IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I edited my response because the use of naismith is just shit. If lukaku had an ounce of naismiths attitude he would already be at the club he's been agitating for a move to for the past 4 years.

Pick Jo, beattie, or some clown like that but ffs naisy was a top lad.

Naismith was a team player worked his nuts off, unsung hero and shouldn't be ridiculed.

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

So my argument would be that another striker of more team focussed qualities would be of benefit to us..... so MJB turned naismith into the distorted exaggerated response.... when in actual fact this player didn't deserve that.

I have three points to make.

Rom has scored more goals against top six teams than most of his peers this season.

Rom is the leading scorer in the league and his goals have helped us massively.

I have seen this straw man shout a few times and still have no idea what it is.

Serious question..... we aren't top 6 so therefore Rom has had the opportunity to play more of those teams. Spurs are top 6 so kane can't have played his own team... same for zlatan, costa

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

So my argument would be that another striker of more team focussed qualities would be of benefit to us..... so MJB turned naismith into the distorted exaggerated response.... when in actual fact this player didn't deserve that.

I'm glad you can take a joke haf, they say laughter is the best medicine and I'm worried about you mate

Edited by markjazzbassist

Serious question..... we aren't top 6 so therefore Rom has had the opportunity to play more of those teams. Spurs are top 6 so kane can't have played his own team... same for zlatan, costa

The article had how many games they've all played so it's pretty fair. Ratio the goals to games and it's only Ibrahimovic doing better than him.

Lukaku 3 non-penalty goals in 9 starts

Ibrahimovic 2 in 5

Aguero 2 in 6

Costa 2 in 8

Defoe 1 in 9

Kane 0 in 7

The article had how many games they've all played so it's pretty fair. Ratio the goals to games and it's only Ibrahimovic doing better than him.

Lukaku 3 non-penalty goals in 9 starts

Ibrahimovic 2 in 5

Aguero 2 in 6

Costa 2 in 8

Defoe 1 in 9

Kane 0 in 7

A sample size that small is ridiculous and convenient. It brushes over the issue that we have seen over his 4 years here.

my complaint was that he doesn't apply himself in the games against the big teams. So often he goes missing - much to my annoyance.

Increase the sample size and comparison over the 4 years and you see the bigger picture.

A sample size that small is ridiculous and convenient. It brushes over the issue that we have seen over his 4 years here.

my complaint was that he doesn't apply himself in the games against the big teams. So often he goes missing - much to my annoyance.

Increase the sample size and comparison over the 4 years and you see the bigger picture.

No it's not, it's proving THIS SEASON he has been one of the best strikers in the league against the top teams. If it was worse the last 3 seasons it means he is improving!

It's that simple Haf. Although you will put a spin on it to suir your agenda. Why has Kane struggled so badly. Zero goals 2 less games.

Thus is one of those irritatingly shit posts... designed to get a reaction.... so there's my reaction.... it's an irritatingly shit straw man post.

1. It snidely suggests that naismith wasn't or isn't fit to rival lukaku. When the reality is this - naismith never ever laid down tools like lukaku did in the derby. All 5ft 10 and 11 st of him would have been at their defence for the full 90.

2. It suggests that if we lose lukaku we are somehow restricted to replacing him with a player we got for nothing.

That wasn't a straw man, he was using irony to wind you up and it worked a treat.

We simply must keep Lukaku now, losing him would be disastrous to our ambition to sign other prima donna types. Everyone loves him, the fans, the media if he goes we'll probably get relegated.

That wasn't a straw man, he was using irony to wind you up and it worked a treat.

We simply must keep Lukaku now, losing him would be disastrous to our ambition to sign other prima donna types. Everyone loves him, the fans, the media if he goes we'll probably get relegated.

thanks chach, i'm glad someone found some humor in it :rofl:

It was a straw man argument and It was delivered with a large dose of sarcasm/irony.... take your pick.

The thread forever gets shitty posts like that...

Edited by Hafnia

Kante will probably get the players one, and Alli the young players. That's what I'd be putting money on.

I agree that'll be the result for sure. However if Rom is good enough to be up for both awards (as is Kane) and Alli isn't, how can it justifiably be given to him?

How can he be a lesser player so not up for the main award but a better young player :huh:?

(Assuming that Alli wins it of course but I'm damn sure he will, odds are currently 1/8)