IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Shame you didn't see him yesterday, because his link up play, work rate, hold up play.... everything was exceptional and I'll beat the drum again and point out it was because he had people close to him and then doesn't need to think. Our poor 25 mins in the second half was partly down to him having no one around him and he couldn't get the ball under control.

I'll agree that he doesn't necessarily do all this as much as he should, but it was clear that if he has people close to him, he can do it. Isolated, hes poor.

He isolates himself and it's a fookin pain in the arse.

Link up play? Meaning he dropped when needed rather than on Wednesday just standing there as of he wasn't allowed to drop deep or move.

I don't want to take away a great performance but to say his bad performances are because he has players no where near him is mainly his fault.

Edited by Hafnia

I put all of my minor gripes with him aside tbh because he does what a striker should and that's more often then not he puts the ball away

If he kept up those kind of performances constantly as Matt said link up play movement etc then he would firmly be sat in that top tier bracket with the likes of Suarez and co

Long may it continue

He isolates himself and it's a fookin pain in the arse.

Link up play? Meaning he dropped when needed rather than on Wednesday just standing there as of he wasn't allowed to drop deep or move.

I don't want to take away a great performance but to say his bad performances are because he has players no where near him is mainly his fault.

no, meaning people got close to him.

Watch the game, then comment

Edit: that sounds bitchy, apologies. My point is the game shows my continued argument of him; support him and he flourished, isolate him and he doesn't perform to expectatiosn

Edited by Matt

1st half, he didn't drop deep, because there was no need - there were 3-4 people within 10 yards at all times. First time lay offs, fast passing, support. After the break he did is job, led the line, but no one was even on the screen when he received it. The the team pushed up, he got people around him again and boom.

The point is it was a week of 2 performances.

The point is he got stick for not doing enough on Wednesday, he has a good game on Saturday and then his praise is tempered with more criticism.

Why couldn't it have been seen as a positive reaction from him like he knew he hadn't done enough on Wednesday? Instead it's "yeah, but...".

The only thing I didn't like was after they came back into the game. Ross played a ball that was a yard away from his feet, ... he was flat footed and it rolled past his side.

He looked up at Ross and threw his hands up.

I did question his attitude at that moment as I would rather see him fighting to get the team settled again.

That was literally the only few seconds I could criticise in the whole match.

The other 89 he was outstanding!

Just watched the full game... really watched Rom.

Outstanding. If i had never seen the lad play before you would say £100m. That's not an exaggeration.

Did I think he could play like that? Yeah... that's what pisses me off about him. It was a perfect storm for him. He was up for it, the team were and he had a team who were intimidated by him.

Even if the other factors that he can't control aren't there- he should be an effective player every single game. His size, athleticism should mean he causes defences headaches every single game.

His 4th goal - typified what he should be doing every game. Just bounced the defenders.... he used measured aggression.

I'm going to get into the nitty gritty of what I seen on Saturday vs Wednesday. SPECIFIC EXAMPLES.

ISOLATION:- absolute bullshit to suggest it's other players that isolate him. He actually does isolate himself. I called out that he doesn't have intelligence of movement - that's incorrect. On Saturday he showed he does. Wednesday he was just not arsed. It was as if he was happy to let defenders get in front of him... just odd. Like he is hiding and I do not get it

Saturday he dropped into pockets to link play - wednesday he just stood on the shoulder of his man and moaned when the ball never got to him. When he dropped into pockets on Saturday he was devastating.... really really good. Shearer esquire forward play - lay offs and movement for the return. Something I've been screaming for from him.

BODYLANGUAGE:-

Look at him on Wednesday vs Saturday. On Wednesday he looked like his arms were pulling his huge shoulders into the floor. They were drooped. His legs looked like they had no life in them. No sprints just trots... sulky grid.

Saturday? Wow. Like he had taken a shot of adrenaline. Carried himself like a warrior. Shoulders back - chest out. On his toes- his eyes alert to anything. And it showed.

Not tiredness... just attitude. He picks the right attitude and he puts me in the biggest vault there is.

I honestly think he needs a sports shrink. Steve Peters for example. It's night and day the difference.

It's one game Haf, you can't de-cry or say it's proved your point based on one single goal crazy game.

I love the fact he rattled 4 in but I also appreciate it just as much if he scores a scrappy goal in a 1-0 win.

He's here to score goals end of.

Not at all pad. This was one week - 2 games in a row where we seen his polar opposites.

It's happened many times before.

I really enjoyed his 7/10 performance games he was having when the team were scoring and he wasn't. Showed a positive influence on games and the stoke game was like that bad version of himself we don't like to see.

Honestly... if he could replicate Saturday more often there wouldn't be a team who wouldn't want to sign him. Total performance.

Not at all pad. This was one week - 2 games in a row where we seen his polar opposites.

It's happened many times before.

I really enjoyed his 7/10 performance games he was having when the team were scoring and he wasn't. Showed a positive influence on games and the stoke game was like that bad version of himself we don't like to see.

Honestly... if he could replicate Saturday more often there wouldn't be a team who wouldn't want to sign him. Total performance.

All players have off days, Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Aguero, Sanchez... name any player you like.

They can play on a Wednesday and just not play well, or the whole team may not perform well or the opposition may play very well then on Saturday they can score 4 for the exact same reasons I've just said except change the words to very well and the oppositionplayed shite.

Haf, you can't dismiss his performance Saturday because he didn't score or play psrticularly well, if you do then you have to do that for every player.

Just watched the full game... really watched Rom.

Outstanding. If i had never seen the lad play before you would say £100m. That's not an exaggeration.

Did I think he could play like that? Yeah... that's what pisses me off about him. It was a perfect storm for him. He was up for it, the team were and he had a team who were intimidated by him.

Even if the other factors that he can't control aren't there- he should be an effective player every single game. His size, athleticism should mean he causes defences headaches every single game.

His 4th goal - typified what he should be doing every game. Just bounced the defenders.... he used measured aggression.

I'm going to get into the nitty gritty of what I seen on Saturday vs Wednesday. SPECIFIC EXAMPLES.

ISOLATION:- absolute bullshit to suggest it's other players that isolate him. He actually does isolate himself. I called out that he doesn't have intelligence of movement - that's incorrect. On Saturday he showed he does. Wednesday he was just not arsed. It was as if he was happy to let defenders get in front of him... just odd. Like he is hiding and I do not get it

Saturday he dropped into pockets to link play - wednesday he just stood on the shoulder of his man and moaned when the ball never got to him. When he dropped into pockets on Saturday he was devastating.... really really good. Shearer esquire forward play - lay offs and movement for the return. Something I've been screaming for from him.

BODYLANGUAGE:-

Look at him on Wednesday vs Saturday. On Wednesday he looked like his arms were pulling his huge shoulders into the floor. They were drooped. His legs looked like they had no life in them. No sprints just trots... sulky grid.

Saturday? Wow. Like he had taken a shot of adrenaline. Carried himself like a warrior. Shoulders back - chest out. On his toes- his eyes alert to anything. And it showed.

Not tiredness... just attitude. He picks the right attitude and he puts me in the biggest vault there is.

I honestly think he needs a sports shrink. Steve Peters for example. It's night and day the difference.

I agree with pretty much mostbut the bold. Saturday was a perfect example of what I've been banging on about for 2-3 years now.

I'm not claiming he makes perfect runs every time (though he's dramatically improved in that area - the number of offsides he gets called for now is significantly less) but it's clear as day that he suffers if there is no one near him, same as any player would.

You summed up our debate perfectly in 1 line; He was up for it, the team were. The latter for me has been what's held him back so much, but on Saturday everyone was fighting for every ball and if McCarthy can maintain that for, with Schneiderlin getting back into the rhythm of things, then Rom and Ross are going to get room and support by the bucket load.

Edited by Matt

from espnfc on Lukaku in the Team of the week:

It is a continuing source of confusion that so few people consider Romelu Lukaku to be one of the Premier League's best striking talents. Sure, he has had some bad spells, most notably the latter weeks of Roberto Martinez's reign at Everton, but how much more does he have to do to be recognised as something more than raw potential? His four-goal haul against Bournemouth brought his all-time league tally to 76, just eight fewer than that of Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo. And he's only 23.