IGNORED

Jonny Evans

I'm willing to go with Galloway and Browning for the first half of the season. It's a bit of a risk, but not a big one. If it works out, we have an excellent core of young defenders. In an emergency, Barry can always play there. If we find ourselves struggling, buy a player in the January window.

It's OK to take calculated risks sometimes. Fans get upset if we're unlucky - injuries, etc. - but we'd be laughing if it works out.

I'm willing to go with Galloway and Browning for the first half of the season. It's a bit of a risk, but not a big one. If it works out, we have an excellent core of young defenders. In an emergency, Barry can always play there. If we find ourselves struggling, buy a player in the January window.

It's OK to take calculated risks sometimes. Fans get upset if we're unlucky - injuries, etc. - but we'd be laughing if it works out.

God no. That's not what a club that's going to challenge for Europe would do. They'd get eaten alive by Aguero and the likes. Think both of them need loan spells of playing week in week out before I'd ever want to rely on them as our first backup CB in.

agreed. Any and all money now should be going on that creative #10. CB back up is important, no doubt, but it's not essential this window.

And we have Besic, who by all accounts is actually a decent CB.

I'm not confident that any of the above could or should be tested in a "you have to play" format. By all means introduce them when we are winning comfortably or in a low level cup game and take it from there.

agreed. Any and all money now should be going on that creative #10. CB back up is important, no doubt, but it's not essential this window.

No. Stop the madness.

Let's just re-sign Toto Nsiala because he probably wasn't given a fair shake!

I like you all, but to say we don't need to bring in at least one centerback with first team experience is madness! Barry wouldn't be terrible as long as the ball stays in front of him, but if he gets beat, then its a 1 v 1 with the keeper or the other centerback having to make a last ditch tackle! Too slow.

I love Mo Besic, but he's too reckless and probably not good enough in the air to be a centerback.

We need to bring in cover.

No. Stop the madness.

Let's just re-sign Toto Nsiala because he probably wasn't given a fair shake!

I like you all, but to say we don't need to bring in at least one centerback with first team experience is madness! Barry wouldn't be terrible as long as the ball stays in front of him, but if he gets beat, then its a 1 v 1 with the keeper or the other centerback having to make a last ditch tackle! Too slow.

I love Mo Besic, but he's too reckless and probably not good enough in the air to be a centerback.

We need to bring in cover.

we do. It's just not priority number 1. We've got theoretical CB cover. We don't have a single AMC.

I've no clue whether we'll sign Evans, nor at what fee. But actually neither did I have any clue yesterday, as the articles started appearing, filled as they were with suspicious near-fact and fact-like phrases such as "close to sealing," "on the verge of," "it is understood that," "expected to be completed," and "coming days."

Some rumoured deals do of course become completed deals. Some are so silly as to be scotched immediately. Yet others, like the Evans story, seem logical enough, given a club's needs, likely player availability, plus a sort of default, pre-disgruntled assumption that we'll overpay. (This isn't unique to a Toffee's genetic makeup, is it?). I'm still trying to learn, however, to be wary of those near-fact and fact-like phrases, as rumoured deals exist on a spectrum from "lunatic fabrication" to "done deal." And even a "done deal" isn't, necessarily.

What number will Jonny be assigned?

DK? Is that you?

we do. It's just not priority number 1. We've got theoretical CB cover. We don't have a single AMC.

I agree, i would much rather us loan a CB for this year as i really think between Browning, Galloway, Barry and maybe Besic we have it covered, touch would we are hoping that neither Stones or Jags gets a serious injury though.

• 4 weeks later...

No problem with him, if we get him at a decent price anyway. He's minimal risk, which we need. We know he won't be another Kroldrup, more likely to be like Weir in my opinion. To come in as back up, but pushing for a starting place should form allow, I'll be happy. If he does play, he has more of a voice than Jags.

No problem with him, if we get him at a decent price anyway. He's minimal risk, which we need. We know he won't be another Kroldrup, more likely to be like Weir in my opinion. To come in as back up, but pushing for a starting place should form allow, I'll be happy. If he does play, he has more of a voice than Jags.

This for me.

Guest rusty747

The more I think about this, the more I am ok with it at the right price. He adds experience and gives us 3 quality cbs with premier experience while we wait for Browning and Galloway (edit, plus Holgate now) to develop further.

We must keep Stones.

Edited by rusty747

I don't think he is injured and he is absent from Man U squad for their Champs league game. Conspiracy theorists, make of it what you will.

I think that's more due to LVG not rating him any more, not necessarily because he's been sold. Can't see him staying beyond this or the next transfer window though.

Edited by Vranny

If I had a crystal ball and could see Stones and Jags staying fit all season then I wouldn't want him, he isnt going to improve us and will stand in the way of Galloway, Browning, Holgate getting game time. However if Stones or Jags got a bad one then we would need him but £8mill seems a bit strong for a player out of contract next year and evidently not in the plans of LVG.

Would we be prepared to only have 2 established CB's once the window closes? If we could sort something similar to the Barry deal then it could work but would the player want to leave Man Utd to sit on our bench? Perhaps he should join the graveyard of old Utd CB's at Sunderland

Guest rusty747

Could it be that RM is blooding Galloway into the first team at left back with a view to getting him the experience to be our first choice cover at cb?

Could it be that RM is blooding Galloway into the first team at left back with a view to getting him the experience to be our first choice cover at cb?

potentially yes but still think Evans would be a good deal if we got him to add experience and guide the youngsters