IGNORED

England

I watched about 20 minutes of the game. For me, I saw little difference between the England of this game and the England of prior games: the same strengths and weaknesses. The difference this time around was that their opponents were a little above average instead of below average. I'm sure the youngsters will have learned a lot, which will stand them in good stead in the coming years, but let's not pretend this is a great English team because it's not. They are a work in progress.

Having said that, I'm sorry so many feel dejected.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I'm gutted more for myself for obvious reasons but I've discussed it with my mates and we've decided to cut our losses and stay home, I don't think I could go out there and enjoy a third place play off game the atmosphere would be sombre.

Anyway I'm proud of what the team have done they've exceeded expectation and given us a good tournament and a lot of joy along the way, even though today didn't go our way we had our opportunities in the 1st half and should have been out of sight, but again as usual we lack the clinical finishing you need to win these games.

We didn't look outclassed and were always in the game, proud to be an English supporter and this is a young team that will hopefully get better and win the Euro's in two years time.

Crazy that! I'd still be off. Not often you'll get that opportunity.

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I watched about 20 minutes of the game. For me, I saw little difference between the England of this game and the England of prior games: the same strengths and weaknesses. The difference this time around was that their opponents were a little above average instead of below average. I'm sure the youngsters will have learned a lot, which will stand them in good stead in the coming years, but let's not pretend this is a great English team because it's not. They are a work in progress.

Having said that, I'm sorry so many feel dejected.

True enough.

This team was put together for the future. Not many expected them to do much, it was always about the next tournament.

But, no one can blame a patriotic nation for getting behind them more and more as they progressed.

I'm sure plenty in Cornwall were cheering them on too 😉

12 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

True enough.

This team was put together for the future. Not many expected them to do much, it was always about the next tournament.

But, no one can blame a patriotic nation for getting behind them more and more as they progressed.

What about the "scousenotenglish" shite coming from some Liverpool fans..... absolutely fooking pathetic.  

9 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Rashford gave the team more impetus when he came on than linegard and sterling did in 90. He got in behind, streched the back four and created problems. Granted he wasn’t perfect but to say he belongs in the 21s is a joke 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Rashford gave the square root of fuck all. Sterling fucked up the final ball time after time but at least he was getting in the positions to mess up, Rashford didn’t even get that far. 

Every game I watch him play I understand even more just why Mourinho doesn’t trust him to play more regularly, why he’s reluctant to start him. The lad is nowhere near ready for the top. 

Im with Romey here, Rashford did f*** all bar win a corner. 

It still baffles me that people dont realise that when Sterling goes off we lose all creativity. Every time a Vardy or Rashford comes on for him or starts we create naff all, this is the same for the friendlies too. 

I'm not sure what Rashford's true position is at this level. I dont think he can lead the line, he hasnt realy shone as the creative second striker and he isnt a winger either. 

A major plus we can take from this world cup run is the kids that it will inspire to become the next Pickford / Maguire / Trippier etc.

It was fun whilst it lasted, shame we couldn't get the final. France would have smashed us tbh.

Anyone going to bother with the most pointless match in football? The third place play off?

We've over achieved in this tournament, we were expected to bomb out early as ever. Not played fantastic but they seem to developed a true team spirit, we now need to carry on and find a bit more creativity in midfield. We didn't freeze, but did seem over awed with the thought of making the final, I didn't see anything special from Alli, Sterling frightened the life out of their defence, a big error in taking him off for Rashford, Vardy would at least run at them with threat.

Ahh well onwards and upwards lads.

I think we were lucky to have a relatively easy passage through to the semi's.   Our main problem is that we struggle to score from open play (the Panama game doesn't count as they were like a Conference side).  We don't create many chances and those that we do, we miss.  Our midfield with Alli and Lingard playing together, is too lightweight. We need a stronger, faster midfielder to replace Alli.  After dominating most of the first-half we reverted to our usual poor second-half  performance.  Whenever the ball went forward we lost possession almost immediately.  Kane had a poor game but in some ways I felt sorry for him.  When the ball went forward there were never more than two England players available. Kane was permanently isolated. There was one occasion when Lingard got away down the right and crossed and there was no one in, or anywhere near, the penalty area.

My man markings.

Pickford (8)  Trippier (9) Walker (6) Stones (7) Maguire (8) Young (6)  Henderson (7) Alli (4) Lingard (5) Sterling (7) Kane (4)

The only consolation is that we have avoided the embarrassment of being hammered by France. Their midfield would have run ours ragged.

The side will only get better we have some good up and coming players that could well make the Euro 2020 side

The likes of Trent Arnold  Loftus-Cheek coming into their own in the next two years with the likes of Foden Lookman Willock Nelson Sessegnon to name but a few very good young players coming through the future looks far brighter than it has for years 

4 hours ago, Newty82 said:

True enough.

What Southgate’s achieved since England lost to Iceland in the Euros has been very impressive. Again, this is a work in progress, and time is on England’s side. 

Can't pretend that I'm not gutted but there are so many positives to take from this summer. We have gone from humiliation at the hands of Iceland to being 90 minutes away from a World Cup final, all with players with a handful of caps and little experience on the biggest stage - things can only get better with Southgate steering the ship. 

I'm just frustrated at how we ended the game yesterday, totally dominant in the first 45 minutes and so sub-par the next. A few people are jumping on Harry Kane's back but he had as much service as them kids in Thailand on their mobile phones.

Pickford stood out all tournament and I just hope we keep him happy so that we can enjoy him for seasons to come. You wouldn't bet against United knocking if De Gea jumps to Madrid or Chelsea knocking if Courtois does the same. 

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

The game was crying out for Loftus-Cheek  

I agree, I was texting that to a buddy from about the 70 min mark on. I thought he would be the 3rd/4th sub, could come in and be lively, especially with Dele struggling so much.

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

We've over achieved in this tournament, we were expected to bomb out early as ever. Not played fantastic but they seem to developed a true team spirit, we now need to carry on and find a bit more creativity in midfield. We didn't freeze, but did seem over awed with the thought of making the final, I didn't see anything special from Alli, Sterling frightened the life out of their defence, a big error in taking him off for Rashford, Vardy would at least run at them with threat.

Ahh well onwards and upwards lads.

I have been thinking about this over-achieved thing and I am not sure we really have? 

In 90 mins we beat Tunisia, Panama, Sweden. We drew with Colombia and Croatia and lost to Belgium side with none of their key players. Surely that is actually the bare minimum of what we should achieve with this set of players. Maybe we are so used to the disappointment of under-achieving that actually doing what we should is a positive. 

Again looking at the games we wobbled in (namely Colombia and Croatia), Southgate failed to make any decisive or successful tactical changes. If anything the changes he made, increased the pressure on the side. Croatia were a bit shaken early on (no doubt due to our goal) but when they composed themselves they found all sorts of problems in the channels between the wing backs and centre backs where the defenders lost control of who should do what, which in turn opened more space in midfield due to Alli and Lingard both being pulled apart and not necessarily having the true defensive grit needed in tough games. 

We did largely show that we played as a team again, especially in the first half of games with fresh legs and teams having to get to grip with the uniqueness of having 2 attacking midfielders and the pace and directness of Sterling, but when the going got tough we resorted to type (one of them called it long ball), we stopped buying into the collective team effort (not closing the spaces we should have and not enough communication across the back 5), we made silly errors that you wouldnt expect from senior professionals at this stage of a big competition and management failed to take any steps to illeviate the problem. One example is Kane in that second half when he could get nowhere supporting the other striker and instead dropped deeper and deeper. I said it pre-tournament that Kane didnt fit this quick and mobile attacking team that wanted to play on the counter attack but instead of taking Kane off and bringing on Vardy in that second half to exploit the space in behind, we took off Sterling and only used Vardy when we were 2-1 down against a packed defence. 

I am hopeful that we can build on this for the future however I hope expectation doesn't rise too much across the country. Realistically we arent going to do that well in Qatar given the climate, so the next two Euros will be a good gauge of how well we have progressed.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I’m not sure about Ali at all internationally. He reminds me a bit of Tim Cahill just not as good. He likes to finish things off and not create. We needed a player who can get the ball in tight areas and bring others into play 

Agree 

We massively lack that Modric esq midfielder that can split defences with a through ball or movement 

Alli has been very poor imo doesn't really contribute much I'd have rather Loftus-Cheek played all the games he did 

isn'tt it a pity? Not that we lost but that we finally discovered that "hierarchical England" has probably cost us 4 or 5 international tournaments.

I state this as clearly as I can.... the egotistical prima donnas such as Terry, Gerrard, Neville, Beckham, Rooney, Rio, Cole, Owen, lampard, Campbell etc have thrown away England's best chances of winning a tournament.  

Everyone of those players and many more have allowed a pecking order, clique, tread on eggshells culture to exist and thrive in our setup.  I couldn't give a shit if Mike Bassett was the manager - those lot had one agenda - their own personal brand and a "false" existence amongst each other.

Supposed leaders my fuckin arse.  They needed to get real and honest and maybe just one of them call out the bullshit that existed between the lot of them like Neville to say.  "Listen...  I'm a man United player, yeah I'm good mates with Beckham and Scholes but let's cut all this false shit out. We sit amongst each other, no cliques... we fight for each other.... we call each other out.... we help each other."

It never happened and we seen a disjointed dishsrmonised team for years. 

Totally agree haf. I think it’s no coincidence the likes of Pickford, trippier, Walker, McGuire, stones, Ali, Lingard, Kane and I’m sure there are others in the squad have played at lower league clubs either on loan or started there and haven’t had the silver spoon treatment. I think that’s a big reason why we have connected as a country. They get what it means to play for the country. I just wish we could get that back to club footie 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

England squad in full: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Lewis Dunk (Brighton ), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Michael Keane (Everton), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (DC United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Keane and Pickford called up.

Also glad to see Wilson get a call-up. I really think he's under-rated, and I wouldn't mind him at Everton (as a foil to another striker we should be signing in January). 

• 4 weeks later...