson as any part of this. Think he's next to useless for 80 minutes a match before he swings in a few great crosses. No room for that kind of luxury player at Goodison.

Sad to see Jack go, always been a fan of the way he plays, but if we get over 15 for him, then it is reasonable business. If the fee approaches 20 then we've done well.

Don't see how anyone can prefer to keep Baines over Rodwell. Especially if Jack has gone for less than £20 mil. We only need a stop gap until Garbutt comes through. I can't see us replacing Rodwell, how many players can keep Silva in their pocket? For people saying Gibson, he is no where near as good and a lot more injury prone.

You have to be kidding!

We have plenty of strength in depth in his position including some very promising youngsters in Fellaini ,Barkley, Lundstram and Fransisco Junior so we dont have to buy anybody to replace Rodwell , never mind a stop gap, because he wasnt in the team anyway. This would free up money to help us strengthen other areas of the side

We only have one senior leftback at the club, who happens to be one of the best in the Premiership yet you would seriously rather sell him?

At risk of a backlash, I thought he was a bit of an exaggerated player maybe. Some quarters running out of superlatives for a player I couldn't quite understand sometimes. What was it, £15 million we got, I guess that's a fair enough figure, good player of potential, still young and at a price I feel is not too short or over. This may well generate some more MCFC animosity, but I won't be a part of it, obviously a player they have kept an eye on and they have the funds to make a purchase, I wish him well. Only got the news late last night, and was a bit of a surprise for sure, I knew straight away that it would get people talking. A lot of high profile names at City who may warrant a starting place ahead of Rodwell, but he'll get his chance. I hope Moyes utilizes the cash wisely.

Im thinking the same way than duncanmc.... J-Rod is very promising and wish him all good. But i think it was great business, with taht 20m said.And Baines is with Felli our most important player, without those 2 we cant create anything. And tbh, before last season almost every1 would been more than happy to sell J-Rod with something like 25M.

Gibson's knees are goosed. Rodwell has been unfortunate and also played when he really shouldn't of.

Jesus Pete , Gibson is injury prone yet Rodwell is just unlucky??

Baines IS a top class player NOW . and has years left in him

We have no cover fo Baines so would need to spend any money we got for him to buy another LB who probably wooldnt be as good ( after banks have had their cut) , so no real benefit in selling

Rodwell MAY or MAY NOT be a top class player in years to come

We have plenty of other options in centre midfield some who are younger and have just as much if not more potential than Rodwell so we therefore do not need to spend a penny replacing him. This leaves us money to bring in players who can strengthen the squad in other areas ie upfront or right mid

I liked Rodwell and wish him all the best , but it really is a no brainer

we could do with him leaving just to freshing up our tactics - Priceless!

Lol Have you just got it in for Baines because he is mates with Piennar?

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

If Rodwell stagnates he is worth £15 mil. If he lives up to potential his value will rise by silly amounts, people seem to be completely blind to the amount of exposure he would have got us playing for England, he already does pretty well with advertising = massive lose. Baines is worth £15 now, and his value will only go down. If we sold him we only need a stop gap, I'd rather have an average left back for 2 years with Garbutt taking over. Plus look at every other club, we're the only one who's key play is from a left back, I'm sure we could find something useful to adapt into our own play.

I don't see how any fan can think that Moyes should stick with the same old tactics, it's boring now and they don't work anymore... unless your happy with best of the rest rather than wanting the club to up the ambition and challenge for Euro spots.

note: I'm not bothering over the injury prone, Marcopaulo has already covered it.

Edited by pete0

Baines passes forward, that is an immediate improvement over rodwell. Rodders could be class, he needs to develop a bit of nastiness about him, scream at players, have a few long range shots.

Wish the lad well, hoped he was gonna be a gerrard, alas I think he's more Gareth Barry.