IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

Just a bit of perspective after seeing all the negativity in the match day thread.

We have 1 less point with 8 games left than we did in the entirety of last season... a season where, bar the first few fixtures, have been plagued by injuries.

I am fully aware that every club has injuries but as many in such a key area - in my opinion the most important area of central midfield. Look at the reigning champions - their injuries have been the most moaned about/ highest profile - all at centre back. They tried to sort this by putting Fabinho/Henderson (less so) but actually they’ve been better since they’ve had worse players in Kabak and Phillips there - why? Because central midfield is where you control and win more games and having Fabinho there, although they have many other options in that position as apposed to defence, makes them a better team. I’m certain, we could have lost players in any other position and coped better this season. It’s been so hard to watch at times but I understand why we’ve focused on being hard to beat over a more exciting system.

26 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Just a bit of perspective after seeing all the negativity in the match day thread.

We have 1 less point with 8 games left than we did in the entirety of last season... a season where, bar the first few fixtures, have been plagued by injuries.

I am fully aware that every club has injuries but as many in such a key area - in my opinion the most important area of central midfield. Look at the reigning champions - their injuries have been the most moaned about/ highest profile - all at centre back. They tried to sort this by putting Fabinho/Henderson (less so) but actually they’ve been better since they’ve had worse players in Kabak and Phillips there - why? Because central midfield is where you control and win more games and having Fabinho there, although they have many other options in that position as apposed to defence, makes them a better team. I’m certain, we could have lost players in any other position and coped better this season. It’s been so hard to watch at times but I understand why we’ve focused on being hard to beat over a more exciting system.

I cannot wait for this season to end and that is not how I pictured it being at the start of the season. It's just petering out into nothingness. Again.

A lack of activity in the January transfer window is starting to hit home, we have as many injured as are fit with a lack of real quality in the squad to bring in. I have to be honest I wasn’t really expecting Europe this season I just wanted to see progression, bar injuries to key players when most are fit there has been progression in the way we have played. Personally next summer’s transfer window is pivotal to where we are going we can’t afford to hold back or get it wrong, for me next season is make or break for Ancelotti and Brand’s, if they are given the funds and we don’t improve heads need to roll. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

A lack of activity in the January transfer window is starting to hit home, we have as many injured as are fit with a lack of real quality in the squad to bring in. I have to be honest I wasn’t really expecting Europe this season I just wanted to see progression, bar injuries to key players when most are fit there has been progression in the way we have played. Personally next summer’s transfer window is pivotal to where we are going we can’t afford to hold back or get it wrong, for me next season is make or break for Ancelotti and Brand’s, if they are given the funds and we don’t improve heads need to roll. 

Whilst I get the frustration, rolling heads so quickly is what got us into this mess in the first place. I'm expecting next season as stabilisation too, this season was more a first step towards that but injuries have put us back in the planning a bit whilst also highlighting the key issues. Patience is an absolute must for the next 18 months at least, it really will take that long to recover from Walsh, Fat Sam, Koeman and Silva etc...

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Whilst I get the frustration, rolling heads so quickly is what got us into this mess in the first place. I'm expecting next season as stabilisation too, this season was more a first step towards that but injuries have put us back in the planning a bit whilst also highlighting the key issues. Patience is an absolute must for the next 18 months at least, it really will take that long to recover from Walsh, Fat Sam, Koeman and Silva etc...

We will be closer to ‘clearing the decks’ this summer with the players out of contract. There will still be deadwood that we’ll be stuck with (Tosun most frustratingly) but hopefully we’ll be able to shift a few like Bernard and Kenny too.

Things do need putting in perspective a little though. Excited to see a hopefully fully fit squad plus a few extra newbies come start of next season. Just a shame that the initial excitement has turned into the same old same old. Our fully fit squad at the start of the season looked very promising and we need to remember that. 

Screenshot_20210413_152718.jpg

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

3 years I would agree, that being said my bar for heads rolling is making Europe.  Any kind, even Europa conference.  Or winning a cup which gets us Europe as well.  I would hope that next year we are in the top 7 mix. Yes we’ve had a shite number of players, but next year we should have a solid xi but more actual depth so top 7 would be realistic.

Fourteen years ago today, Josh's second visit to Goodison and what an end to the game! Van der Meyde about to come on with ten minutes left then Lescott scores and he's sat down again, Anderson Silva de França comes on after 88 minutes for his entire three minute Everton career, Bent scores on 89 then McFudge with a worldie in injury time to take the points and pretty much secure a European spot. Was a real roller-coaster!

45 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

That McFadden goal is one of the best goals I’ve seen live. 

20 minutes ago, Vranny said:

It’s still my favourite Everton goal, honestly. 

Felt very lucky to be there, we were in the main stand. Loads of people left when Charlton equalised, bad decision😂.

100_0193.JPG

This is good news for fans in the EPL, maybe including a few of you!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/15/premier-league-penultimate-round-covid-19-lockdown-eased

Also, some interesting implications for our late-season schedule.

1. If City make the CL final, the City-Everton match, Sunday May 23, would be sandwiched between City’s May 18-19 EPL match and the CL final, May 29.  Maybe City would rest most of their best players.  And maybe we’d still have Europa League possibility.

2. The switch for the Everton-Wolves match to May 18-19 removes a logical, even likely, date for rescheduling our game-in-hand match at Villa.  And in turn that makes the most likely dates to reschedule Villa either a few days before (April 27-28) or a few days after (May 4-5) our home match with ..... Villa.

Anybody see a more likely date to reschedule Villa?  Maybe May 15, now that our final home match, Wolves, is to be moved to May 18-19?

I might be completely missing something here but we still have 2 games to play against Villa before the seasons finish? I can see our fixture for them after the Arsenal game - are we still waiting for the postponed match to be scheduled?

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I might be completely missing something here but we still have 2 games to play against Villa before the seasons finish? I can see our fixture for them after the Arsenal game - are we still waiting for the postponed match to be scheduled?

The PL are awaiting to rearrange it for when Grealish is back and fully firing.

Alan Ball's son, Jimmy, has taken over as Forest Green Rover's "interim" manager after they sacked the last guy and started with a win today. I was at Goodison when he placed flowers at the Gwladys Street end in 2007 after his dad died (ManU game); it was a game we lost (though a very exciting one where our goalkeeping crisis ultimately screwed us) but for probably the only time for me it was more about "being there" than result.

Thanks to my FGR supporter bro for the info.