IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting looking at our stats so far this season.

Obviously we've been playing very much fast counter attacks and it's worked well thus far.  I've not seen much of our play as I've been away since the start of the season so looking forward to getting in some proper viewing now i'm back!

Possession:  37.5%  - 19th in the league for this ahead of only Burnley.

Interesting this, less than 40% really seems way too low to me.  It's ok playing a counter attacking game and it worked wonders for Leicester when they won the league but to have such low possession given the teams we've played it's almost like we're giving up possession deliberately! If we'd played Man City or another top side I'd understand but I'd be interested to know from people who have watched all of the games how we've gone about having so little of the ball?

Defensive play

13.7 Interceptions per game - second most behind Chelsea (no doubt caused by Liverpool game at weekend)

Fouls per game at 11.7 - 3rd most in the league

We are a reasonable 12 for shots against (12.3) and 8th for tackles (18.7)

The high interception count shows how hard we are working at the back, Keane, Coleman and Holgate topping the figures on interceptions.  

Passing

Another one i'm not too mad on we are 19th on passing accuracy with only 71%.  Obviously our possession is always going to be on the low side if are regularly giving the ball away through bad passes.  Whether this is sloppy play, desperate hit and hope passes or trying champagne passes I don't know though a quick look into it further I can see we are 3rd on the most inaccurate long balls played but 13th on short passes so obviously we are going direct often and failing frequently.  We are also 19th on total passes but this isn't too surprising given our possession.  

Attacking play

A major plus seems to be that our direct counter attacking is proving successful not only in goals and results but we are 5th (15) for most shots and 3rd (6.3) for most shots on target which would have been unheard of under Carlo where we were struggling to create chances.

DCL has had 3.7 shots per game of which 2.3 on target (all be it 2 pens in that) and others are also getting plenty in there.

Summary

I know stats can be misleading but I can see some positives and negatives in these stats, on the plus we are working a game plan well to counter attack fast using the pace we now have in our ranks and are successfully creating chances.  On the other hand  having so little of the ball and such low passing stats can only get you so far.  The only team last season who were really an outlier from the number and accuracy of passes for the season was West Ham, admittedly they are a team Moyes has got playing a similar long ball counter attacking style.  Hopefully with a bit of time we'll see our possession increase a bit if nothing else to help manage the game and work rate of the players who must be spending a lot of time chasing the ball.

Good post @FairWooney

I think those stats fit in with what we are seeing on the pitch. 

In terms of our basic intent, not too much has changed over the summer. We are still happy to sit deeper and let teams pass the ball around to our around the half way line. After that we are much more aggressive in the press. We don't let teams get into the final third almost unchallenged anymore. The press is also much more co-ordinated and I think that is shown in the turnover stats. Whilst we do sit deeper, we aren't as deep and when we do build attacks, the centre backs are more prepared to play higher up the pitch (to Keane's detriment!). 

Out attacking play, whilst not completely dissimilar in that we try and counter attack, actually works this season. Last year it was dreadful, and whilst we still play quite direct and still don't recycle possession that well, we are getting forward with numbers and creating enough chances to win games. We also have small spells of dominance, but they haven't lasted for too long (especially Brighton / Leeds). Scoring first against Leeds and Brighton was very important for us, compared to Southampton who are much less of a counter attacking threat. 

It is definitely a case of seeing how we go. Burnley will be a good test as they turned us over last season playing their own brand of counter attacking football. Then it will be interesting to see how we get on against the sides better on the ball and whether they pen us in or whether we can still get at them on the counter.

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Reality check…

Gbamin is the only one who maybe doesn’t belong on that list but the reality is he’s also been a waste of money up to now - albeit down to rotten luck.

Those top 3 knock me absolutely sick. Particularly the top 2 because it was obvious they were going to be disastrous for us - those sorts of fees for the ability they were bringing was fucking criminal.

On 31/08/2021 at 09:46, Romey 1878 said:

Launching tomorrow (23rd of August) ... and yet there's still been nothing :lol:.

I still can’t work out how I will sell mine and my sons back together. It appears from looking at the site you can list them individually but not as a pair? I this is correct this is crap as if mine gets resold and my sons doesn’t if in a worse situation than not selling either. 🤦‍♂️ Stubhub was easy. 

39 minutes ago, barryj said:

I still can’t work out how I will sell mine and my sons back together. It appears from looking at the site you can list them individually but not as a pair? I this is correct this is crap as if mine gets resold and my sons doesn’t if in a worse situation than not selling either. 🤦‍♂️ Stubhub was easy. 

So there is actually something up now? Where is it? It’s rare I can’t go but I’d still like to know. 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

So there is actually something up now? Where is it? It’s rare I can’t go but I’d still like to know. 

I found it on the ticket section of the club website. It’s not been well advertised or made easy find. As I said I can only seem to list them individually though which is no good for me. 

40 minutes ago, barryj said:

I found it on the ticket section of the club website. It’s not been well advertised or made easy find. As I said I can only seem to list them individually though which is no good for me. 

Cheers. Doesn't surprise me that it's not been well advertised after the shit show that was the season tickets!