IGNORED

England

38 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

That's not as bad as having to drive on the left-hand side of the road...

You may have a point there, whenever I go to Greece (or any country with left hand drive cars) I switch without thinking. Problems start when I get home, I'm reaching for the gearstick with my right hand for weeks. Go figure.

So once again, I saw video of England fans attacking (I'm assuming) supporters of another team. At what point does FIFA or UEFA punish the national team? 

The Mexican fans chanted a homophobic slur whenever opposing keepers would send a long kick. Eventually the team was fined, and I believe Mexican fans were also banned from attending games. There might have even been a threat of points being deducted from competitions. 

The violence that's been reported throughout this tournament is far worse than a chant, so where is the punishment? If UEFA or FIFA says "Right, if your fans keep this up, you'll be deducted x-many points from your world cup qualification."

I also fully recognize that England are not the only ones guilty of this type of fan behavior, and I also know that it's a small portion of supporters who are ruining it for everyone. But sorry... eventually something has to be done. And if it means docking points, I'm all for it. It's horrendous seeing some of the video coming out after the match today.

5 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So once again, I saw video of England fans attacking (I'm assuming) supporters of another team. At what point does FIFA or UEFA punish the national team? 

The Mexican fans chanted a homophobic slur whenever opposing keepers would send a long kick. Eventually the team was fined, and I believe Mexican fans were also banned from attending games. There might have even been a threat of points being deducted from competitions. 

The violence that's been reported throughout this tournament is far worse than a chant, so where is the punishment? If UEFA or FIFA says "Right, if your fans keep this up, you'll be deducted x-many points from your world cup qualification."

I also fully recognize that England are not the only ones guilty of this type of fan behavior, and I also know that it's a small portion of supporters who are ruining it for everyone. But sorry... eventually something has to be done. And if it means docking points, I'm all for it. It's horrendous seeing some of the video coming out after the match today.

There were incidents all day from them, it was a disgrace and they embarrass themselves every single time. I say themselves but they won't actually care, it'll be the well-behaved fans that are embarrassed.

Something does need to be done.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Well, Southgate has confirmed he wants to remain manager for the World Cup. Not a surprise and I'm sure he will get to do that.

I don't think he's the right man though and we'll never win anything with him leading us.

I agree.  Why did he bring two subs on with only a minute of extra time to play?  Why did he allow two young lads, who had hardly touched the ball, to take crucial penalties?  Why does he allow Kane to play as an attacking midfielder instead of a striker?  His management of subs throughout the competition has been poor.

One paper referred to his 'calmness' on the touchline.  There have been many managers in history whose 'calmness' turned out to be 'clueless'.

Don't get why people have a problem with subs coming on to take a pen. They've been practising for 6 weeks. My issue is with those selected. I'd like to know if Rashford was doing that stupid run up in training, if so all the blame goes on Southgate. 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

There were incidents all day from them, it was a disgrace and they embarrass themselves every single time. I say themselves but they won't actually care, it'll be the well-behaved fans that are embarrassed.

Something does need to be done.

Yes, it does. England, sadly, has always had a problem with fans, but the nation can't turn a blind eye. Looking from the outside today, England comes across as a country with significant racial problems and an uncontrolled bully element. I'm sure this is not an image they'd want to portray, so now is the time to act.

10 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Couldn't agree more. I am disgusted by what I saw from some of those English fans yesterday and not to mention the racist abuse that has followed.

I know it is only a small minority but it is still too many.

2 hours ago, johnh said:

I agree.  Why did he bring two subs on with only a minute of extra time to play?  Why did he allow two young lads, who had hardly touched the ball, to take crucial penalties?  Why does he allow Kane to play as an attacking midfielder instead of a striker?  His management of subs throughout the competition has been poor.

One paper referred to his 'calmness' on the touchline.  There have been many managers in history whose 'calmness' turned out to be 'clueless'.

My view with Southgate is that whilst he does a lot of hard work behind the scenes on preparing the players, balancing the squad and getting the side in the right place to perform, he doesn't have a clue when it comes to tactics and it is very much a case of, "If I set you up like this it will be difficult for them to score" and then it is up to the players to work out what they need to do from there.

33 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Don't get why people have a problem with subs coming on to take a pen. They've been practising for 6 weeks. My issue is with those selected. I'd like to know if Rashford was doing that stupid run up in training, if so all the blame goes on Southgate. 

Practicing behind closed doors, no doubt after training is a world away from taking a pen after sitting on the bench for 120 minutes under the massive pressure. I don't see why Southgate would have thought that would have been a good idea.

OK, the sport part is over. We chose to disagree on which team to support, and we bantered about it good-naturedly.

But now it's different. Britain, as do many other countries, has a problem with racism. This is far more serious than any sport, and it's gratifying to read that others agree. Did Brexit feed this? I've heard some say this, but the problem has been around longer than that. How do we fix it? For a start, chase down the abusers and hold them accountable.

But it takes more than that. I'm a firm believer in the principle that 'silence is acceptance'. No matter how unpopular it can make us sometimes, we absolutely have to stand against racism in all its forms and push back. When a comment is made, challenge it - good-naturedly maybe, but challenge it nonetheless. Only when racism is consistently viewed as unacceptable will the problem be addressed. Silence provides encouragement, and nasty comments will only become nastier when left unchallenged.

I'm encouraged by the united response already witnessed on these forums. (And now I can climb down from my soapbox!)

10 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

OK, the sport part is over. We chose to disagree on which team to support, and we bantered about it good-naturedly.

But now it's different. Britain, as do many other countries, has a problem with racism. This is far more serious than any sport, and it's gratifying to read that others agree. Did Brexit feed this? I've heard some say this, but the problem has been around longer than that. How do we fix it? For a start, chase down the abusers and hold them accountable.

But it takes more than that. I'm a firm believer in the principle that 'silence is acceptance'. No matter how unpopular it can make us sometimes, we absolutely have to stand against racism in all its forms and push back. When a comment is made, challenge it - good-naturedly maybe, but challenge it nonetheless. Only when racism is consistently viewed as unacceptable will the problem be addressed. Silence provides encouragement, and nasty comments will only become nastier when left unchallenged.

I'm encouraged by the united response already witnessed on these forums. (And now I can climb down from my soapbox!)

Couldn't agree more whole-heartedly with everything said, Steve.

26 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Britain does have a problem with racism, the world has a problem with racism, these problems are not the fault of football these problems aren’t the fault of football fans, these individuals who perpetrate the violence and racial abuse latched on to football and the team’s they follow as a medium to indulge in their sick way of life not the other way around, football most definitely didn’t look for them. I’m a football fan I’m an English fan so I get offended when people use the term the English fans are this and that, in a general way that encompasses English fans in general, for me and millions like me we don’t acknowledge these low life’s  as fans whether for their country or club and any nationality. Yes football needs expose these morons as does every part of society, but please don’t call them football fans they have a completely different agenda to what a true football fan is, and by calling them football fans you in someways give them a legitimacy to what they are doing as if they belong to something that is there for decent people. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Brexit/Trump getting elected opened up a Pandora's box of racism. These people already existed it's just now they feel more comfortable than they have in a long time; they feel free to say/do what they want no matter who it hurts/affects. It's long been a problem, it's just floating to the surface now. 

This. The racists got a voice, in some of the highest offices in the western world. 
The problem isn’t a football problem, as a few others have said, it’s an issue in so many countries. My biggest worry is that the problem is only going to get worse. 

Im not trying to defend the actions of the mindless idiots in any way shape or form here, but that final didn’t need to be an 8pm kick off. That could have been 4pm, not that these idiots were all pissed and that’s why they acted like knobheads, they were just knobheads. But I honestly think an earlier kick off, giving four hours less time to congregate around Wembley would have made some difference. A lack of support around the stadium obviously didn’t help too, not enough security (kids on minimum wage stewarding tens of thousands of people if not the answer) and no police presence. The idiots causing the trouble are absolutely to blame, but the lack of organisation and thoughtful planning certainly played its part. 

Ive heard Rome had two rings of fencing around their stadium. You had to show tickets and identification to get through each fence and then again to get into the stadium.