IGNORED

Marouane Fellaini

In front of a 3 man defense, breaking up attacks, calming possession, then moving the ball from D, through the midfield, and further forward when space opens up.

Played as a distributing and marauding wrecking ball, I think Felli might just be unrivaled. Show him as that, and then proper bids will come in.

That's definitely the role the big clubs would consider him for imo, there's no way they're gonna play him behind the striker and lump it towards him. I doubt he has the offensive capabilities to play that role for a big club that controls possession though.

I've seen reports on Martinez's tactics, and he likes a deep midfielder being the pivot of his team, the most important player in his 343 and 433 systems. Fellaini could be perfect for this. If he does well then give him a new contract and try to increase his buy out.

A number of the top teams in the world have that kind of role in their team. Most top teams prefer to dominate possession and won't hoof it forward. Like you said, the holding midfielder might be the most important player in that system. And I honestly think Fellaini doesn't have what it takes in possession to play it. You're supposed to be able to receive a pass under pressure and turn forward to open up play and build from there. He can't do that consistently, he isn't agile enough for it and he hasn't got the touch for it. Once he's facing forward, he's also supposed to pass it forward with success consistently. Every single holding midfielder in the league can give the easy pass backwards or sideways to the full back, it's passing it forwards, to the opposition's goal and beyond opposition players that's tricky. I have doubts about whether he can do that. His passing range in general also isn't very wide, it's even quite limited: he can't give an accurate long pass for shit.

To be honest, I even have some doubts about his defensive capabilities. He'll definitely be good against long balls and he's a good tackler. But I have yet to see the defensive discipline that it would take to play that role: tracking runners, staying in position and covering angles and making interceptions, leading his teammates, etc.

He has been allowed to play that position for Belgium a couple of times in our recent games and honestly, he's stuck out like a sore thumb between technically gifted players like De Bruyne, Hazard, Witsel, Chadli, Dembélé imo and I hope he gets dropped for our next games...

I do think that there is some merit in Martinez taking fellaini to that next level - the one where we all saying £40m (after the man united performance etc). If we got another year and sold him to the highest bidder then great.

Ultimately though, he has a release clause in there which clubs will not surpass by a great amount.

Not one top club is going to pay £40m for him based on the Man U performance as no top team is going to want to play him as a target man imo, they have far more nifty players to play behind the striker.

Also, clubs aren't going to surpass the release clause at all. That's the entire point of the release clause. The max we're gonna get is the amount specified in that release clause.

I want him to stay. I really feel we can make Champs League in the next two seasons, and he'll only be about 27 then. If he's patient then I think it will come for him. Just unsure how patient he is.

I feel we're gonna have a better chance to get into Europe (I'd be ecstatic with the Europa League as well) if we sold him to be honest, unless we get investment. Keep him and strengthen marginally with the likes of Koné and Alcaraz and the best we can hope for is consolidation as the teams above us and even some below us continue to spend huge amounts of money to strenghten their teams. If we sell him and get a couple of new guys in in the positions where we lack quality and depth is the way to go for me. We'd be taking risks, those moves can turn out good or bad, but the only alternative is hoping for consolidation imo.

Edited by Steve_E

I think one of Fellis strengths is holding the ball up. I also think that for his size he puts 90% of the prems midfielders to shame agility wise.

The amount of times we have watched him take a ball down turn away from someone and play the ball makes him ideal for a holding midfielder.

hen theres his break up play. He is excellent at stealing the ball of someones toes due to his agility.

A number of the top teams in the world have that kind of role in their team. Most top teams prefer to dominate possession and won't hoof it forward. Like you said, the holding midfielder might be the most important player in that system. And I honestly think Fellaini doesn't have what it takes in possession to play it. You're supposed to be able to receive a pass under pressure and turn forward to open up play and build from there. He can't do that consistently, he isn't agile enough for it and he hasn't got the touch for it. Once he's facing forward, he's also supposed to pass it forward with success consistently. Every single holding midfielder in the league can give the easy pass backwards or sideways to the full back, it's passing it forwards, to the opposition's goal and beyond opposition players that's tricky. I have doubts about whether he can do that. His passing range in general also isn't very wide, it's even quite limited: he can't give an accurate long pass for shit.

To be honest, I even have some doubts about his defensive capabilities. He'll definitely be good against long balls and he's a good tackler. But I have yet to see the defensive discipline that it would take to play that role: tracking runners, staying in position and covering angles and making interceptions, leading his teammates, etc.

I dont agree with you on this.

I see where your coming from regarding the distribution but when he plays in that role he very rarely gives the ball away and in that position I think he is the best midfielder at driving forward getting the ball to our attacking players. He doesn't have the passing range of Gibson and players like that but he doesn't need to be that expansive IMO.

Defensively I think he is by far the best player we have in midfield. His strength and anticipation (with the ball in front of him) are very good, he is probably one of the best in the league at stealing the ball from under the opposition player and whilst he isnt perfect at tracking runners, when it is his job then he is also very good at it. That last bit sounds a bit odd, but if you watch these parts of our overall performance (which I do quite closely) pretty much all of our central midfielders let their runners go and tbh it frustrates the crap out of me. When Fellaini played deep, he was the only one the tracked runners back into the box consistently. I get the feeling that if Martinez gave him the specific to play that defensive role, then I am very confident that he would easily be one of the best in the league and his value would increase as a result. I think that type of role would actually be much more suited to the Premier League than your traditional deep lying playmaker type.

I see where your coming from regarding the distribution but when he plays in that role he very rarely gives the ball away and in that position I think he is the best midfielder at driving forward getting the ball to our attacking players. He doesn't have the passing range of Gibson and players like that but he doesn't need to be that expansive IMO.

Defensively I think he is by far the best player we have in midfield. His strength and anticipation (with the ball in front of him) are very good, he is probably one of the best in the league at stealing the ball from under the opposition player and whilst he isnt perfect at tracking runners, when it is his job then he is also very good at it. That last bit sounds a bit odd, but if you watch these parts of our overall performance (which I do quite closely) pretty much all of our central midfielders let their runners go and tbh it frustrates the crap out of me. When Fellaini played deep, he was the only one the tracked runners back into the box consistently. I get the feeling that if Martinez gave him the specific to play that defensive role, then I am very confident that he would easily be one of the best in the league and his value would increase as a result. I think that type of role would actually be much more suited to the Premier League than your traditional deep lying playmaker type.

This.

Steve you said he stood out like a sore thumb against Dembele, Hazard and DeBruyne, were you being serious? Of course he is going to, there is a reason they are "creative" midfielders, Felli is an anchor man who can sit infront of the back 4 and break up play, then play the simple passes to the more creative players in our team. I'm not expecting him to be slipping balls through left right and centre, that isn't his job! That's what I would expect Gibson/Osman/pienaar to be doing.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

His Premier League passing percentages have been mediocre every season: 73% in 08/09, 75% in 09/10, 77% in 2010-11, 80% in 11/12, 79% in 12/13 (sources: http://www.eplindex.com/4073/fellaini-big-expectations.html, http://www.eplindex.com/14562/everton-201112-good-bad-opta-stats-analysis.html/2, http://www.eplindex.com/33340/reported-arsenal-target-marouane-fellaini-compared-alex-song-1112.html). He definitely played that holding midfield position in 09/10 and half of the 10/11 season, I think. Players in that role are expected to have like 88% or higher. Fellaini may be able to do that, but he has never shown he can do it. And he certainly does give it away plenty when he plays that role for Belgium.

If you say "drive it forward", do you mean by passing or dribbling with it in possession? Gibson is definitely better at distributing the ball then Fellaini and Osman is better at subtle body movements to dribble forward imo.

He's definitely our best midfielder defensively, but that won't matter for a club like Arsenal. They don't have to pick one of our midfielders to become their holding midfielder, you know :D They can go with Bender, Illaramendi, Kondogbia, Matic and many others too. I agree that if he stays, he should play that position for us btw. Osman is a lightweight, Gibson is a little bit stronger in challenges, but neither track midfielders penetrating into the box at all.

This.

Steve you said he stood out like a sore thumb against Dembele, Hazard and DeBruyne, were you being serious? Of course he is going to, there is a reason they are "creative" midfielders, Felli is an anchor man who can sit infront of the back 4 and break up play, then play the simple passes to the more creative players in our team. I'm not expecting him to be slipping balls through left right and centre, that isn't his job! That's what I would expect Gibson/Osman/pienaar to be doing.

He can't compare to Witsel either and he plays the same position. For the team to work optimally, there needs to be like a bottom limit, a minimum of technical ability. Football can be a game of inches, of fractions of a second. And Fellaini just kept slowing play down because he didn't get the ball out of his feet quick enough to pass it.
A holding player should be able to do more than play simple passes imo, he doesn't have to be able to put people through on goal from his position, but he does need to do more than passing it sideways to a full back. He needs to be able to consistently reach those creative players between the opposition's lines. Of course, you can always have one of those creative midfielders drop below all of those lines of defenders to collect the ball and let him bring the ball forward, but you're putting yourself at a numerological disadvantage that way. I don't know whether Fellaini can do that, he certainly can't seem to do so for Belgium. I hope Belgium will drop Fellaini soon and play Witsel as the holding midfielder, Chadli ahead of him to the left and De Bruyne ahead of him to the right. Fellaini can be Witsel's backup, Dembélé backup to Chadli, Defour to De Bruyne.

I sort of agree and sort of disagree at the same time Steve. In a midfield three with a pivot you would also have a bit of a work horse and then your creative player. I don't think your pivot needs to have a massive range of passing, he just needs to collect the ball from the centre halls or the full backs and look to bring the other two into play. I don't think he needs to be hitting long range balls, and in the short game Fellaini can do that perfectly well. We've seen in the past when he wins the ball back from deep, he'll burst forward for ten yards or so then just lay it off to the next man. Which I see as ideal for a possession/counter attacking game like Roberto favours.

Great analysis on the whole post though.

His Premier League passing percentages have been mediocre every season: 73% in 08/09, 75% in 09/10, 77% in 2010-11, 80% in 11/12, 79% in 12/13 (sources: http://www.eplindex.com/4073/fellaini-big-expectations.html, http://www.eplindex.com/14562/everton-201112-good-bad-opta-stats-analysis.html/2, http://www.eplindex.com/33340/reported-arsenal-target-marouane-fellaini-compared-alex-song-1112.html). He definitely played that holding midfield position in 09/10 and half of the 10/11 season, I think. Players in that role are expected to have like 88% or higher. Fellaini may be able to do that, but he has never shown he can do it. And he certainly does give it away plenty when he plays that role for Belgium.

If you say "drive it forward", do you mean by passing or dribbling with it in possession? Gibson is definitely better at distributing the ball then Fellaini and Osman is better at subtle body movements to dribble forward imo.

He's definitely our best midfielder defensively, but that won't matter for a club like Arsenal. They don't have to pick one of our midfielders to become their holding midfielder, you know :D They can go with Bender, Illaramendi, Kondogbia, Matic and many others too. I agree that if he stays, he should play that position for us btw. Osman is a lightweight, Gibson is a little bit stronger in challenges, but neither track midfielders penetrating into the box at all.

I don think he has played more than 10 or so games a season in the role I have mentioned, and in each of them season he will have played plenty more games behind the striker where I would imagine his passing percentages are probably closer to 60% so in that sense the stats are skewed. I havent seen him play for Belgium to be fair so I dont know what he is like for them and I do agree that he isnt technically as sound as the players mentioned, but I would expect his passing percentage in that role to be in the low 80's and I think he brings more with his physicality than any of them would (based on the odd times I have seen them play anyway!).

When I say drive it forward, I mean when the ball breaks free or an interception is made around the edge of our box. Felli will shrug off the challenge and bring the ball forward a good 20-30 yards trying to start an attack or at lease release pressure. Osman is a better dribbler but he doesnt have that strength to shrug off a challenge and normally his legs give way after 10 yards :)

Haha thats a shame as I was just about send Mr Wenger the link to my new Youtube video entitled 'Steven Naismith - The Destroyer' :P

I sort of agree and sort of disagree at the same time Steve. In a midfield three with a pivot you would also have a bit of a work horse and then your creative player. I don't think your pivot needs to have a massive range of passing, he just needs to collect the ball from the centre halls or the full backs and look to bring the other two into play. I don't think he needs to be hitting long range balls, and in the short game Fellaini can do that perfectly well. We've seen in the past when he wins the ball back from deep, he'll burst forward for ten yards or so then just lay it off to the next man. Which I see as ideal for a possession/counter attacking game like Roberto favours.

Great analysis on the whole post though.

That massive range of passing isn't necessarily a requirement for playing the position, I agree. But the best at his position, do have it, someone like Javi Martinez for example. I think it would probably be his best position to play for us. But if you're Arsenal or Chelsea and you're gonna spend a lot of money, there's gonna be other players considered as well and some of them may well have that passing range and it'll be an edge they have over Fellaini as there's gonna be situations where a pass like that is going to speed things up or open a defense.

I don't know whether he has what it takes to pass it forward into the feet of the striker or the attacking midfielders at the rate you want, perhaps because he's never really been given the opportunity to show he can do it or maybe because we don't want him to do something he can't. I don't know whether he'll even get into the position to play that pass to be honest. Some teams will sit back and will just let him receive the pass and turn, they'll wait at the half way line or below and he'll have time to pick someone out. Others will press higher up the pitch and sometimes he'll have an opponent breathing down his neck when he receives the ball. I think that he'll have to play it back to one of the center backs too often in that situation and that they will eventually have to go long. Ideally, he'd be able to get that ball under control and turn away from that player pressing him, looking forward and playing it to either one of the two midfielders ahead of him, to one of the centre backs that will have moved up and will drive the ball into midfield (though I don't think we have centre backs that are able to do that, we'd need someone like Vertonghen to do that) or play it into the striker's feet who can then lay it off to one of the midfielders ahead of Fellaini bursting forward so they get the ball facing the opposition's goal as well.

It's possible that he can do it, we've never really asked him to do that, but I have my doubts.

I don think he has played more than 10 or so games a season in the role I have mentioned, and in each of them season he will have played plenty more games behind the striker where I would imagine his passing percentages are probably closer to 60% so in that sense the stats are skewed. I havent seen him play for Belgium to be fair so I dont know what he is like for them and I do agree that he isnt technically as sound as the players mentioned, but I would expect his passing percentage in that role to be in the low 80's and I think he brings more with his physicality than any of them would (based on the odd times I have seen them play anyway!).

When I say drive it forward, I mean when the ball breaks free or an interception is made around the edge of our box. Felli will shrug off the challenge and bring the ball forward a good 20-30 yards trying to start an attack or at lease release pressure. Osman is a better dribbler but he doesnt have that strength to shrug off a challenge and normally his legs give way after 10 yards :)

Haha thats a shame as I was just about send Mr Wenger the link to my new Youtube video entitled 'Steven Naismith - The Destroyer' :P

I think he played the majority of his second season in that position, didn't he? And I think he did frequently in the first half of 10-11 as well, until Arteta returned from injury and Fellaini became more of a box to box midfielder with Arteta playing in front of the defense. It's definitely true that the statistics will be skewed because of his games as a box to box or behind the striker, but it's still so that he hasn't really shown that he can do it over the course of a full season, which I'd be looking for if I was gonna spend £23m on a player. Even if he did play the holding midfield role, we've never really asked him to build up play though. We used to build up play through Baines or to a long ball from one of the defenders quite a lot, back in those days with Cahill behind the striker as well.

In that sense, he's definitely better at driving the ball forward than Osman or Gibson. But that's to be expected as he's by far our most athletic midfielder and that's bound to show in transition. But I'm talking more about situations where the defense is settled into its defensive shape, after a goal kick for example.

Edited by Steve_E

So basically what I'm saying is, I think he's our best holding midfielder and I hope he plays that position next season if he's still here. But I'd rather someone came in and paid us the £22m or £23m or whatever it is to activate his release clause so we can strengthen the team. Give ourselves the opportunity to get a couple of good players in that really fit into the tactics that Martinez might be aiming for. They don't have to be £14m players like Bony, in fact I'd rather we didn't spend that much money on a player. Swansea got Ki Sung Yueng for £6m and he'd be the perfect player for that role imo. He had the highest passing percentage in the league with 92.7% in his first season (source: http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/rory.macleod/205415/the-starting-xi-with-the-most-accurate-passing-in-the-premier-league) and just look at some of those passes :o (you'll have to excuse the music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy2lIKjDdPQ

I think he played the majority of his second season in that position, didn't he? And I think he did frequently in the first half of 10-11 as well, until Arteta returned from injury and Fellaini became more of a box to box midfielder with Arteta playing in front of the defense. It's definitely true that the statistics will be skewed because of his games as a box to box or behind the striker, but it's still so that he hasn't really shown that he can do it over the course of a full season, which I'd be looking for if I was gonna spend £23m on a player. Even if he did play the holding midfield role, we've never really asked him to build up play though. We used to build up play through Baines or to a long ball from one of the defenders quite a lot, back in those days with Cahill behind the striker as well.

In that sense, he's definitely better at driving the ball forward than Osman or Gibson. But that's to be expected as he's by far our most athletic midfielder and that's bound to show in transition. But I'm talking more about situations where the defense is settled into its defensive shape, after a goal kick for example.

If I am perfectly honest I can remember entirely but I do know that he got injured in what I think was his 2nd and 3rd season and missed the whole back end, at which point I think he had been moved deeper in 10/11 and he was starting to play his best football for the club. I am about 75% confident that he has played the majority of those early games off the striker.

Anyway, that misses the point somewhat I know what you're saying and I wouldnt disagree that the bigger clubs who are looking for a marque signing may not think that Fellaini is as technical as they would want for the money, especially for a European team. I think he has always looked a far better player when he is deeper but you are definitely right when you say that he will look to involve the flanks instead of moving the ball forward but he is capable of doing it and I think its something Moyes looked at him to do. Under Martinez he may be a bit more direct, and if he stays I definitely think that side of his (and probably the other midfielders) game will improve. Also having the movement of Kone and Barkley would give him that opportunity, because the likes of Gibson and Osman dont really move far or fast! ;)

I have attached a clip of Fellaini below, which highlights his play against Arsenal in a very combative game where they pressed us high up the pitch. The stats show that he had a success rate of 84% and whilst that is only one game, it would be along the lines of what I would expect of him, at least around the 80-85% range.

As you will see (if you can access it that is!), he did pretty well under pressure and whilst the way he turns and dribbles out of trouble isnt exactly pretty, it is effective. He does use the fullbacks and CB's for a large amount of his passes but that isnt unusual for any DM, however he still makes enough passes forward and into the striker or into space that would give me hope and its worth noting that he is looking forward for a pass a lot of the time but obviously isnt getting much assistance! Here he was playing alongside another DM, but I think that he would excel in the 4-1-2-3 type role where he has two more attacking minded central midfielders to help create some space and the gaps so that Felli can get us moving forward a bit quicker.

So basically what I'm saying is, I think he's our best holding midfielder and I hope he plays that position next season if he's still here. But I'd rather someone came in and paid us the £22m or £23m or whatever it is to activate his release clause so we can strengthen the team. Give ourselves the opportunity to get a couple of good players in that really fit into the tactics that Martinez might be aiming for. They don't have to be £14m players like Bony, in fact I'd rather we didn't spend that much money on a player. Swansea got Ki Sung Yueng for £6m and he'd be the perfect player for that role imo. He had the highest passing percentage in the league with 92.7% in his first season (source: http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/rory.macleod/205415/the-starting-xi-with-the-most-accurate-passing-in-the-premier-league) and just look at some of those passes :o (you'll have to excuse the music)

I wouldnt necessarily disagree with you in that respect. I would prefer him to stay because I think he is better than we have seen so far and someone like Martinez could help eek out that extra performance. At the same time, if he was sold for whatever million and we used it wisely to invest in three of four solid alternatives then I wouldnt be disappointed.

With regards to Ki Sung Yueng I thought he was a very tidy player whenever I have seen him. He doesnt have the defensive power of Fellaini but he has a far superior passing range and vision. I would say that those stats will look better because he is at Swansea (same with Joe Allen & Leon Brittain) as they have several players ready and willing to accept the ball, where as we basically had Coleman and Baines as out balls or the hoof forwards. He certainly wouldnt have got 92%+ playing for Moyes!

I would have a pass completion of 92.7% as well if I only have to pass it 10 yards! Plus Leon Britten pisses all over him as a player, now this guy is 30 but so much of Swansea's play is dictated by him.......... wish he was here though

Edited by jona 32

http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2013/07/everton-fume-as-arsenal-refuse-to-meet-fellaini-valuation/?

Bit of a non-story this. Apparantly their "source" is Myles Palmer from Arsenal News Review. He is about as reliable a source as Bagdad Bob.

Is this an aim to stop Arsenal missing out of a player by getting their own fans irritated and demanding that the club pay the release clause?

To be honest if I was a gooner, with the kitty they have I would be livid if the club missed out on the midfielder they need to compete with the likes of Chelsea next season. Quibbling over £4m? for a £20m plus player who we bought raw for £17m. Wenger is very much under the microscope for his thrifty ways at the expense of quality - he can't afford to mess this up.

Is this an aim to stop Arsenal missing out of a player by getting their own fans irritated and demanding that the club pay the release clause?

To be honest if I was a gooner, with the kitty they have I would be livid if the club missed out on the midfielder they need to compete with the likes of Chelsea next season. Quibbling over £4m? for a £20m plus player who we bought raw for £17m. Wenger is very much under the microscope for his thrifty ways at the expense of quality - he can't afford to mess this up.

With ANR and Myles Palmer, I think it is mostly a ploy to get hits on his webpage. He is very negative towards the club, and has been for many years. That being said, I would have liked us to get new signings in early, so they can get a full pre-season with the rest of the squad.

Quite frankly, if we end up signing Gareth bloody Barry after rumours about Fellaini, Rooney, Higuain and Suarez, well, I'd be rather disappointed to be truthful.

Kone seems an astute signing, I thought he looked good last year, in an arguably up and down Wigan side.

With ANR and Myles Palmer, I think it is mostly a ploy to get hits on his webpage. He is very negative towards the club, and has been for many years. That being said, I would have liked us to get new signings in early, so they can get a full pre-season with the rest of the squad.

Quite frankly, if we end up signing Gareth bloody Barry after rumours about Fellaini, Rooney, Higuain and Suarez, well, I'd be rather disappointed to be truthful.

Kone seems an astute signing, I thought he looked good last year, in an arguably up and down Wigan side.

My mate who's a villa fan says the same, liked the look of kone and said he caused the back line all sorts of trouble. Excited to see how we will fare.

It's a bit hard to fathom that one out! Would Wenger really prefer a 32-year-old slow an fairly static midfielder to a 25-year-old Fellaini with all the different strengths he would add to their side? If all their recent press talk is true, they have plenty of transfer funds yet Wenger seems terrified to commit to the £20-£25m signings he was expected to make this summer.

Im hoping both Felli and Baines stay but if one of them is leaving, id prefer it to be Felli.

If both stay and we sign the three we have signed plus

Moses

Another good backup midfielder (wouldnt mind Ramsey at all) or a starting midfielder (Honda)

Id be as happy as a kid in willy wonkas chocolate factory.

Europe here we come!

Show some respect for Gareth Barry. He wasin the starting lineup of practically every game for Man City during their title season. He's a silent worker. It's not cause he underperforms for his country that he's shit.

I am sure he is a terrific bloke, but I'd rather see Arsenal not sign someone that is 32 and who will demand £75,000 in wages. Comparing him with Fellaini would be rather laughable. Fellaini would be more value for money, considering both his age and quality. What I saw of Barry last year was not encouraging.

Show some respect for Gareth Barry. He wasin the starting lineup of practically every game for Man City during their title season. He's a silent worker. It's not cause he underperforms for his country that he's shit.

Exactly, he is a steady eddie? Wenger knows what he will get from Barry. Fellaini is very erratic at times, don't forget he nutted Shawcross last season(Stoke player or not, you got to be a bit of a tool to do that sort of thing) Also post christmas, most Evertonians will agree that he was pants a lot of the time. The £23/24/26m(whatever the hell it is) is a lot to pay for someone who only performed for half a season and in between got themselves a ban for serious violent conduct.