IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

Baines passes forward, that is an immediate improvement over rodwell. Rodders could be class, he needs to develop a bit of nastiness about him, scream at players, have a few long range shots.

Wish the lad well, hoped he was gonna be a gerrard, alas I think he's more Gareth Barry.

I too thought he was going to be 'our Gerrard' and I genuinly think he has it in him (in terms of driving the team forward and doing something when it counts) but Moyes likes two midfielders that sit next to each other and dont stray too far apart and I really dont think that helped Jack. His best games and best moments all came from when he was getting forward. He makes good runs, he has good control and he can spot a pass. We kind of used him as a crab to pop the ball about, and I was hoping that Cahill leaving could be the making of Rodwell as it would have allowed more fluidity in the midfield.

However, when you look at the basics of the deal and the way we play. Gibson is a perfectly good crab and cost somewhere in the region of £500k... We used Rodwell as a crab and sold him for £15ish mil. Financially speaking, we have done very well out of the deal.

I don't want to be a dick but I'm going to be anyway: "Should have" NOT "should of". "Would have " NOT "would of".

Back on topic: The team that tore it up and got results in the second half of the season did not include Rodwell. Rodwell was part of the team that stumbled and got no results in the first half of the season. I suppose you can argue that Baines was also part of the first half team that was lacklustre but at the end of the day, Rodwell not being part of the team would have no real ill effect on the team.

Yes it would be sucky if he pans out and finally reaches his potential but as people have pointed out we have plenty of cover for central mid and Fellaini and Baines as it stands right now are more central to our team than Rodwell who barely played half the games in the season.

Edited by tolne

If Rodwell stagnates he is worth £15 mil. If he lives up to potential his value will rise by silly amounts, people seem to be completely blind to the amount of exposure he would have got us playing for England, he already does pretty well with advertising = massive lose. Baines is worth £15 now, and his value will only go down. If we sold him we only need a stop gap, I'd rather have an average left back for 2 years with Garbutt taking over. Plus look at every other club, we're the only one who's key play is from a left back, I'm sure we could find something useful to adapt into our own play.

I don't see how any fan can think that Moyes should stick with the same old tactics, it's boring now and they don't work anymore... unless your happy with best of the rest rather than wanting the club to up the ambition and challenge for Euro spots.

note: I'm not bothering over the injury prone, Marcopaulo has already covered it.

Rodwell already has stagnated. We have been waiting for him to kick on for a couple of seasons and it just hasnt happened for him

Ive already said that its way too early to write him off and he may well go on to fulfill his potential one day but I think your missing the point, how much is your stop gap left back going to cost ? By the time you have given the bank their cut and bought another left back there will be next to no money left so what would be the point in selling? Either way you have instantly weakened the side and who says Garbutt is going to be the long term answer after all he isnt even first choice for England U19s?

Again he may well turn into a great player as may Rodwell but theres an awful lot of ifs creeping into your argument already

We have posibly the best left sided partnership in the Prem but you want to break it up because you think its boring, do you not think it would be better to try and strengthen the right flank rather thank weaken the left ?

I really dont understand your last line either because by selling Rodwell we can strengthen in other areas of the side and move the club forwards

Rodwell already has stagnated. We have been waiting for him to kick on for a couple of seasons and it just hasnt happened for him

Ive already said that its way too early to write him off and he may well go on to fulfill his potential one day but I think your missing the point, how much is your stop gap left back going to cost ? By the time you have given the bank their cut and bought another left back there will be next to no money left so what would be the point in selling? Either way you have instantly weakened the side and who says Garbutt is going to be the long term answer after all he isnt even first choice for England U19s?

Again he may well turn into a great player as may Rodwell but theres an awful lot of ifs creeping into your argument already

We have posibly the best left sided partnership in the Prem but you want to break it up because you think its boring, do you not think it would be better to try and strengthen the right flank rather thank weaken the left ?

I really dont understand your last line either because by selling Rodwell we can strengthen in other areas of the side and move the club forwards

He was are best player before his injury, and his come back was an absolute joke by Moyes/fitnesscoaches and they have to take the blunt of the blame for his second injury, think they would learn after running Cahill to the ground and ruining Gosling's career as well. The games is to fast for their old school philosophy. He's been hit and miss but he has been a victim of Moyes crab football and square hole starting elevens (why did he play right mid?). Under another manager he would have flourished playing box to box, if he was at Sunderland instead of Henderson, the shite would have paid triple for him. This year would have been his sink or swim, with a trio of him, Osman, and Fellaini floating about we would have been a force this year. That trio could rival Busquets, Xavi, and Iniesta, but no we'll stick with the left wing because change scares us.

Richardson isnt as far behind Baines as people think. If not Neville has about a 100 games experience at left back and showed last season he can still do it there, and Distin could fill in depending on the opposition.

Garbutt is 1st choice for U19s, but I dont see how thats relevant? He chose to stay at Cheltenham and play in the play-offs, which is admirable.

Not really creeping, even if he doesn't develop any more he is still worth 15 mil for the next 10 years. Baines will be worth less than that next year, half that the year after. Simple long term view at it and its a no brainer.

We've had a strong enough central midfield to play football on the ground through the middle and havent changed tactics to take advantage of that. So strengthening the right still doesn't change a thing and if it would, why hadn't it been addressed earlier? Plus the left is a weakness because every club knows what we're going to do.

I don't see what part of the last bit can be misunderstood?

Simple really, where would city be without Arab moneylaugh.png .

He's very bitter about the many times his high priced stars have been turned over by poor old Everton.

I'm not to bothered to see Jack go, Mancini is going to show him how when you throw enough money at something you usually get something back.

He will teach him that when surrounded by players on £200,000 a week.........you win more.

Moyes has proven even on an uneven playing field he can still beat him,. that's why he's having a dig.

• 2 years later...

Did anybody see Rodwell play for Sunderland against United. He looked decent, got forward and defended well. I always rated Rodwell when he was at Everton but injuries was a problem with him. If he could stay fit for Sunderland then they have a real player on their hands. :)

In that case he won't be at Sunderland very long.

Its very easy to forget what a classy looking player he was at 16-17. I spoke to a bloke who coaches kids at Crewe who is a massive Evertonian. He said Rodwell was one of the best 14 year olds he had seen. He couldn't work out what his strongest foot was as he was pinging it asll over the show with either peg.

I think Moyes did affect him somewhat with cautionary instructions (don't shoot etc), his injuries have clearly hampered him also.

Great header he scored to be fair, though the badge kissing was a tad pathetic, he's only been there 2 minutes.

Did anybody see Rodwell play for Sunderland against United. He looked decent, got forward and defended well. I always rated Rodwell when he was at Everton but injuries was a problem with him. If he could stay fit for Sunderland then they have a real player on their hands. :)

To be fair, though, most players would look good against United right now.

• 1 year later...

I disagree Romey, when he first emerged he looked outstanding. That wasn't luck or misperception, he was quality.

He was played out wide too often and injuries played it's part. He could strike it with either foot but was screamed at for doing it.

He lost his confidence, simple as that.

He stood out because he was an Englishman that could use both feet, which was rare. It was just that those two feet were only good for passing the ball 5 yards and not achieving anything. That goal against United was the exception, nowhere near the norm. His norm was to be invisible. We robbed City for £12m, great business by whoever negotiated that.

He was exceptional at marking empty space though, I'll give him that.

Edited by Romey 1878

I disagree Romey, when he first emerged he looked outstanding. That wasn't luck or misperception, he was quality.

He was played out wide too often and injuries played it's part. He could strike it with either foot but was screamed at for doing it.

He lost his confidence, simple as that.

Moyes playing him outwide when it was obvious that he wasn't fit yet was the final straw. Went off early in the game and never been the same since.

He was miles better than Jordan Henderson.

Moyes playing him outwide when it was obvious that he wasn't fit yet was the final straw. Went off early in the game and never been the same since.

He was miles better than Jordan Henderson.

Don't get me wrong, he should have been better than anything he's shown so far, but I dont think he was ever destined to go to the top. Just a run of the mill player who should have had a decent career (and still may go on to do just that).

He had an amazing gift that went away when he had his confidence driven from him - "composure".

He had that much time on the ball in midfield as he could shift it to either foot and ping a pass - I think it was when Arteta was injured that he came in and he was brilliant.

After Arteta and a few others came back moyes inexplicably put him in the reserves and when he did play again he was pushed out on the right. Should have been so much more.

Remember him scoring a couple of screamers in 1 match..

To be fair to him when he did play for England he never looked out of his depth..was never gonna be a worldie though..think we were all too desperate for the next rooney

to which Moyes remarked "I was surprised by his shooting - he strikes a lovely ball but I haven't seen him rattle the the net before."

kinda most fans could see he had shooting power

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Sunderland want him to walk away from his £70k a week contract with 18 months on it???

If he was turning up pissed, getting done for assault or whatever then they would probably exercise that right in a flash and sack him.   Unfortunately Sunderland you can't have it both ways..... you were happy to pay Adam Johnson to play for you in full knowledge he had "kissed the girl" because he offered something on the pitch. 

Tough shit.  I would guess the lad has something to offer at that level but if you want to force him to leave then it doesn't look like it's working.

9 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Sunderland want him to walk away from his £70k a week contract with 18 months on it???

If he was turning up pissed, getting done for assault or whatever then they would probably exercise that right in a flash and sack him.   Unfortunately Sunderland you can't have it both ways..... you were happy to pay Adam Johnson to play for you in full knowledge he had "kissed the girl" because he offered something on the pitch. 

Tough shit.  I would guess the lad has something to offer at that level but if you want to force him to leave then it doesn't look like it's working.

i'm with you Haf, not to mention who is the idiot negotiating contracts that didn't put in clauses for relegation?  they were bottom table damn near all year last year when they signed him.  no brainer with even a hint of relegation and their financial issues.

side note:  mcgeady has scored 7 and assisted 5 for them this year.  found his level.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm with you Haf, not to mention who is the idiot negotiating contracts that didn't put in clauses for relegation?  they were bottom table damn near all year last year when they signed him.  no brainer with even a hint of relegation and their financial issues.

side note:  mcgeady has scored 7 and assisted 5 for them this year.  found his level.

Toxic club from board to dressing room. Pity as they have great fans. Deserve better. 

45 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Rodwell signed for them in 2014, though your point stands as they have been consistent strugglers since about 2012.

Shocking what's gone on at that club.