IGNORED

Ross Barkley

He is just trying a little bit too hard at the moment. I like that because you can see he is determined to do everything he can to win the game but sometimes that is just to pass it to someone in a better position than he is.

I thought that with a few on Monday actually. I remember Baines turning into trouble when a pass was on late in the game, Pienaar flicking it away with players either side of him and someone else doing a similar thing.

Its the same old case though Bailey - in the eyes of many Mirallas can do no wrong because he scores the odd blockbuster. The reality is that he puts our defence under alot of pressure when he loses it and is not the best at getting back.

I understand the need to try something in order to make breakthroughs but the same level of tolerance is not given to other players. Mirallas does seem to have an ego that is way out there.

The first indication of this was when he opposed the inclusion of Januzaj in the WC squad.

Ive said it before but how can people complain that we lack creativity in one breath then moan about a player not playing it safe in the next one?

It's the fact that Mirallas is rated so highly. I think it's more of a favouritism thing with those people.

Edited by MC11

Lmao, every thread you have Mirallas bashed. Is he the new Rom?

Its called adding balance. People get carried away with hype to a flair player unfairly and others over criticising less spectacular.

Mirallas is a very talented player, a matchwinner - lets not brush over that. On his day along with Barkley and Eto he is the best at breaking teams down.

What we also need to identify is that he very often makes poor decisions and these are often because he wants to do the flashy stuff. On the balance of which makes him a frustrating player. Its ok for him to do that with others, but its not ok for McGeady to get tackled?

its all very much pointing to player favourites and some players are imune and some players more prone to criticism.

Its the same old case though Bailey - in the eyes of many Mirallas can do no wrong because he scores the odd blockbuster. The reality is that he puts our defence under alot of pressure when he loses it and is not the best at getting back.

I understand the need to try something in order to make breakthroughs but the same level of tolerance is not given to other players. Mirallas does seem to have an ego that is way out there.

The first indication of this was when he opposed the inclusion of Januzaj in the WC squad.

I dont really mind him trying something and it not coming off, for me its when he chooses to go himself when others are in better positions. Like Dunc said later, players need to take chances and I like the fact Mirallas is direct but when you look back to the QPR game he probably had half a dozen chances to lay if off to someone in a better goal scoring position but chose to take them on when it wasnt necessary, and a lot of the time he was running sideways or back to our goal.

Ego wise I dont care. Its about time we had a few players that know they are good and want to show it.

Ive said it before but how can people complain that we lack creativity in one breath then moan about a player not playing it safe in the next one?

Like I mentioned above, its not about playing safe, its playing the better options when he wasnt going anywhere in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

Or maybe I was right in the first place when everyone else was up the lads arse cause he's local and gives us press exposure. He is far from class. His inability to keep up with the pace, pass at the right time, shoot at the right time...and don't get started on tackling. But I guarantee everyone will now start to say the same as me, as with fellaini. I feel sorry for some of you how long it takes for the apple to drop.

Or maybe I was right in the first place when everyone else was up the lads arse cause he's local and gives us press exposure. He is far from class. His inability to keep up with the pace, pass at the right time, shoot at the right time...and don't get started on tackling. But I guarantee everyone will now start to say the same as me, as with fellaini. I feel sorry for some of you how long it takes for the apple to drop.

There really is no apple to drop Brett. Slate him one minute and he can make you look a fool the next, praise him one minute and he can look like a league 1 footballer.

The same as with Lukaku - his issue is between the ears, but Barkley has all the tools he needs.

At the moment he's not performing - clear to see. Does that mean he's always gonna be useless? Of course not.

The most sensible thing to do with Barkley is to not nail the colours to the mast. At the same age gerrard was having to be mentored by Gary Mccallister, he was also suffering from stpp start career due to injuries.

The penny will drop with Barkley, when he has his good games its because everything comes off, when he doesn't its because of his immaturity - not lack of quality.

Yeah, I would love to see him smash into tackles more but in all seriousness the lad had a career ending leg break and has had several othe rinjuries since then.

There really is no apple to drop Brett. Slate him one minute and he can make you look a fool the next, praise him one minute and he can look like a league 1 footballer.

The same as with Lukaku - his issue is between the ears, but Barkley has all the tools he needs.

At the moment he's not performing - clear to see. Does that mean he's always gonna be useless? Of course not.

The most sensible thing to do with Barkley is to not nail the colours to the mast. At the same age gerrard was having to be mentored by Gary Mccallister, he was also suffering from stpp start career due to injuries.

The penny will drop with Barkley, when he has his good games its because everything comes off, when he doesn't its because of his immaturity - not lack of quality.

Yeah, I would love to see him smash into tackles more but in all seriousness the lad had a career ending leg break and has had several othe rinjuries since then.

:shaking fist: That's twice this week I have agreed with you, have you made a belated New Years resolution to start talking sense or something?

Harsh Brett, you're talking about him like he's hopeless and that's far from the truth.

Off course we get excited by a prospect like Ross it's only to be expected, and I do agree with you his form at the moment is poor... But he is still a very exciting prospect who changes games and does things not many other footballers can do.

I think he will be a special player in over the next 10 years or so.

:shaking fist: That's twice this week I have agreed with you, have you made a belated New Years resolution to start talking sense or something?

I think you must have started eating fish, keeping hydrated getting plenty of sleep or something Dunc! Brainpower!!!!

Edited by Hafnia

That's why I judge people on an overview and not match by match like most in this forum.

The lad has incredible feet but without desire, tanacity and vision he'll become a nobody. I remember hearing the same about a guy called rodwell a while back. Said he was mediocre back then, but again, caught the wrath of the majority only to be proved right AGAIN!!!! Where is playing now?

That's why I judge people on an overview and not match by match like most in this forum.

The lad has incredible feet but without desire, tanacity and vision he'll become a nobody. I remember hearing the same about a guy called rodwell a while back. Said he was mediocre back then, but again, caught the wrath of the majority only to be proved right AGAIN!!!! Where is playing now?

With Rodwell the saying was "More Kirkdale, Less Birkdale" - people were waiting for him to be a bit more snappy and nasty. For me I think he had his "flair" managed out of him, i'm not going down that path again but in short yes it was,

I know a coach for Crewe who watched him as a13 year old and he said he was head and shoulders the best footballer he had seen. Two excellent feet, great passing with a great shot.

Injuries and missed development cost him.

Barkley doesn't need to be tenacious. He's an attacking midfielder, it would help him be an all round midfielder. For me he just needs to work on his mental side, positional sense, decision making, not to try and do the spectacular all the time. The QPR game should be his teplate and yes maertinez needs to play him central.

Barkley would perform better as a central midfielder that was evident from the Goodison Derby last season and QPR this season. He's just a lot better with more space in front of him.

I see him as someone who can perform further forward if asked. But he'll develop better if he's played deeper because he'll be more involved In play. Playing him out wide is a joke and something Moyes took flack for.

Barkley would perform better as a central midfielder that was evident from the Goodison Derby last season and QPR this season. He's just a lot better with more space in front of him.

I see him as someone who can perform further forward if asked. But he'll develop better if he's played deeper because he'll be more involved In play. Playing him out wide is a joke and something Moyes took flack for.

Steven gerrard can play defensive midfield, central midfield, attacking midfield... That's why he is renowned as a world class player. Barkley is way off. What I'm saying is, if he is any good it doesn't matter where he plays in a midfield role, he should be able to adjust.

Steven gerrard can play defensive midfield, central midfield, attacking midfield... That's why he is renowned as a world class player. Barkley is way off. What I'm saying is, if he is any good it doesn't matter where he plays in a midfield role, he should be able to adjust.

Which I believe he can.

He's never going to be a Gerrard. Only because he can't tackle like him. Just in front of DM and he'll ace it. He needs to evolve in a central midfield role. Not AM

I've agreed with you all along tinkerbell. In fact I called it first I think.

did he play those roles at 21 though??? At Barkleys age he was playing some games as a right back as he weasn't always first choice and the managers were ensuring his injury issues didn't flare up.

Barkley is not way off at all thats daft.

How can a player who can boss the midfield in a derby at 20 be way off???

He is a 8 months younger than Lukaku who I am constantly reminded is only 21 and must be given time - but Lukaku has played 170 first team games already in his career - he played 73 first team games by the time he was 18.

Barkley has only played 78 in total...... At 18 Lukaku had played 5 less games first team club games than Barkley has in his career to date.

So its ok to give Lukaku time.... But Barkley not?

did he play those roles at 21 though??? At Barkleys age he was playing some games as a right back as he weasn't always first choice and the managers were ensuring his injury issues didn't flare up.

Barkley is not way off at all thats daft.

How can a player who can boss the midfield in a derby at 20 be way off???

He is a 8 months younger than Lukaku who I am constantly reminded is only 21 and must be given time - but Lukaku has played 170 first team games already in his career - he played 73 first team games by the time he was 18.

Barkley has only played 78 in total...... At 18 Lukaku had played 5 less games first team club games than Barkley has in his career to date.

So its ok to give Lukaku time.... But Barkley not?

I've never said lukaku a chance and not Barkley. Please stop mentioning lukaku in every reply though. At some games he was right back....says it all. Being versatile is key. He hasn't got it.

I've never said lukaku a chance and not Barkley. Please stop mentioning lukaku in every reply though. At some games he was right back....says it all. Being versatile is key. He hasn't got it.

I never said you did say give Lukaku time - but people do say that.

It can be said that Barkley has played DM, AM, Left side and Right side. Was Gerrard effective at Right back? No, not when you look at what he is good at, he did a job.

Basically it realy isn't worth gettin the crystal ball out over Ross. No one knows for sure how he is going to be. Nobody.

As I have said before, players can have bad games, I can accept that. Lack of effort I can not. He has at times shown lack of effort and it displeases me!

I never said you did say give Lukaku time - but people do say that.

It can be said that Barkley has played DM, AM, Left side and Right side. Was Gerrard effective at Right back? No, not when you look at what he is good at, he did a job.

Basically it realy isn't worth gettin the crystal ball out over Ross. No one knows for sure how he is going to be. Nobody.

As I have said before, players can have bad games, I can accept that. Lack of effort I can not. He has at times shown lack of effort and it displeases me!

He's always suffered with lack of vision and knowing when to realease a pass. Can you accept that?

You quite liked him a few months back :huh:. From earlier in this thread...

Naismith could play until he's dead and would never score the Barkley goal against Newcastle and against man city. Barkley on the other hand could score all of Naismiths goals.

He's a game changer end of.

Everyone can see he's not performing to the best of his ability for whatever reason at the moment; but don't make out like you're the guy who knew it all along.