IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I'd drop him for the season now, take the pressure away from him and let him get out of the spotlight. He needs a break because, most importantly, he is a long term player for us who we need to develop. Hanging him out to dry on the pitch is just bad management.

Extreme

Edited by MC11

Extreme

Maybe, but he's not adding anything at the moment, or indeed for the last 3 months, he's getting frustrated and is frustrating.... The lad needs a break and since the season is a write-off anyway, I don't see the need to add to the pressure.

I would still play him, he needs confidence and it's a thin line between if he will get it on the pitch or out of the limelight.

Because he is a fan too I would play him. Coming through this situation and scoring the winner against a tough team will be the best training he will ever receive.

BUT...the manager needs to play him on a free role and let him go where he wants to, let him look for the ball.

I'd drop him for the season now, take the pressure away from him and let him get out of the spotlight. He needs a break because, most importantly, he is a long term player for us who we need to develop. Hanging him out to dry on the pitch is just bad management.

I'd drop him till if and when we are safe. Too much pressure on us at the moment at he isn't rising to it.

Maybe, but he's not adding anything at the moment, or indeed for the last 3 months, he's getting frustrated and is frustrating.... The lad needs a break and since the season is a write-off anyway, I don't see the need to add to the pressure.

To be honest I look round this side and see a lot of shit at the moment. No really good players. Certainly nobody performing. It all looks a complete mess.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd let him go to that if I'm honest. A few games away, out of the spotlight somewhat but more competitive than the preseason friendlies. He can rest and get some confidence back too.

If i'm honest I would send him to do some intensive work with a sports psychologist. His ability is there - there is nothing he can't do with a football. Its his mentality.

If i'm honest I would send him to do some intensive work with a sports psychologist. His ability is there - there is nothing he can't do with a football. Its his mentality.

Theres no reason he can't do both. He needs the game time, but agree that any time helping him sort his head out is also a must.

I wouldn't let him go, he'll come back with a cruciate or something. Never want our players playing in any other game except for us.

Bad idea and a step down for him. Wont do his confidence any good in my humble opinion.

If his issue has been over confidence, a humbling would be a good thing.

If his issue has been over confidence, a humbling would be a good thing.

If his issue was over confidence I would agree. I think the boy looks terrified. He quite clearly has the expectations of the entire stadium on his shoulders .

Slapping him down to the U21s wont do him any good either.

As snods was saying on the broadcast. He was obviously told by RM to do the tippy tally sideways passes and not run at the ball with his feet. Snods said "if I'm a player I do what I do best, when I hit the pitch I run with it at my feet making driving runs and making plays, if the manager had an issue with me in the dressing room so be it, but youve got to do what's best to win the game"

Couldn't agree more. The driving runs have dried up to be replaced by 5 yard sideways passes. Until the 2 sitters are removed or we play him as a 10 with 2 proper wingers he will never get that chance.

If his issue was over confidence I would agree. I think the boy looks terrified. He quite clearly has the expectations of the entire stadium on his shoulders .

Slapping him down to the U21s wont do him any good either.

Now he does, I mean more earlier in the season where he'd try something stupid, mess up and not track back.

He definitely isn't fit. At one point yesterday you could see he was running as fast as he could and it was like he had lead boots on; he went nowhere.

I think he's carrying 4-5 kg too much. He needs to leave the weights alone, he's a big lad, his legs look too chunky.