IGNORED

England

I think I would take Watkins. It feels a bit light to just have Kane and Dom with Sterling being the back up.

Sterling is back to his "couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo" form and it would be criminal to have that much talent behind the striker to not have someone who can put the ball in the back of the net.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think I would take Watkins. It feels a bit light to just have Kane and Dom with Sterling being the back up.

Sterling is back to his "couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo" form and it would be criminal to have that much talent behind the striker to not have someone who can put the ball in the back of the net.

Begs the question why the fuck is he in the squad in the first plece? I'd take Watkins over him all day long.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Begs the question why the fuck is he in the squad in the first plece? I'd take Watkins over him all day long.

He can still beat his man and he is still rapid and can stretch teams. We saw yesterday that having a bunch of players who continually want to come short and towards the ball can cause problems for our own attacking play. Opposition players and managers will be scared of his pace and 1 v 1 ability. That creates space and time for others for all that it might be painfully frustrating!

It is going to be tough to work out how we are going to play in this tournament. The best and most exciting players we have are very similar (Mount, Foden, Grealish). Kane wants to come short as well. Sancho and Sterling, the main wide men, aren't in form. Saka is the only left footed player in those attacking positions but three of those other players want to cut in from the left (Sterling, Grealish, Foden). No-one really wants to play on the right (Sancho?). The central midfielders are workmanlike, whereas the full backs are expansive and not great defensively. The centre backs have a question to answer together. 

I am not convinced Southgate has the nous to sort all of that out but he will deserve the plaudits if he does.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

He can still beat his man and he is still rapid and can stretch teams. We saw yesterday that having a bunch of players who continually want to come short and towards the ball can cause problems for our own attacking play. Opposition players and managers will be scared of his pace and 1 v 1 ability. That creates space and time for others for all that it might be painfully frustrating!

It is going to be tough to work out how we are going to play in this tournament. The best and most exciting players we have are very similar (Mount, Foden, Grealish). Kane wants to come short as well. Sancho and Sterling, the main wide men, aren't in form. Saka is the only left footed player in those attacking positions but three of those other players want to cut in from the left (Sterling, Grealish, Foden). No-one really wants to play on the right (Sancho?). The central midfielders are workmanlike, whereas the full backs are expansive and not great defensively. The centre backs have a question to answer together. 

I am not convinced Southgate has the nous to sort all of that out but he will deserve the plaudits if he does.

Good grief I'm glad I have no tacrical insight, sounds like very hard work. Happily ignorant😂

An odd England team tonight. A 2nd string 11 and Henderson isnt fit enough to start. Keane laying into his selection in the squad and rightly so in my opinion. 

I am not sure how you can have a player who hasn't played for 4 months in the squad. It isnt even as if he is anything special to warrant selection. 

Godfrey gets another run out, albeit at right back. Yep thats 4 right backs in the squad and none of them start today. 

Lacklustre first half. We have hit the woodwork twice but the two best chances have fallen to Romania.

I like the midfield of Phillips and JWP. They both play really agressively and break forward too. JWP looked slow though for their second chance.

Mings has been poor, White looks a good footballer. Godfrey unsurprisingly wasted down the right. 

Front three are frustrating. Dom plays a game by himself. He doesnt want to take a touch and everything goes backwards. Unless its a set piece, he might as well not be playing. Rashford has the beating of his man but the quality after it is shocking. Sancho very similar. It is all well and good beating a man, you need to make the most of it. 

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

What an arsehole, you could see DCL talking to him and was wanting to take the penno, the dickhead playing the big man pulling rank. Fookin glad he missed it.

He was walking around the pitch most of the game too. On 45 minutes and not fit enough to run around for it. 

I've reached the stage in my life where I'm not that arsed about Liverpool and what they do, but what a fucking whopper Jordan Henderson is. Wobbles back into the team and steps up to take a penalty because he has the armband on and makes a right pig's ear of it, right bellend behaviour.

Hopefully he gets a clip round the ear from Southgate, unacceptable IMO. 

https://www.football365.com/news/ben-white-called-up-by-england-for-euro-2020

Ben White it is then.

This shows that Southgate is worried about Maguire and Henderson (he can play midfield as well as CB). Which begs the question why is he taking the pair of them?

We never learn about taking injured players to tournaments, do we?

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We never learn about taking injured players to tournaments, do we?

Goes right back to 1982 when we took Keegan and Brooking to Spain. That said that year was the only finals tounament, '66 aside, where we didn't lose a game. Format was a second group phase and we played Spain and West Germany (after three wins in first group over France, Czechoslovakia and Kuwait) and drew with both; Germany beat Spain though and only one team went though to knock-out (semi-final) so they got the place.

16 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Never scored for England, missed the last penalty he took for England, and isn't a regular penalty-taker... can totally see why the dick head thought he should take it over the player who was supposed to be next in line.

Big time charlie.

Quoted in the Telegraph Sport today, Henderson says  'I was confident, but it was a good save. It wasn't a great penalty, a good height for the goalkeeper, but I am not too bothered'.

If he's not bothered he shouldn't be there.

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Goes right back to 1982 when we took Keegan and Brooking to Spain. That said that year was the only finals tounament, '66 aside, where we didn't lose a game. Format was a second group phase and we played Spain and West Germany (after three wins in first group over France, Czechoslovakia and Kuwait) and drew with both; Germany beat Spain though and only one team went though to knock-out (semi-final) so they got the place.

Remember that tournament Mike but many Toffeetalk members are too young!!

6 hours ago, johnh said:

Quoted in the Telegraph Sport today, Henderson says  'I was confident, but it was a good save. It wasn't a great penalty, a good height for the goalkeeper, but I am not too bothered'.

If he's not bothered he shouldn't be there.

I feel like thats the, I will tell you lot Im not too bothered but actually he is thinking, I should never have been in this side and now shot between the ears if it comes to taking one in the tournament. 

34 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

What was all the oTT praise of sterling? I thought he was crap. 

I fully expected him to be crap but I thought he did OK, Kalvin Phillips though? Leeds are going to struggle keep him if he stays at that level. Dom MOTM for me though, very stylish the way he ran onto the pitch😎