IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

On 22/09/2021 at 21:40, Matt said:

What a fucking day. Wife is flying back from the US finally after finally being able to go see her family, went to check in at the airport and was told that the 2nd leg didn't exist. Not cancelled, not rerouted. Didn't exist. After 2hrs on hold with Virigin, they sorted it all out and were brilliant. During that time I looked up the status of the flight - the route was cancelled 17 months ago... 

Do not book through JetAbroad. No phone number, no chat function. Granted they replied quickly to the email to tell us it would take them 2-3 days to arrange a change and we'd have to pay the additional costs. Or contact the airline (which I'd done in parallel anyway). 

Why is it so hard to get my wife into the UK?! :crying:

Your experience makes Shamima Begum's look like plain sailing!

First time posting in this thread. Probably because I've done a lot of work over the last 5-6 years on letting things not grind my gears as often as they were. Much happier person now!

One thing that's frustrating me right now is that, as we start to transition into post-pandemic life, I (as well as many others) were hopeful that society was figuring out that we don't need to be busting our asses all the time in the name of capitalism. One thing the pandemic taught us was how to take time, hit the pause button, realize what's important.

I was hoping we would come out of the pandemic and we would start to see a societal shift in the work/life balance. Unfortunately, at least in my life and those closest to me, it's the exact opposite. Maybe it's different here than overseas, seeing as the amount of PTO we get here is a tiny fraction of what you all get over there, if we get any at all.

Curious to hear what other's experiences have been as we emerge from the last year and a half, in terms of finding a work/life balance and maybe shifting the percentages towards life a bit more.

24 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Curious to hear what other's experiences have been as we emerge from the last year and a half, in terms of finding a work/life balance and maybe shifting the percentages towards life a bit more.

Probably a bit of a unique perspective personally having lost a wife and my voice to cancer in that time; but, my holiday has really re-energised me. Was really suffering from social phobia before but have already met up with one friend since I got home and seeing two more next week, feel like a different person. I'm not considered capable of work as it stands so that's not an issue, and I have possibly more medical stuff happening which I'll talk about if/when I know more but life is all.

I'd actually love to get work of some sort at some stage, preferably dealing with people because thet's what I love to do, but not being able to talk is a pretty big barrier. Try it for a day, or even an hour; been me for more than a year. I'm not complaining because if I wasn't like I am I'd be dead, but it's frustrating at times.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I've always been someone that works to live as opposed to living to work. We're only here once, time is not guaranteed so I'm not spending my life working 16 hours a day to ensure that Jeff Bezos can go jet-skiing when he feels like. Of course there is the element of going to extra mile for your job, but that comes from personal pride as opposed to being a slave to the system.

In that sense, Covid didn't really change me but it was a massive clusterfuck regardless. I can remember going shopping on my own and nearly having a meltdown because I was around people again (I didn't leave the house for the first three months of lockdown) and as a result my social skills took a bit of a hit, glad to say that as we're now "back to normal" I too feel pretty much as a I did pre-pandemic. 

I do feel like society is waking up though, more calls for working from home and a four day week. People are realising that the "norm" and dying of stress due to a ridiculous workload is absolutely stupid.

Had about 6-8 week lockdown some 18 months ago when as a company we didn’t have any clients but one who kept there sites open, so I enjoyed the peacefulness of the phone not continuously ringing emails not needed to be written or answered, the weather was good and I thought if this is what retirement means then I want it. That is now a distant memory we are flat out and busier than before Covid started. Covid has taught me a couple of things how corporate business and governments pay lip service by saying one thing but doing another, and that I am prisoner of my success by getting in to deep financially you struggle to get out on your own terms. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

'king energy prices, my fixed rate runs out in Jan and the cheapest deal I can find is going to cost £105 pm, currently pay £60:mad:. It's not the end of the world for me because I can afford it but it's going to be a nightmare for a lot of people.

It's scary. First time running a house in the UK on a good wage and it's battering us. Thankfully C has just got her first job but of course there's an issue with that... even though we had to pay £1250 with her visa application towards national insurance,  and rightly so. But that didn't mean she got a national insurance number when her visa came through so she can't be paid. 16 week wait time apparently... 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

nice - I got a fender acoustic guitar for Christmas, I cant play a note but my eldest is starting to learn so I will try my best!

Cool, give it a go, if you want some pointers have a look here; very good (imo) free online lessons from ground level up. The guy taught himself to play left handed so he could remember what being a beginner was like.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons

I'm up to fourteen guitars in total now, this was my Christmas present to myself:D

P1050087.thumb.jpg.977fb66e67a5fc79e120ed507829f9b5.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Cool, give it a go, if you want some pointers have a look here; very good (imo) free online lessons from ground level up. The guy taught himself to play left handed so he could remember what being a beginner was like.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons

I'm up to fourteen guitars in total now, this was my Christmas present to myself:D

P1050087.thumb.jpg.977fb66e67a5fc79e120ed507829f9b5.jpg

Why an octopus can only play four at a time😉  I’ve got one acoustic been playing or should I say learning a couple of Oasis songs not as hard as Bowie’s early seventies stuff he use’s some many bar chords and my index finger isn’t really the right length or shape. 

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Why an octopus can only play four at a time😉  I’ve got one acoustic been playing or should I say learning a couple of Oasis songs not as hard as Bowie’s early seventies stuff he use’s some many bar chords and my index finger isn’t really the right length or shape. 

Just tune to D and then bar chords are much easier if you're having trouble with dexterity 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just tune to D and then bar chords are much easier if you're having trouble with dexterity 

Or buy an electric, much more forgiving; or possibly the action is a bit high on your acoustic. Many guitars (even expensive ones) need some work to set up, certainly at the cheaper end of the market you're unlikely to get one easily playable out of the box.

I'm still getting pop-up ads for the Hartwood at £199 today, so I've taken a screen-shot and sent it to the company asking if they'll honour it🤞

36 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Or buy an electric, much more forgiving; or possibly the action is a bit high on your acoustic. Many guitars (even expensive ones) need some work to set up, certainly at the cheaper end of the market you're unlikely to get one easily playable out of the box.

I'm still getting pop-up ads for the Hartwood at £199 today, so I've taken a screen-shot and sent it to the company asking if they'll honour it🤞

If there still advertising it aren’t they duty bound to honour it, it’s a lovely looking guitar Mike it will look great hanging on the wall that’s for sure. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

If there still advertising it aren’t they duty bound to honour it, it’s a lovely looking guitar Mike it will look great hanging on the wall that’s for sure. 

I hope so, though I think the fact that it's "third party advertising" may mean not. Still popping up at £199 though, but when you click through it's £249, I get a couple of quid off as a "gold VIP" customer hence £247 to me (wow:rolleyes:). Hoping the fact that I'm a serial customer might work in my favour. Dated evidence...

Screenshot (114).png

On 04/01/2022 at 16:33, Palfy said:

Nope, they're not having it but I gave them a bollocking about false advertising and how it didn't reflect well on the company, won't do me any good but got it off my chest:D.

Strangely today the same guitar in a different colour (Burnt Orange) is listed at £199, but I'm not so keen...

preview.jpg

Hoping this means their website is jumping between colours to discount during their sale and the green will drop again in the next few days🤞

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Nope, they're not having it but I gave them a bollocking about false advertising and how it didn't reflect well on the company, won't do me any good but got it off my chest:D.

Strangely today the same guitar in a different colour (Burnt Orange) is listed at £199, but I'm not so keen...

preview.jpg

Hoping this means their website is jumping between colours to discount during their sale and the green will drop again in the next few days🤞

Still a nice looking piece of kit but I’m with you Mike the green looks better, I’m guessing you are going to give into your heart and spend the extra £48.00 in the not so distant future😍

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Still a nice looking piece of kit but I’m with you Mike the green looks better, I’m guessing you are going to give into your heart and spend the extra £48.00 in the not so distant future😍

I'm going to give it a few days to see if the price drops again, but as an alternative they have a "nearly new" green one for £212, nearly new being defined as...

"This product may have been opened for quality control purposes, returned by a customer, refurbished, or may have non-essential parts or software missing. Otherwise, the product operates as new. This is a great opportunity to buy a fully functioning product at a discounted price."

I've never bought a guitar on those terms myself but I've read that you can get some good deals, eg if someone has returned one with an issue the issue will be addressed before resale; also if it's just been opened as a QC check then, again, any ex-factory niggles may well have been sorted. Food for thought, and if I buy it and it's a lemon (unlikely) still have thirty days money back guarantee. 

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm going to give it a few days to see if the price drops again, but as an alternative they have a "nearly new" green one for £212, nearly new being defined as...

"This product may have been opened for quality control purposes, returned by a customer, refurbished, or may have non-essential parts or software missing. Otherwise, the product operates as new. This is a great opportunity to buy a fully functioning product at a discounted price."

I've never bought a guitar on those terms myself but I've read that you can get some good deals, eg if someone has returned one with an issue the issue will be addressed before resale; also if it's just been opened as a QC check then, again, any ex-factory niggles may well have been sorted. Food for thought, and if I buy it and it's a lemon (unlikely) still have thirty days money back guarantee. 

If all your rights to return are intact then it’s got to be worth a shot, what’s the worst thing that will happen you might have the hassle of getting returned. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

False advertising is illegal, but that aside I wouldn't give them any more of my business

It is for sure, but as I said before it was third party stuff so (after research) I have no case, they could've been morally better but they had no obligation; possibly if I'd have been able to get in touch with someone senior in the company I'd have had more joy but I had a "jobsworth".

Under normal circumstance I'd agree and not give them any more business but as far as I can tell they have an exclusive deal with Hartwood, so if I want the thing it's them or nobody. And I want it.

On 05/01/2022 at 20:56, MikeO said:

It is for sure, but as I said before it was third party stuff so (after research) I have no case, they could've been morally better but they had no obligation; possibly if I'd have been able to get in touch with someone senior in the company I'd have had more joy but I had a "jobsworth".

Under normal circumstance I'd agree and not give them any more business but as far as I can tell they have an exclusive deal with Hartwood, so if I want the thing it's them or nobody. And I want it.

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/206584/fender-player-series-stratocaster-mn-electric-guitar-black

thats a nice deal.....

10 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Strat is the one notably absent shape from my collection, though that may change on Saturday, have my eye on one on Ebay. It's actually a Squier Affinity so not a real Fender but it's looking like a good deal at the mo, comes with a decent little amp (Vox VX15-GT) as well.

Added bonus is it's collection only, and it's all of a two mile drive from me:D 

On 12/01/2022 at 13:47, MikeO said:

Strat is the one notably absent shape from my collection, though that may change on Saturday, have my eye on one on Ebay. It's actually a Squier Affinity so not a real Fender but it's looking like a good deal at the mo, comes with a decent little amp (Vox VX15-GT) as well.

Added bonus is it's collection only, and it's all of a two mile drive from me:D 

Outbid sadly but never mind, set myself a £200 limit and stuck to it.

In other news I went to Tesco just now armed with my "bag for life" but then, off with the fairies, forgot I'd brought it with me and scanned it:crying:. 20p I'll never get back...any normal person would just call someone over and explain the error but for me it'd far too much faffing about, so I took the hit:cryingsmiley:

• 2 months later...

People asking me, "Are you learning sign language?". It happens all the time.

Sign language is for deaf people, not those unable to speak; for sign language to be useful for me I'd need not just to know it myself, everybody else I interract with would need to be fluent as well. That's going to happen:rolleyes:.

People mean well but don't think stuff through.