IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I actually thought we would get a game from him but for the first 45 minutes he strolled around with the odd aimless sprint.

In all seriousness he could have been justifiably been taken off. I said give him 15 minutes and it turned out that way.

I actually think RM tore him a new one start of second half he chased the first ball that was played back to their keeper with intent and didn't look back.

I am balanced about the lad and if you could encapsulate his second half then he's an asset, but I'm sorry something ain't right when a player is so bipolar in effort levels.

Crazy and not sustainable.

Let's hope he gets MOTM every time Gerry plays like that as it means it takes attention off a truly gifted player who may get signed back by Barca with performances like that.

Now he knows exactly what Gerry will do with those balls there is no excuse - hit the 6 yard box!!!

P,S another first half like tonight and I will scream. I assume that's what RM did. Someone must have done something at half time.

Romalu is not a perfect striker, he will never have the ball control of a Ronaldo, or the work rate of Shearer, but what he shares with both of them is the fact he is a match winner. He come up with big goals and can change a match. Even if he is playing poorly he can, as he demonstrated last night produce moments of quality to turn matches around.

His first was a great header from a great cross by Geri. His assist for Kone was class, and with his last he showed anticipation, a predators instinct and calmness to hammer it home for the win. He also showed desire and passion in the second half.

When he is on it from the start he is almost unplayable, but he is not always on it, and that is something we have to accept. That said he is always a threat and he will score goals, and that is why we signed him.

A former coach said that his goals cover up his lack of other skills, and that's fine by me, match winners are rare and we have a wrecking ball of a match winner.

Accept him for what he is not what he isn't, play to his strengths and work on the other areas and we will have a quality striker that can make us a top 4 challenger.

What was really encouraging last night was that as the match wore on his and Geri's understanding improved, and when we started feeding Geri we looked alot more dangerous, which created space for Kone and Barkley. Geri must must start as it gives us another dimension. I cant wait to see this team develop!

COYB

Romalu is not a perfect striker, he will never have the ball control of a Ronaldo, or the work rate of Shearer, but what he shares with both of them is the fact he is a match winner. He come up with big goals and can change a match. Even if he is playing poorly he can, as he demonstrated last night produce moments of quality to turn matches around.

His first was a great header from a great cross by Geri. His assist for Kone was class, and with his last he showed anticipation, a predators instinct and calmness to hammer it home for the win. He also showed desire and passion in the second half.

When he is on it from the start he is almost unplayable, but he is not always on it, and that is something we have to accept. That said he is always a threat and he will score goals, and that is why we signed him.

A former coach said that his goals cover up his lack of other skills, and that's fine by me, match winners are rare and we have a wrecking ball of a match winner.

Accept him for what he is not what he isn't, play to his strengths and work on the other areas and we will have a quality striker that can make us a top 4 challenger.

What was really encouraging last night was that as the match wore on his and Geri's understanding improved, and when we started feeding Geri we looked alot more dangerous, which created space for Kone and Barkley. Geri must must start as it gives us another dimension. I cant wait to see this team develop!

COYB

Today is a good day to talk about Rom as he had a very positive impact on our result so its not like i'm sticking the boot in on him.

Forget touches, ability in the air and missing chances or whatever for now - talent and ability are seperate entities to "work ethic".

He could have had all the technical ability and attributes in the world last night and if he continued his first half "application and attitude" into the second half it would not have mattered - we would have lost.

We simply can not have a team where defenders and midfielders have to track runners, show positional discipline and all that dirty work and have a striker who isn't really "up for it" - it just can't happen.

It is ironic that the two goals that Rom scored from came from tougher opportunities than he would have had in the first half if bothered to attack the 3 balls that were drilled across the 6 yard box. You don't need to be a technically brilliant striker to score from those - they were bread and butter to Lineker (see hat trick versus Poland in Mexico 86).

So in short - yes we can accept that there are aspects of Roms game that will not be up toi scratch - but lack of effort is not acceptable and that has been a clear issue for some time now.

How we address that I leave to the coaches, but don't expect me to just allow "goals" to paper over laziness (because it is just that), not when other players get slammed for not going with a runner or not closing down a player who gets a shot in.

I am hoping there isn't an article on here later with Rom being interviewed and giving another "reason" why he found opportunities in the second half and that now he feels he can go on a run etc etc - we have heard it all before. Say nothing, go into the derby like you were starting the second half... the only thing that was different was YOU Rom.

Today is a good day to talk about Rom as he had a very positive impact on our result so its not like i'm sticking the boot in on him.

Forget touches, ability in the air and missing chances or whatever for now - talent and ability are seperate entities to "work ethic".

He could have had all the technical ability and attributes in the world last night and if he continued his first half "application and attitude" into the second half it would not have mattered - we would have lost.

We simply can not have a team where defenders and midfielders have to track runners, show positional discipline and all that dirty work and have a striker who isn't really "up for it" - it just can't happen.

It is ironic that the two goals that Rom scored from came from tougher opportunities than he would have had in the first half if bothered to attack the 3 balls that were drilled across the 6 yard box. You don't need to be a technically brilliant striker to score from those - they were bread and butter to Lineker (see hat trick versus Poland in Mexico 86).

So in short - yes we can accept that there are aspects of Roms game that will not be up toi scratch - but lack of effort is not acceptable and that has been a clear issue for some time now.

How we address that I leave to the coaches, but don't expect me to just allow "goals" to paper over laziness (because it is just that), not when other players get slammed for not going with a runner or not closing down a player who gets a shot in.

I am hoping there isn't an article on here later with Rom being interviewed and giving another "reason" why he found opportunities in the second half and that now he feels he can go on a run etc etc - we have heard it all before. Say nothing, go into the derby like you were starting the second half... the only thing that was different was YOU Rom.

I knew I would regret coming back I here!

Everton were shite in the first half but were much much better in the second half so surely the bit in bold should have read "if WE continued OUR first half "application and attitude" into the second half it would not have mattered - we would have lost"

Found this interesting:

_85801887_lukakumaps.jpg

1st half placement vs 2nd half placement.

Amazing how he was so much better when being able to concentrate on being a striker instead!

Replace "able" with "choosing" - and forget all words after concentrate.

The reason he never took touches in and around the box in the first half is that when we did break he was jogging!!! Matt this is 100% fact. He was as far back as 25 yards from goal when Gerry fired 2 gorgeous balls across goal, he never ran - 1 ball off Ross he just stopped. There was no need for him to drop deep, he got in the way of Ross twice.

Lets move away from trying to excuse his first half please - seriously now, its getting ridiculous. We have established he was very good in the second half and that he put in the work - that doesn't mean his awful first half didn't happen or it was because of other factors that were out of his control.

Can we please just establish that the difference between good rom and bad rom is ROM - no one else!

I'll leave it to Nevin.... never a truer word said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02glzwf

Replace "able" with "choosing" - and forget all words after concentrate.

The reason he never took touches in and around the box in the first half is that when we did break he was jogging!!! Matt this is 100% fact. He was as far back as 25 yards from goal when Gerry fired 2 gorgeous balls across goal, he never ran - 1 ball off Ross he just stopped. There was no need for him to drop deep, he got in the way of Ross twice.

Lets move away from trying to excuse his first half please - seriously now, its getting ridiculous. We have established he was very good in the second half and that he put in the work - that doesn't mean his awful first half didn't happen or it was because of other factors that were out of his control.

Can we please just establish that the difference between good rom and bad rom is ROM - no one else!

I'll leave it to Nevin.... never a truer word said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02glzwf

What is 100% fact is that he was far too deep or far too wide in the first half.

Who has tried to excuse his performance?! I was calling for him to be subbed I was so frustrated with his lack of participation - I'm just not putting the blame solely on him. There is no excusing going on here, I'm trying to explain why he was so poor, and that's the same argument I've maintained for the last year; we asked him to play a style he's really not comfortable with and we didn't get anywhere near the best of him. Second half, Koné creating space and the continued bombardment from Geri allowed him to stay central. We played to his strengths and he flourished. It's not that difficult to understand, is it?

The last bit is very true of Rom, and every other human on the planet :)

Let's hope he gets MOTM every time Gerry plays like that as it means it takes attention off a truly gifted player who may get signed back by Barca with performances like that.

Now he knows exactly what Gerry will do with those balls there is no excuse - hit the 6 yard box!!!

P,S another first half like tonight and I will scream. I assume that's what RM did. Someone must have done something at half time.

He didnt in the first half, then he obviously noticed this and did it to great effect.

Rom earned his money last night, and so did Roberto for shaking up the team at half time.

What is 100% fact is that he was far too deep or far too wide in the first half.

Who has tried to excuse his performance?! I was calling for him to be subbed I was so frustrated with his lack of participation - I'm just not putting the blame solely on him. There is no excusing going on here, I'm trying to explain why he was so poor, and that's the same argument I've maintained for the last year; we asked him to play a style he's really not comfortable with and we didn't get anywhere near the best of him. Second half, Koné creating space and the continued bombardment from Geri allowed him to stay central. We played to his strengths and he flourished. It's not that difficult to understand, is it?

The last bit is very true of Rom, and every other human on the planet :)

Was he asked to stay back when Gerry and Ross got forward? I don't think he was - at one stage there was Naismith, Gerry and Barkley 20 yards ahead of him and he was jogging.

Kone making space or not - there was 3 clear cut chances that he was not in the box for in the first half - I don't see how that is anything to do with our style. It was him being him. I have seen this 2 ways - him dropping deep and not joining attack - and him attacking and not getting back onside for the next phase of play - no excuses.

This is why I actually said I thought there was something wrong with him. - I wasn't joking. Someone on twitter commented on how much he was sweating vs what he was doing. I'll leave all that to the fitness coaches or whatever.

He didnt in the first half, then he obviously noticed this and did it to great effect.

Rom earned his money last night, and so did Roberto for shaking up the team at half time.

I identified this in Gerry on his loan spell so its worrying if the players only caught on the second half. On his loan Nais and Rom were always stood on penno spot and Gerry would fire them right across goal.

Didn't he get an OGGY from palace or someone like that doing the same?

Anyhow - no excuses - if he gets the ball hit the box.

Was he asked to stay back when Gerry and Ross got forward? I don't think he was - at one stage there was Naismith, Gerry and Barkley 20 yards ahead of him and he was jogging.

Kone making space or not - there was 3 clear cut chances that he was not in the box for in the first half - I don't see how that is anything to do with our style. It was him being him. I have seen this 2 ways - him dropping deep and not joining attack - and him attacking and not getting back onside for the next phase of play - no excuses.

This is why I actually said I thought there was something wrong with him. - I wasn't joking. Someone on twitter commented on how much he was sweating vs what he was doing. I'll leave all that to the fitness coaches or whatever.

Knowing Martinez, I wouldn't be surprised. If they were 20 yards behind, he would never have caught them anyway.

That did concern me. He looked knackered before half time and soaked through.

Anyway, made up with his performance second half. Match winner, again.

Knowing Martinez, I wouldn't be surprised. If they were 20 yards behind, he would never have caught them anyway.

That did concern me. He looked knackered before half time and soaked through.

Anyway, made up with his performance second half. Match winner, again.

second half he was tremendous - but it really concerns me how its one extreme or the other.

Yep the sweat was ridiculous - like Muhammed Ali in the the thriller in manilla.

It's funny isn't it that there hasn't been a single mention of Barkley's complete and utter laziness in the first half, but Rom is getting absolutely murdered for it. Barkley was just as bad.

I missed this. Barkley tried but when nothing came off he sulked. Even second half he was trying to do too much and then sulking. Disappointing performance for him, but think it was a general fuck up tactics wise.

It is funny how he hasn't been criticised at all though....

second half he was tremendous - but it really concerns me how its one extreme or the other.

Yep the sweat was ridiculous - like Muhammed Ali in the the thriller in manilla.

Consistency will come with age. He's only 22, remember

:P

I'd just like to say how happy I was that he celebrated both of his goals last night. Does my nut in when players don't celebrate just because it's against a club they've previously played for.

I nearly shat myself when he did his back flip... he's a big fucker - not much room for error there!