IGNORED

John Stones

[i posted this in today's MOTM thread, but it belongs here.]

I keep describing Stones as an "elegant" player. Maybe I copied that from someone else, but it's seems apt. But I also see a very flawed defender, too often out of position, ball watching, unwilling or unable to nudge strikers just enough to throw them off, unaware of opponents moving into his space and past him.

So his "elegance" must refer to his forward movement, deft dribbling touch, good pick-passing once past midfield.

I suppose it's more likely that in a couple of years he'll have learned how to be a better defender. But putting him at DCM for some matches is worth a look.

[i posted this in today's MOTM thread, but it belongs here.]

I keep describing Stones as an "elegant" player. Maybe I copied that from someone else, but it's seems apt. But I also see a very flawed defender, too often out of position, ball watching, unwilling or unable to nudge strikers just enough to throw them off, unaware of opponents moving into his space and past him.

So his "elegance" must refer to his forward movement, deft dribbling touch, good pick-passing once past midfield.

I suppose it's more likely that in a couple of years he'll have learned how to be a better defender. But putting him at DCM for some matches is worth a look.

Agree mate.

Defending takes maturity and he's young.

That will come.

Skill. You are born with. This lad has it.

He looks so good striding forward.

Whoever said he looked let keep Rio Ferdinand got it spot on. Absolute class today.

Take a bow son.

So why not do what Pochettino has done with Dier and play him at DM? Because if he makes defensive mistakes there it won't cost us goals, and he will get to prove if how good he is on the ball.

Ah yes, Poch is a top-class tactician, Martinez is... well, gash, and that''s being kind.

Yep, enjoyed watching him today (except a couple of marking errors!).

He also smashed the ball clear a couple of times...uunbelievable!!

And when we scored, he star jumped up and punched the air!

He's at his best when he is allowed to push up and carry the ball into space.

Certainly DM is am option if his overall defensive game doesn't improve.

So why not do what Pochettino has done with Dier and play him at DM? Because if he makes defensive mistakes there it won't cost us goals, and he will get to prove if how good he is on the ball.

Ah yes, Poch is a top-class tactician, Martinez is... well, gash, and that''s being kind.

For me a proper defensive coach to work with him another year or so and if there are still the defending brain farts move him to DCM. But I think he just needs a proper coach to help him fine tune his skills.

I still don't think it'd work myself, but that's just me.

And I thought he had a great game yesterday. Yes he did make a few defensive errors but I don't think it's because he's a poor defender, I think it's because he's a young defender. I really enjoyed watching him play yesterday, both facets of the game. I think I gave him the biggest cheer when in the second half he absolutely wellied the ball away from our area out for a throw-in :lol:.

I still don't think it'd work myself, but that's just me.

And I thought he had a great game yesterday. Yes he did make a few defensive errors but I don't think it's because he's a poor defender, I think it's because he's a young defender. I really enjoyed watching him play yesterday, both facets of the game. I think I gave him the biggest cheer when in the second half he absolutely wellied the ball away from our area out for a throw-in :lol:.

Same here , I thought he was excellent yesterday.

He was solid defensively and also played a huge part setting the tempo we played at in the second half by driving forward with the ball and setting up attacks

Still a young lad learning his trade, experience is a massive asset for a CB and he will only learn and improve as he gains that experience

He has all the tools to be a truly world class centre half, so play him there

What a ridiculous comparison, putting Stones early career against other's career ending stats. Obviously if he'd have compared like for like it wouldn't have supported his argument (or he would have) so he moves the goalposts. Typical journo crap, comparing a kid with people with a decade or more of top level experience. Tosser.

"He has made four such mistakes in his 73 Premier League appearances. Error-prone and much-derided Liverpool centre-back Dejan Lovren has four in 79. Ryan Shawcross has three in 252 games. Jamie Carragher made 1 in his final 148 appearances. Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand made four between them in their last 282 games, at a time when they were losing their pace in their mid-to-late 30s. Even calamitous Titus Bramble made only four errors in his final 117 games of his career."

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen a rumour on Reddit from a guy who claims to be ITK, saying Stones is going to City.

Gutted is not the word, if this is true. So fucking typical that as soon as Martinez is gone and the team starts to come good, Stones fucks off.

Nothing will happen in or out while we don't have a manager, and certainly not concerning a player away at the Euros. Relax.